Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Is my little one ready for solids or cereal?

I was planning on waiting until 6 months to introduce her to rice cereal. She is just about to turn 4 months old, and is getting massive and has been wanting to nurse hourly for the past 3 weeks.. She won't even sleep at night, she just wants to nurse.
Well, last night at a restaurant with some family, she was sitting next to me, while I ate my salad. Everytime I'd lift my fork, she'd open her mouth real wide and follow it into my mouth. My mom insisted that it would be fine to let her try a taste of Ranch dressing, so I did. And she loved it. She opened her mouth right up, swallowed it, and smiled real big. She kept opening her mouth for more. Now she watches, fusses, and opens her mouth for food when I eat. :/
I have no problem nursing her on demand, but if she's not getting enough? Idk..her pedi told me last month I could start introducing rice cereal w/ breast milk, but I just felt she wasn't ready. Advice? 

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:36 PM
Replies (11-20):
sugar38
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

well i started feeding my 5mth old fruits and cereal have no promblem am going to start giving solids soon but is your baby u decide i started with my other kids @ 4mths 

Quoting MrsKoolaidPunk:

I figured I probably will get a lot of rude comments, but I just want to know if it's safe or beneficial in any way. First time mom!

Quoting addiesmommy1109:

You're going to get mixed responses here and probably a lot of rude pushy moms. you are the mom you decide what and when you wanna give your kid food :)

mandapanda82
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:52 PM
My dd is 4 months tomorrow I was wondering the same thing- she doesn't really seem to interested but am just wondering when to start. With dd1 I started at. 6months w purées. I'm planning on making my own this time. But ya like another poster said, you will get a ton of mixed responses... Talk to your pedi and you they know best:) GL
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nicki1995
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:59 PM

As long as your child doesnt get gassy or constipated or diarrhea and you think she is ready, then do it. You are the mother, so you will know more than anyone.

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this
If you want the honest truth, there is zero benefit to the baby from starting so early and there are risks. Why take a risk for no benefit?
Now you'll find a hundred moms to tell you they did it and their kid is "fine", but for one don't you want better than just "fine"? And truly they have no way of knowing. It's a rare kid who has an instant reaction. The issues from early solids aren't usually realized until adulthood.
There is a reason the every major medical organization has changed the recommendation from saying 4-6 months, to no solids at all before 6 months.

That's the real truth. That's what the scientific studies prove is best. You will find hundreds to give you anecdotal evidence to support either way, but facts are facts.

There is NEVER a harm in waiting. There might be in not.

Quoting MrsKoolaidPunk:

I figured I probably will get a lot of rude comments, but I just want to know if it's safe or beneficial in any way. First time mom!

Quoting addiesmommy1109:

You're going to get mixed responses here and probably a lot of rude pushy moms. you are the mom you decide what and when you wanna give your kid food :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:12 PM
2 moms liked this
Actually pediatricians know very little about infant nutrition. They get about an hour of education on nutrition in all the YEARS of schooling they receive.

A well educated pediatrician will tell you no solids until 6 months, skip infant cereal, and do table foods not purees but honestly good luck finding one that doesn't want you to shovel liquidfied cardboard down babies throat at 4 months or sooner.

Infant cereal lacks real nutrition, its FORTIFIED with vitamins. This actually prevents iron absorption from breastmilk.

Your baby nurses frequently because breastmilk is so perfect the body can break it down is 90 minutes or less. Babies also go through growth spurts, these can happen ANY time. Babies also nurse for comfort. Your baby need nothing but breastmilk until 12 months(sometimes longer.)

From Kellymom:

Some toddlers are eating very few solids, or even no solids, at 12 months. This is not unusual and really depends on your child – there is quite a big variation. We like to see breastmilk making up the majority (around 75%) of baby’s diet at 12 months. Some babies will be taking more solids by 12 months, but others will still be exclusively or almost-exclusively breastfed at this point. It is normal for baby to keep breastmilk as the primary part of his diet up until 18 months or even longer. An example of a nice gradual increase in solids would be 25% solids at 12 months, 50% solids at 18 months, and 80% solids at 24 months.

Some children take a little longer to begin taking solids well. Some of them have food sensitivities and this may be their body’s way of protecting them until their digestive system can handle more. Others are late teethers or have a lot of difficulty with teething pain. At this point there is NOTHING that your milk lacks that your child needs, with the possible exception of enough iron. As long as his iron levels are within acceptable levels and when he does eat you are offering him foods naturally rich in iron, then you have plenty of time before you need to worry about the amount of solids he’s getting.

Quoting mandapanda82:

My dd is 4 months tomorrow I was wondering the same thing- she doesn't really seem to interested but am just wondering when to start. With dd1 I started at. 6months w purées. I'm planning on making my own this time. But ya like another poster said, you will get a ton of mixed responses... Talk to your pedi and you they know best:) GL

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blapier
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I would personally wait mama until she is 6 mos old:)

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
mandapanda82
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:03 PM
..... Uhhh okkaay

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

Actually pediatricians know very little about infant nutrition. They get about an hour of education on nutrition in all the YEARS of schooling they receive.

A well educated pediatrician will tell you no solids until 6 months, skip infant cereal, and do table foods not purees but honestly good luck finding one that doesn't want you to shovel liquidfied cardboard down babies throat at 4 months or sooner.

Infant cereal lacks real nutrition, its FORTIFIED with vitamins. This actually prevents iron absorption from breastmilk.

Your baby nurses frequently because breastmilk is so perfect the body can break it down is 90 minutes or less. Babies also go through growth spurts, these can happen ANY time. Babies also nurse for comfort. Your baby need nothing but breastmilk until 12 months(sometimes longer.)

From Kellymom:

Some toddlers are eating very few solids, or even no solids, at 12 months. This is not unusual and really depends on your child – there is quite a big variation. We like to see breastmilk making up the majority (around 75%) of baby’s diet at 12 months. Some babies will be taking more solids by 12 months, but others will still be exclusively or almost-exclusively breastfed at this point. It is normal for baby to keep breastmilk as the primary part of his diet up until 18 months or even longer. An example of a nice gradual increase in solids would be 25% solids at 12 months, 50% solids at 18 months, and 80% solids at 24 months.

Some children take a little longer to begin taking solids well. Some of them have food sensitivities and this may be their body’s way of protecting them until their digestive system can handle more. Others are late teethers or have a lot of difficulty with teething pain. At this point there is NOTHING that your milk lacks that your child needs, with the possible exception of enough iron. As long as his iron levels are within acceptable levels and when he does eat you are offering him foods naturally rich in iron, then you have plenty of time before you need to worry about the amount of solids he’s getting.

Quoting mandapanda82:

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:09 PM
Allllll of this!
Plus 4 months is a huge growth spurt, supply regulation, and sleep regression. 4 months olds are complete monsters, it's the age, and it will pass.
Trust me, I started dd on solids earlier than recommended and I regret it so bad.

Quoting larissalarie:

If you want the honest truth, there is zero benefit to the baby from starting so early and there are risks. Why take a risk for no benefit?
Now you'll find a hundred moms to tell you they did it and their kid is "fine", but for one don't you want better than just "fine"? And truly they have no way of knowing. It's a rare kid who has an instant reaction. The issues from early solids aren't usually realized until adulthood.
There is a reason the every major medical organization has changed the recommendation from saying 4-6 months, to no solids at all before 6 months.

That's the real truth. That's what the scientific studies prove is best. You will find hundreds to give you anecdotal evidence to support either way, but facts are facts.

There is NEVER a harm in waiting. There might be in not.

Quoting MrsKoolaidPunk:

Quoting addiesmommy1109:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Kylersmom is 100% correct.  Dr's recieve little or no training in infant feeding, so they do NOT know best when it comes to things like this.  It's our job as parents to do research on our own so that we're well enough informed to know when our pediatricians give us bad information.

Quoting mandapanda82:

..... Uhhh okkaay

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

From Kellymom:

Quoting mandapanda82:

mandapanda82
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:15 PM
Maybe you need a new pedi?

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

From Kellymom:

Quoting mandapanda82:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)