Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is my little one ready for solids or cereal?

I was planning on waiting until 6 months to introduce her to rice cereal. She is just about to turn 4 months old, and is getting massive and has been wanting to nurse hourly for the past 3 weeks.. She won't even sleep at night, she just wants to nurse.
Well, last night at a restaurant with some family, she was sitting next to me, while I ate my salad. Everytime I'd lift my fork, she'd open her mouth real wide and follow it into my mouth. My mom insisted that it would be fine to let her try a taste of Ranch dressing, so I did. And she loved it. She opened her mouth right up, swallowed it, and smiled real big. She kept opening her mouth for more. Now she watches, fusses, and opens her mouth for food when I eat. :/
I have no problem nursing her on demand, but if she's not getting enough? Idk..her pedi told me last month I could start introducing rice cereal w/ breast milk, but I just felt she wasn't ready. Advice? 

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:36 PM
Replies (131-137):
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Trolls aren't those who defend their position and give science based information. Trolls intentionally "stir the pot" which isn't what anyone is doing!

It's important to provide good fact based, science based, extensively studied information not just personal experience.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

obvioiusly i didnt say that...Sounds like its the other way around. and it keeps going. see what im saying here? It never stops. I stated my opinion and defended someone that was being put down because of these overbearing trolls with there opinion that think they are right and i and other moms are wrong. We all think differently. Its very immature to act like that. Like i said. they need to leave there comment and go on and quit harrassing 

Quoting MrsKoolaidPunk:

I was planning on waiting until 6 months to introduce her to rice cereal. She is just about to turn 4 months old, and is getting massive and has been wanting to nurse hourly for the past 3 weeks.. She won't even sleep at night, she just wants to nurse.
Well, last night at a restaurant with some family, she was sitting next to me, while I ate my salad. Everytime I'd lift my fork, she'd open her mouth real wide and follow it into my mouth. My mom insisted that it would be fine to let her try a taste of Ranch dressing, so I did. And she loved it. She opened her mouth right up, swallowed it, and smiled real big. She kept opening her mouth for more. Now she watches, fusses, and opens her mouth for food when I eat. :/
I have no problem nursing her on demand, but if she's not getting enough? Idk..her pedi told me last month I could start introducing rice cereal w/ breast milk, but I just felt she wasn't ready. Advice? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twicethemomjess
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:13 PM
my ds started solids at 4 months. he's 7months now and eating regular food as long as its soft enough. he is totally healthy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Bolin
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:17 PM

which perfectly describes what they were doing cause alot of the info was false. 

Quoting MrsKoolaidPunk:

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
SerenityBerry
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Guess what, I can read too, I also work in the medical feild, just because you can read websites does not qualify you to give any sort of medical advice, that is far more dangerous than the educated advice from a medical doctor who has 20 plus years of experience. I was not looking for advice, I was simply replying to the OP with the advice that our doctor gave us in regards to my own children, who like the OP child was watching with great intent as we would eat, additionally the vast majority of children cannot hold themselves upright  in a sitting postion unassisted much before 6 months, which would corrospond with the feeding guidelines that you are linking. Additionally each individual child develops at a slightly different pace than the next just because you hit 6 months does not mean you are magically ready, some children will be before some will be later. They are called guidelines for a reason, you use them as a guide, not absolute law.  

Quoting Kris_PBG:

LOL - not a problem on references.

I do not have a medical degree, but I can read and comprehend professional medical group recommendations just fine...

Here you go:

Health experts and breastfeeding experts agree that it’s best to wait until your baby is around six months old before offering solid foods. There has been a large amount of research on this in the recent past, and most health organizations have updated their recommendations to agree with current research. Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they’re telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date.

The following organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (not the first 4-6 months):

Most babies will become developmentally and physiologically ready to eat solids by 6-9 months of age. For some babies, delaying solids longer than six months can be a good thing; for example, some doctors may recommend delaying solids for 12 months if there is a family history of allergies.

Quoting SerenityBerry:

No offense, but until you can show me a medical degree and give me references, I will continue to listen to our chosen pediatrican, thank you. 

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Your pediatrician is offering very poor, dangerous and very outdated information. 

Quoting SerenityBerry:

Our peditrician said that once baby is old enough to sit up on her own the gag reflex is developed enough for them to try soilds. 

Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Quoting SerenityBerry:

Thankfully I have a pediatrician who actually stays up to date on issues and gives recommendations that are in line with these recommendations.

MommyOfOnee
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:17 AM
My DD was about 4-5 months old and I started letting her have tastes of baby food/my food/baby cereal. Please no basing on this, I am her mother and I will do what I feel is best. My advice to you; don't stress about it. If you want to give her a few tastes here and there, she will be fine! I'm a fist time mom also and if it wasn't for my amazing pediatrician who from the start told me that she was my child and I knew best and that she would give me recommendations but never push me on anything. I just relaxed and told myself to have a little mom-fidence! If you think she wants to try food, then let her try some! You know best, and I'm sure you will get a lot of tips on both sides,but at he end of the day you have the choice and it will be the right one! Good luck momma!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:11 PM
False? Since when is extensively studied scientific information false?!

Ignorance at it's best. You continue to live in La La Land where if it doesn't happen to you or your family it's not possible, I'll stick to reality.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

which perfectly describes what they were doing cause alot of the info was false. 

Quoting MrsKoolaidPunk:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)