Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Should Daddy be waking up with Baby at night also?

Posted by   + Show Post

My little boy is 5 months old now and for the past 5 months I've had the luxury of being a stay-at-home-mom.

My son still wakes up about 3-4 times a night (some times more) and, since my husband works 10 hours a day at a mentally exhausting job, I have always gotten up with the baby every single time every single night.

But, I feel like, being a stay-at-home-mom is just as physically and mentally exhausting as his job except it's not just 10 hours a day, it's 24. I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's time my Husband starts waking up with the baby from time to time so that I can finally get some rest. I'm wondering if that sounds reasonable? And if so, is there a nonabrasive way to talk to him about it?

by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Replies (41-50):
Pink.Frosting
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:51 PM

When our kids were babies, I never had my husband get up with them.  He had to work all day and he had an almost one hour commute to work.  I didn't want him to not sleep at night and then possibly fall asleep at the wheel in the way to work.  I knew that I would be able to grab a nap here and there during the day with the kids, since I was home full time..  But he wouldn't be able to do the same thing if he had missed sleep by being up at night.  So I didn't think it was fair for him to have to get up in the night.

diamondgyal16
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:53 PM

yes he should just cause he goes to work and you dont doesnt mean anything he can get up at least once to show hes willing to help being a stay at home mom is physically and mentally exhausting and its a full time job with the pay being able to see you child grow up tell him to get up and help

tyrelsmom
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:01 PM
I'd ask him to do one weekend night or something like that. I've always done it myself because my babies were breastfed, though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SaraSnider
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:43 AM
Idk maybe ask if he would wake up with him once a night.. Im a single mom so no hubby to help me at night but i cant wait for my son to be old enough to spend a night with daddy
shesliketx
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:45 AM
My husband only ever helped when I was at my breaking point.

He has to get up and be at work very early (he's a soldier) and when he is overly tired he will fall asleep driving, so it was safer for me to get up. I figured out ways to nap :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bbyB10
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:09 AM
Mine has since day one. She is 13 months and still gets up makes a bottle, and burps her
KeiraRose
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me 

ohbamitsans
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:45 AM
I get up during the night everyday except Fridays lol it's been working but once he comes home on weekdays he lets me sleep until I get up its awesome somewhat i just sleep really late and can stay up till early in the morning :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvhubandbabys
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:53 AM
Mine does he gets the first feeding. Baby usualy goes to sleep around 9...wakes around 12...my dh is a night owl is usually up until 1 am anyways. He doesn't do it everynight maybe once or twice a week.

Our bby is FF if I was still BF there would be no point to him getting up.

Ask if he will take one feeding maybe the earlier one n u go to bed earlier on one of his days off. He can help esp if he doesn't have work the next day.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
landen1229
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:55 AM

The biggest problem I have witht that subject is right now my 2 year oldis sick and yes my husband working 8  hours a day and has to get up early for work. I also have to get up early to babysit some other kids. So I agree with you that I think since he also helped make the child that he should also have to get up with the child and help. Maybe not every night but every once in awhile would be nice. I don't see where it hurts for the husband to help with the child. This is mearly my option so don't judge me for it or bad mouth me because of it.

BE POSTIVE towards this please...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)