Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Am I being over protective or is it a mom thing?

Posted by   + Show Post

Last Tuesday (Dec 4th) I gave birth to my first child miss Keira Rose and every since I've not wanted her out of my sight. I don't trust anyone with her (including my husband) unless I'm in the room watching. I wake up in the middle of the night just to make sure she's still breathing and no matter where we go or what we do I see all the dangers and what can hurt her. Is this normal? Will it get any better? Am I just going batshit crazy? Help fellow mommy's!

- I just want to add that no one in my family including my husband are a threat in any way to me or my daughter, I just feel like that having her in my arms is the only place she truly safe.

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:09 AM
Replies (21-30):
Vinterland
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Normal. :)

Summerlion1123
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:37 AM
My son is 7 I still check his breathing and temp before I go to bed lol. I have always trusted my husband with my babies though and am fairly comfortable leaving my babies with close family.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
smac28
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Definitely normal especially since she was JUST born!

expectantmom81
by Erin on Dec. 14, 2012 at 9:18 AM
It's totally normal and every mom is affected differently. I actually was really relaxed about it but I have friends that were the same way you are now. You will always have that worry about the dangers but you will adjust to the idea of someone else taking care of her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NightShade19
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:23 PM
I went through this with my first and again now with my second. I STILL check my 9 year old once a night to make sure she's breathing!!!

It gets a little better, but worrying is part of being a mommy.
LUV-my-B4B1ES
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:59 PM

I was like that, I  still am but not as bad as when my kids were newborns. 

LUV-my-B4B1ES
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I was so bad that when we were in the car and i couldn't see her because the carseat was rear facing, even though i had the mirror I had to keep one hand in the back to make sure they were breathing and now my 5 year old is just now quit having to hold my hand in the car

Misash103
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 3:07 PM
You're totally normal. If you weren't acting this way I'd wonder if you had bonded with baby :) mine are 15 yrs, 8 years and 4 months old. And I was that way with all 3 of them. It gets better but right now you will think you're crazy lol. I was also jealous when other people held my first born. I wasn't jealous with the other 2.
MommyofSCC
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 3:18 PM

So normal.  Im still that way and my dd is 6 months old.

sweetmissy_05
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 3:24 PM

It's normal!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)