Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Should Daddy be waking up with Baby at night also?

Posted by   + Show Post

My little boy is 5 months old now and for the past 5 months I've had the luxury of being a stay-at-home-mom.

My son still wakes up about 3-4 times a night (some times more) and, since my husband works 10 hours a day at a mentally exhausting job, I have always gotten up with the baby every single time every single night.

But, I feel like, being a stay-at-home-mom is just as physically and mentally exhausting as his job except it's not just 10 hours a day, it's 24. I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's time my Husband starts waking up with the baby from time to time so that I can finally get some rest. I'm wondering if that sounds reasonable? And if so, is there a nonabrasive way to talk to him about it?

by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Replies (31-40):
mama2my2boys
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:23 PM
my dh always helped at night if it was past 11 then i would get up with baby change feed etc he had to be up for work at 5am came home at 3 would help with baby while i cooked then i would sleep till baby woke if dh was asleep....with ds 2 i got up more often (dh had a different job truck driver) so he needed all his sleep....with dd dh was unemployed so he did alot cooking,cleaning and taking care of the kids.....but no matter what your dh does for work he should help with the baby at night a lil and exp on his days off he needs to help alot
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:34 PM
Dd is breastfed, so there was never any point in waking DF up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarineLewis
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:40 PM
I'm right there with you. My ds is 11 mo. We've been cosleeping since birth, but it's time he gets his crib. Being pregnant I don't know how I'm going to handle waking up to care for him through the night. He still wakes up 3-4 times. Only 2 IF we are lucky. Dh is currently unemployed and so that will not cause issues. But I always wake up to him first and when I try to wake up dh he mumbles, rolls over and snores.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:40 PM

At tha age, it was only me waking up at night because we co-slept and breastfed on demand.  He helped for the first couple months when baby needed diaper change in the middle of the night but after baby stops needing middle of night changing, there is nothing for him to help with.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I always got up with my children. I nursed and my husband works long hours. On his night's off, he would help but it was just easier for me to nurse baby as soon as they woke so we both could get right back to sleep. All my children started sleeping through the night very young too.

calvinsmommy18
by Nicole on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:23 PM
My dh never got up with the kids in the middle of the night. And I'm not a SAHM. After the first 7 or 8 weeks I was back to work too. Also my kids were FF. BUT my kids started sleeping thru the night at 14 and 10 weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hi_Rae
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:25 PM
My dh gets up with me and the baby every single time
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirstina
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I never expected my husband to get up with our babies even when we were both working however I breastfeed and they slept all night by a few months old.

mollysmom328
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I exclusively breastfed my baby at home.  My dh would try occasionally especially if he was still up, but only the boob would soothe her.  There was no point for him to get up with her when I could put her back to sleep in a few minutes.  We both work fulltime outside the home.

mjimaging
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:47 PM
When DS was bfing at night I got up with him. Well we coslept so I rolled over and he latched. Now that he's night weaned and bed weaned, DH gets up with him. We both work full time and have since he was five months old so sleep is valuable for us both. But I got up for three years, it won't hurt him to do it now. Besides, getting up for us is covering with a blanket on te floor. He's not allowed to come in our bed unless he's sick because we took our bed back finally. I would split the shifts. It's exhausting to be the only one to get up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)