Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

HOLY CONSTIPATION! :( *TMI warning *ETA!!*

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:40 PM
  • 28 Replies

My daughter is 1 yr old. She has struggled with constipation issues in the past, but tonight was just absolutely horrific! She cried for a long time and just kept shaking so I held her and walked around with her with her knees pulled up as far to her chest as I could. She cried soo hard! :( I decided to check and see if she was done and maybe it was just bothering her being in her diaper but found the biggest, hardest poop stuck in her butt and her poor anus was just stuck open stretched to the max!!!!! :( I had to take a wipe and pull it out manually!! Then she fell asleep.

When she woke up from her nap she started crying and shaking again so I walked around with her again. I figured it was the same ordeal so I opened her diaper and found the same thing. I tried to grab it out but it was soooo stuck. I had to push on both her butt cheeks for it to pop out and we ended up with 4-5 inches of solid, hard poop. Like an adult!!!! I've been giving her prunes and juice occasionally but I think this is more serious than that. 

Is this normal? Has your baby ever had this big of an issue with constipation? What more can I do other than prunes and such? Please help! She was in so much pain. :(

*ETA: I've contacted her Dr. again, who told me to give her less milk, more juice and more water. Prunes daily. Less rice, oatmeal, and cheerios, etc. Well, her BM issues are still going on. 4 inch long, hard poops- that I have to help her get out each time. My added question now is- would you bring her in for x-rays at this point? See if anything else is going on, something that could potentially be serious? I've considered demanding x-rays, but maybe there is something else I can try that one of you knows works great! Let me know, I'm desperate :(

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jridgill
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:45 PM

My daughter went through this once. I would just hold her, give her warm baths, a little juice, warm milk. Poor thing. Have you changed up anything she is eating? If not I would put a call in to your doctor and see what they think or what advice they have.

Sharell8710
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:59 PM

The only thing I can think of is Cheerios. We started giving her those to get her started on table food. I told dh we should try small pieces of fresh fruit rather than the cereal for awhile. I just don't know for sure.

Quoting jridgill:

My daughter went through this once. I would just hold her, give her warm baths, a little juice, warm milk. Poor thing. Have you changed up anything she is eating? If not I would put a call in to your doctor and see what they think or what advice they have.

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Dec. 21, 2012 at 1:17 AM
Cheerios can constipated. When my dd starts to get runny poops, I give her Cheerios or crackers. Makes her poop more solid within a day or two.

Is she still taking a bottle? If so, what is in it? Breast milk or formula? Does she drink any water during the day? What about her drinking milk?

Basically, what is she eating and drinking each day?
MommyO2-6631
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 7:13 AM
My first went thru this quite a lot as an infant from gis formula he had to be on. We finally just had to start giving a few ounces of juice daily!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amy1763
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Wow, none of my kids ever had this problem. My cousin works at childrens hospital with a lot of little babies and when my dd was a little constipated she said to give baby some pear or white grape juice to give the initial blow out and then karo syrup in 1 bottle every day. We didnt do the karo syrup but the juice definately worked. That might give some relief to start but Im not sure on how to keep it from happening again. We give our baby water and it keeps her going.

prncesspeach
by Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 7:38 AM
My son did a few months ago. It was awful! I went to change/check his diaper & it was just at the opening. Tmi sorry ladies lol. And I had to dig it out manually like you did. I couldn't stand letting him just sit there in pain and didn't wanna prolong it any further so I helped it out. Afterwards he took a long deep nap. Guess the little man was exhausted trying to pass a tennis ball!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 7:53 AM
Poor baby! My dd got constipated when she was about 5 months old when we introduced rice cereal (biggest regret ever, ended up throwing that junk away). But other than that she's never had struggles. She's breastfed and after she turned a year old she started drinking as much water as she wants on top of still nursing, so I think that definitely keeps things running smoothly.
What is she having for liquids?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
B1Bomber
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Pear juice and a little karo syrup mixed into a bottle or some applesauce helped my son. Even now that he eats almost exclusively regular food, I make sure he gets a cup of juice and plenty of water every day.

xomrs.chase
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:55 AM
Every so often ds would get constipated. Prunes helped. Now he is drinking soy milk and never has issues lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jridgill
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 9:50 AM
There is a list of things (foods) you can give to help with constipation on wholesomebabyfood.com. Check that out!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)