Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Powder vs ready made?

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:43 PM
  • 8 Replies
My baby is on similac alimentum and we used the ready made formula for the first couple weeks. Then we decided to get the powder to save money. After about a day on the powder he seemed really fussy and seemed to have alot of gas. Now we are considering not using the powder even though it should be the same. Anyone have this happen to them?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
BrittM1988
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I like the premade because it is thicker..

mandybimama
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Nope, DD got ready made in the hospital and then we switched her to powder when we ran out of the bottles the hospital gave us. She never had any issues with the switch though.
jonmom
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:06 PM
My DS was on the ready made Neosure in the hospital and once we came home and started the powder he had a belly ache and gas for 2 days. After that he was fine and he's 6 months now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babygomez
by April on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:08 PM

No. We only used powder, and they always did great with it. We only used ready-made a couple of times (they did fine with that, too).

blazenangel5
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:13 PM
My Kids pediatrician swears there's no difference in the two.
RoseBud93
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Ready made is thicker and unlike powder, you dont mix as much air into it. Powder kind gets air locked in when you add the powder to the water AND when you shake it. Which causes the gas and fussiness usually. My daughter has used both and reacts differently to both but certainly is more gassy with powder. You'll need to burp in the mid of a feeding and after the feeding, or at least thats what my mom told me to do, to releave extra air.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

abra
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:30 PM
same here

Quoting babygomez:

No. We only used powder, and they always did great with it. We only used ready-made a couple of times (they did fine with that, too).

Larsbug
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:33 PM

there really isn't a difference in them (says Ped and I agree)... DS1 and DS2 both have always been on soy because milk-based always made them really gassy and upset tummy. I buy the Target Up and Up generic since there is no difference in what brand you buy really, it's $10 cheaper a can and actually both my kids have always done better on it. We have tried other brands and Up and Up we always go back to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)