Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

MY BREASTS MY BABY :////

Posted by   + Show Post
I REALLY CAN'T STAND IT WHEN HEALTH " PROFESSIONALS" TELL ME TO WORK ON STOP BREAST FEEDING MY BABY !!!!!!!! GRRRRRRR........

It happened at her 12 month check up , AND today at her first dentist visit !!!!

WTH!?? SINCE WHEN IT IS ANYONE'S BUSINESS HOW I CHOSE TO BF MY BABY ?!!

YEA I'M PISSED ! Next visit which will be her 15 month check up , the doc wants her off the breast , sleep trained ( still wakes up at night for feedings ) , and I forgot the other thing , which is next month because she is now 14 months !

I stood up to the dentist today and told her that its MY personal choice , and I will stop whenever WE Are ready ! PLUS, My hubby promised me if I keep giving her booby he will get me another CC SKYE bag LOL , not really a reason, but something to look forward to . DAMM YOU BABY TRAINERS !!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:03 PM
Replies (41-50):
bbyB10
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Exactly, in my head I was thinking " IS THIS REAL ? AM I REALLY HEARING THIS !???" It's been a loooooooong time , I mean 9 years since I had a last had a baby

Quoting jridgill:

It's hard to believe someone in healthcare could be so ignorant. Especially with how heavy they Re trying to promote breastfeeding in most places now.

Quoting bbyB10:

This is a good one like I quoted before ..... I swear my eyes popped OUT OF MY FACE , In disbelief I COULDN'T BELIEVE WHAT I WAS HEARING !

You know my older ones are 13 and9 I was a teen and went with whatever they told me, I did not know what I know today and besides my age difference this time around TIMES HAVE SURELY CHANGED

Quoting jridgill:

I probably would've laughed and said "are you serious?". I don't think I could've contain myself with so much ignorance. Oh my. Lol

Quoting shortyali:

I just nod and smile. In one ear and out the other. DH told me after the last Ped appt that I looked like a bobble head doll, lol. It was his NP and she tried telling me that bm expires after 6 weeks so there's no need to bf after 6 weeks. Also not to pump to much during the first 6 weeks because then baby can only bf for leas than that. Because you know when baby is born you fill up with exactly 6 weeks worth of milk and ince its gone to bad so sad, right. **SMH**DS2's next appt is with the actual dr so in going to talk to him about that bad info.

jridgill
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Well I guess that depends on who you talk to and if there are any problems. Mostly it's just to get them used to the idea. 1 of my kids started shortly after 1 because she had a problem. My son started at 3 and my youngest will start at 3 unless there is a problem. Of course some dentist recommend them coming as soon as they get teeth. All about the money.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Kids are actually supposed to start seeing a dentist at age 1.

Quoting bbyB10:

It was a " screening" as part of her "health"

Quoting jridgill:

Is there a reason the baby sees a dentist? Our doctor was very supportive. If she wasn't then I would've changed. We don't see a pediatrician. We see a family doctor. My kids don't start going to the dentist until 3 unless there is a problem.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this
No - it is actually what ADA recommends. They do more than just get used to it at that age and recommend it even with no obvious issues.

Obviously not everyone follows the recommendation, but both our pediatrician and our pediatric dentist strongly encourage it.

Quoting jridgill:

Well I guess that depends on who you talk to and if there are any problems. Mostly it's just to get them used to the idea. 1 of my kids started shortly after 1 because she had a problem. My son started at 3 and my youngest will start at 3 unless there is a problem. Of course some dentist recommend them coming as soon as they get teeth. All about the money.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting bbyB10:

Quoting jridgill:

Is there a reason the baby sees a dentist? Our doctor was very supportive. If she wasn't then I would've changed. We don't see a pediatrician. We see a family doctor. My kids don't start going to the dentist until 3 unless there is a problem.

jridgill
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:18 AM
I suppose.

Before I discussed it with our doctor I looked up many articles and the first 5 or so I read stated that while they recommend it that it's usually not necessary. It depends on a few factors. Any signs of problems? History of problems in family members? Do parents teach good brushin habits?
My doctor recommended 3 of there wasn't any issues. Of course our dentist said as soon as they get teeth. I asked why she wanted to see them that early and it was basically just in case. We have dental and our visits are covered but I still chose to wait. It is recommended because try want to get kids used to it and show them how to take care of their teeth. I don't think my kids need that so I chose to take the advice of my doctor and many other articles online. We had an expert on cafemom once and I asked her about it and she also said that she herself recommends 3 unless there are problems.

I guess it's just like any other parenting decision we make when we have kids!

If you look you can find numerous articles that back up what I'm saying as I'm sure you can to back up what you're saying.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

No - it is actually what ADA recommends. They do more than just get used to it at that age and recommend it even with no obvious issues.

Obviously not everyone follows the recommendation, but both our pediatrician and our pediatric dentist strongly encourage it.

Quoting jridgill:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting bbyB10:

Quoting jridgill:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
afwifeandmommy3
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I did what I wanted and told them to kiss mine
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:28 PM
Quoting jridgill:

Yes - I definitely have heard that philosophy as well.

I am a "better to be safe than sorry" neurotic (lol!) so we went with following the formal recommendations.

The kids got fluoride treatments at those visits as well as cleanings, which was good, as our water does not have fluoride in it.

Unfortunately, ds1 had some dental issues we were not aware of, so it was a total blessing we went. He is living proof why the formal recommendation is to start early! Had we not gone, the issues would have been much worse by 3. Ds2 would have been fine if we waited, but that is only info we know now with hindsight, and it only benefited him to have those extra cleanings/treatments. :)
sissy852
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:07 PM
some doctors are very pushy with stuff like that.

Quoting bbyB10:

THANK U !!! THIS IS THE ONE I COULDN'T REMEMBER !!!! SHE "WANTS" HER OFF THE BOTTLE TOO BY HER NEXT WELL VISIT !!!!!! :////////// ON A CUP

Quoting sissy852:

i understand i was told to have my 1 yo on a regular cup right now with out a lid

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:30 PM
I just smile and nod and promptly ignore any of that kind of 'advice'. It is, after all, only their opinion. This goes for any number of parenting decisions that I have made :)
aniters
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:36 PM
my son had surgery as a newborn there. I love those doctors :( lol

Quoting bbyB10:

IDK who that is but thank u and to think , I take my kids to the famous Children's Hospital of Los Angeles in Hollywood SUPPOSED to be the best doctors etcccc

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

The WHO recommends nursing until atleast 2 years old. You're doing a great job mama. :)

bbyB10
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:55 PM
Me too it was going real good with the older ones until we got to the baby

Quoting aniters:

my son had surgery as a newborn there. I love those doctors :( lol

Quoting bbyB10:

IDK who that is but thank u and to think , I take my kids to the famous Children's Hospital of Los Angeles in Hollywood SUPPOSED to be the best doctors etcccc

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

The WHO recommends nursing until atleast 2 years old. You're doing a great job mama. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)