Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Am I being over protective or is it a mom thing?

Posted by   + Show Post

Last Tuesday (Dec 4th) I gave birth to my first child miss Keira Rose and every since I've not wanted her out of my sight. I don't trust anyone with her (including my husband) unless I'm in the room watching. I wake up in the middle of the night just to make sure she's still breathing and no matter where we go or what we do I see all the dangers and what can hurt her. Is this normal? Will it get any better? Am I just going batshit crazy? Help fellow mommy's!

- I just want to add that no one in my family including my husband are a threat in any way to me or my daughter, I just feel like that having her in my arms is the only place she truly safe.

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:09 AM
Replies (31-40):
Mamasluvin
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I can be totally honest here and say...with my first child...I was the same way. I just recently had my 4th child and since then...my obsessive mommy role is over ;) I think its natural, but just remember....at least share her with your husband...this is why you have to really take the time to realize that he needs and wants to be around her too. If you don't (and i am speaking out of experience) you husband may choose to not help in fear you won;t let him, then...9 months down the road...or a year...when you REALLY need him...he will feel like he can't and that if he tries you might jump in and do it anyhow. Just remember...he (your husband) is not you...therefore the way he holds her, changes her and hangs with her will be different from the way you do it. Doesn't mean it's wrong...just different

. hugs Mama. Bieng a new mommy bring out all kinds of changes...be aware of those changes and ask for help if you need it. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Oh and Congrats on your little girl...girls rock!!!

mommamaggi
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Haha you're totally bat shit crazy, and it's completely normal ;)

We tend to coddle the first, over protect them and shield them from everything, rush them to the doctor over every cough or sneeze or fever.

The second we're still a little overly cautious but don't freak out over every little cough, sneeze or booboo.

The third we tend to be much more relaxed because at this point we've realized that kids are resilient and accidentally bumping their head on the corner of the wall as we rush to save a toilet from being ruined by a toy is no big deal. lol

SRUsarahSC
by Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 3:55 PM

we all do that lol.  I don't even like my mom watching her for any amount of time.

mommamaggi
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Oh... and let daddy help so you can sleep hon; you're no good to your baby once you get to that point that you're so sleep deprived that you feel stoned and get a headrush every time you move. Daddies have instincts too, and are just as good at caring for their babies as we are, they just do things a little... differently. It's not wrong, it's just different as the commenter above me said. Just as they will have a different relationship that you and the baby, they will have a different way of caring for the baby but that's a good thing ;)

pittymama
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 3:58 PM

normal. my DD is 6 months old (first and only baby) and i am still that way

luvmylilbean
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I am the same way. My daughter is 19 months and I still feel that way.

jridgill
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 9:16 PM
It is normal at first. Congrats
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amy1763
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Totally normal and as baby gets bigger you will be more comfortable with others caring for her. Congrats!

KeiraRose
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Thank you ladies!! I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one. I've gotten better when it comes to hubby helping out and holding her more. It still makes me nervous because he doesn't hold her the way I think he should lol but she seems perfectly happy when he holds her so I leave it alone. I've even let him pick out her outfits and dress her and I have to say he does a pretty good job lol.

PEEK05
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM

I don't think it's normal to not trust your husband.  However, that being said, she is too little to want anyone to be with her alone in my opinion too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN