Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

THE HITTING IS GETTING OUT OF HAND!

Posted by   + Show Post
My son, Markus will be 15 months on the 26th. For the past couple of months we have been battling the hitting phase with Markus. He will hit when he doesn't get his way and just out of the blue, as well. We have been staying VERY consistent with punishments. We have sat him down in a small timeout. Explained to him that we dont hit. What else can we do to get him to stop? Its getting really frustrating.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Replies (11-17):
KayMMIV
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 5:04 PM

when my boys hit that phase I would hold their hands still until they stopped trying to hit while explaining to them why. each phase ended with a temper tantrum one of the time I held their hands, I didn't let go til they calmed down and for some reason that seemed to be the 'ok i'm not going to hit anymore' trigger. 

sofia0587
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Idk I've tried everything even spoke to her pediatrician and she still keeps doing it so good luck hope you get luckier than me lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abra
by Abra on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:58 PM
It depends on the parents, of course, but we have found a firm flick on the back of their hand or thigh (not anything rough enough to leave a mark, just a sting) to be very effective to communicate the meaning of "no". There is more to it then that, parental attitude and resolution and restoration of joy is essential in any effective form of discipline. The child must never feel the parent is upset or reacting instead of responding and true enough, parents should never do those things anyways.

Quoting hthrlcl:

i get what your saying here, but what kind of negative consquence would be approprite for a one year old? I have two kids but first time mothering a one year old.

Quoting abra:

time outs are pretty ineffective with most toddlers. You have to actually associate a real negative consequence (that isn't so far removed from the offense that they can't figure out why they got in trouble).

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirstina
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this
i tap on the hand works well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Dec. 25, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Is your son hitting himself at all?

Mine was hitting us then we got him to stop doing that, then he started hitting himself. We finally got him to stop doing that for the most part.

I just grab his hand gently and tell him that we don't hit people. When he started hitting himself I would grab his hand again gently and tell him that we don't hit people. I tried to explain that hitting himself is just as bad as hitting others. 
The grabbing the hand didn't work when he was hitting himself so I ended up wrapping my arms around him so he couldn't move his own arms and hugging him tight and telling him that I don't want him hurting himself. After many times doing that, for the most part he no longer hits himself either.

The hugging might work for hitting others as well.

Mine was hitting mostly out of frustration that he couldn't get across to us what he wanted, and frustration that mommy told him no.

So I had to also work on the communication. My son will be 4 at the end of next month and is mostly non verbal. He makes noises like baby talk, and says dadda, but that's it. Oh he sings too, without using words. 

Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Dec. 25, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I know how ya feel op my ds is 16 months and a hair puller. He doesn't hit to often but between my long hair cat and my self we tired of the hair pulling. So far the only thing that seems to work is 5 min in his play pen. He hates being trapped in his play pen unless he is tired or ready for nap. It has been getting . A few of the ladies mention time outs not working on babies as young as ours but we have been doing this since he was 10 months for hitting, biting  and hair pulling. Redirecting does not work with ds. He be back at it 5 min later.

blanckah
by on Dec. 25, 2012 at 7:16 PM
I would gently slap him on the hand then explain to him that its not ok to hit ANYONE and if he does not want others to hit HIM, do not hit others and if he just hits other ppl, someone can seriously hurt him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN