Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Night terrors in a 5 month old?!?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:47 PM
  • 9 Replies
So my son is 5 months old and this week with sleeping during ought time hours have been.. Awful!! He used to sleep 8 hrs then eat a full 8 oz then back to sleep for another two hrs. This week hel go down as usual, then after about an hour or two he wakes screaming! screaming like he's hurt or scared or something. So I've been going in and getting him ( which I know can be bad if he really is having night terrors) when I look at him he's either got his eyes closed and just flaling around and fighting me, or he cracks his eyes calms down then tosses and turns till he doses off, then it starts all over till he finally calms down enough to sleep. Usually a few hours of this. To add he has the tiniest cold ever, slight runny nose no fever no cough and any congestion is gone when humidifier is running. Could this be night terrors? The cold/ear infection, or teething??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
abra
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM

It probably has more to do with not feeling well then night terrors. Two of my kids had night terrors but they didn't start until they were toddlers and it is actually good to go in and hold them during those episodes. You can't wake a child from a night terror, but you can hold them through it. 

EmilyL7
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:52 PM
It's def scaring me!!! I'm taking him to the dr just the clear him of any infection. But it's def sad to see him like that!!

Quoting abra:

It probably has more to do with not feeling well then night terrors. Two of my kids had night terrors but they didn't start until they were toddlers and it is actually good to go in and hold them during those episodes. You can't wake a child from a night terror, but you can hold them through it. 

abra
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Is he running a fever? Chewing on his hands (or anything) a lot? Drooling? Congested? Bad diapers?

Quoting EmilyL7:

It's def scaring me!!! I'm taking him to the dr just the clear him of any infection. But it's def sad to see him like that!!

Quoting abra:

.....Ophelia Grace...............Mira Lorne...............Jude Bennett.........Liam Daniel Baines.

EmilyL7
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:56 PM
Just a runny nose, he's always chewed on his fingers so that's nothing new, a few nights ago his temp was 99.8, gave a small does of Tylenol and he was good. He's got a puddle for a mouth and has for weeks I felt his guns nothing new... :-/

Quoting abra:

Is he running a fever? Chewing on his hands (or anything) a lot? Drooling? Congested? Bad diapers?

Quoting EmilyL7:

Quoting abra:

abra
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:58 PM

It is difficult to know for sure, but it sounds like teething. They can teeth for months before you see any physical evidence of it. I hope he feels betters soon! 

Quoting EmilyL7:

Just a runny nose, he's always chewed on his fingers so that's nothing new, a few nights ago his temp was 99.8, gave a small does of Tylenol and he was good. He's got a puddle for a mouth and has for weeks I felt his guns nothing new... :-/

Quoting abra:

Quoting EmilyL7:

Quoting abra:

.....Ophelia Grace...............Mira Lorne...............Jude Bennett.........Liam Daniel Baines.

EmilyL7
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you! :-) me too!!!

Quoting abra:

It is difficult to know for sure, but it sounds like teething. They can teeth for months before you see any physical evidence of it. I hope he feels betters soon! 

Quoting EmilyL7:

Quoting abra:

Quoting EmilyL7:

Quoting abra:

expectantmom81
by Erin on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:08 PM
I don't believe they have them that young. He is more than likely not feeling well. Is he pulling at his ears?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmilyL7
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:11 PM
Nope! Feeding has been hard in the morning and at night but still sucking away at his fingers. It's prob the cold but during the day he's been all smiles!

Quoting expectantmom81:

I don't believe they have them that young. He is more than likely not feeling well. Is he pulling at his ears?
expectantmom81
by Erin on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:19 PM
Sounds like teething then in my opinion. Gl

Quoting EmilyL7:

Nope! Feeding has been hard in the morning and at night but still sucking away at his fingers. It's prob the cold but during the day he's been all smiles!

Quoting expectantmom81:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)