Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Baby stopped Breathing *Edit*

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:24 AM
  • 127 Replies
2 moms liked this

Last night I was changing my babies clothes and she was crying and yelling at me like she does every time I fuss with her. She doesn't like it when I do anything to her. Well last night she got so mad at me she held her breath in what you can say was like a silent cry. She has done that several times before, but this time it went on further so I stopped trying to calm her down and then she turned blue and went limp. I was freaking out I called her name put her on the floor and started to begin CPR and I finally got her to breath again, it was slow and raspy to begin with but eventually she gained consciousness and was fine. But Holy Crap!!! Scared the poo out of me.

My DF's mother said DF did that to her when he was a baby, I didn't believe that could happen to me. What are the odds? I just got to try and not make her so mad and when she gets to point no matter how long it takes just calm her down I guess. I have had 4 children and raised my little sister and no way in my life have I seen a baby do such a thing.

Edit for all you people who have no reading comprehension-

It happened on Sunday night, I was not on CM while it was happening. I wasn't looking for people to tell me to call 911, or take my baby to the doctor, or the ER. Already took care of that thanks. I am a responsible adult and mother. I was just asking if anybody has had that happen before. And yes CPR at the time WAS Necessary. You were not there and I do not have to give you every detail.

by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matofour
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:28 AM
2 moms liked this
Honestly, once she passes out she will automatically start breathing.
It's fairly common for young kids to hold their breath, especially when mad, upset, crying.
But, once she passes out her body will take over and she will cry.
Scary, I know, but very common.
I have a friend who all her kids do this, (when they were little), and her dr was not concerned at all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sunivondea
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:33 AM
22 moms liked this
A couple times, when my kids were infants, they cried so hard they weren't breathing. I usually blow in their face. Just a gentle blow right in their mouth/nose. It just startled them a little and they snap out of it.
Aphrodisiac
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Never heard of it before, she didn't start breathing on her own and time was going by, I had to do something. It wasn't right. She didn't come back crying. Once she started breathing again she fell asleep.

Quoting matofour:

Honestly, once she passes out she will automatically start breathing.
It's fairly common for young kids to hold their breath, especially when mad, upset, crying.
But, once she passes out her body will take over and she will cry.
Scary, I know, but very common.
I have a friend who all her kids do this, (when they were little), and her dr was not concerned at all.

Aphrodisiac
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:36 AM

That wouldn't of worked she was blue, limp and there was no sign of life.

Quoting Sunivondea:

A couple times, when my kids were infants, they cried so hard they weren't breathing. I usually blow in their face. Just a gentle blow right in their mouth/nose. It just startled them a little and they snap out of it.

erikays
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Wow, I'm sorry I would of freaked out! My friends son has breathing spells and has video taped it. It's so scary!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jazzieel
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:41 AM

My youngest son would hold his breath instantly as an infant when he touched water. Even a wet cloth on him and he would stop breathing. He was our 4th child and I had even babysitted a lot of babies before I had kids of my own. I had never seen this before. It had me freaked. I told his doc and she said don't worry eventually he will no longer be able to hold his breath and he will automaticly start to breath again. She was right and he eventually out grew it.

hollinicole
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:45 AM
9 moms liked this
As the other ladies said some babies will hold their breath and come back, since your baby did not I would be calling her doctor frist thing to have her checked out to make sure there is not some other problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 9:16 AM
7 moms liked this
Do it when she begins the "silent cry" then it will not get to the point where she turns blue

Quoting Aphrodisiac:

That wouldn't of worked she was blue, limp and there was no sign of life.

Quoting Sunivondea:

MommyRJ
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 9:24 AM
My brother did this until he was like 5. He's get mad and hold his breath til he passed out.
Wifey_MommyToBe
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 9:37 AM
my baby brother does that when he gets mad hes done it sense he was a baby hes now 4 and still does it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)