Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Is my little one ready for solids or cereal?

I was planning on waiting until 6 months to introduce her to rice cereal. She is just about to turn 4 months old, and is getting massive and has been wanting to nurse hourly for the past 3 weeks.. She won't even sleep at night, she just wants to nurse.
Well, last night at a restaurant with some family, she was sitting next to me, while I ate my salad. Everytime I'd lift my fork, she'd open her mouth real wide and follow it into my mouth. My mom insisted that it would be fine to let her try a taste of Ranch dressing, so I did. And she loved it. She opened her mouth right up, swallowed it, and smiled real big. She kept opening her mouth for more. Now she watches, fusses, and opens her mouth for food when I eat. :/
I have no problem nursing her on demand, but if she's not getting enough? Idk..her pedi told me last month I could start introducing rice cereal w/ breast milk, but I just felt she wasn't ready. Advice? 

by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:36 PM
Replies (41-50):
lillucky8
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Id say its up to you. If you think she is ready, give it a try. But nothing says cereal has to be first. A great reference for foodmaking i use is wholesomebabyfood.com.

my son is five mos old, he is tanking bottles and pedi said if he hit five 8oz bottles a day to start food bc its too much. Granted i dont understand why i need to replace formula with food this young, but he is sitting, and puts the spoon in his mouth and is enjoying trying food once or twice a day as a lil snack/taste, not meals.

My dd was the opposite. I didnt start foods until seven months because i was told to. She loved her food once she had it but she didnt need it and i think would have been fine if i had waited.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cali_angel_girl
by Amy on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this

In the long run it's your choice but with my kids I waited until 6 months and totally skipped the rice cereal. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
jenesis915
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Baby cereal is not supposed to have nutritional value it's supposed to get baby use to the rhythm on food in mouth and swallowing stuff yes she's does seem ready no harm in getting baby cereal but always mommas choice!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cynthje
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:52 PM

We never did the rice cereal, it has no nutritional value and no taste at all. Honestly i think it depends on the child and while i agree that 4 months is very young to start on solids some may be ready. I would wait until the child is 6 months or so to be sure and skip the whole cerial!

MrsKoolaidPunk
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Thank you for the website! I will check it out!

Quoting lillucky8:

Id say its up to you. If you think she is ready, give it a try. But nothing says cereal has to be first. A great reference for foodmaking i use is wholesomebabyfood.com.

my son is five mos old, he is tanking bottles and pedi said if he hit five 8oz bottles a day to start food bc its too much. Granted i dont understand why i need to replace formula with food this young, but he is sitting, and puts the spoon in his mouth and is enjoying trying food once or twice a day as a lil snack/taste, not meals.

My dd was the opposite. I didnt start foods until seven months because i was told to. She loved her food once she had it but she didnt need it and i think would have been fine if i had waited.

MrsKoolaidPunk
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!

Quoting cabrandy03:

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/solids-when/

Check out this link

MrsKoolaidPunk
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this

She has an appt in two weeks. So many questions to ask! I'll be making my own, as well. I'll probably just continue to give her little tastes here and there, and start actually feeding pureed food to her around 6-8 months. :)

Quoting mandapanda82:

My dd is 4 months tomorrow I was wondering the same thing- she doesn't really seem to interested but am just wondering when to start. With dd1 I started at. 6months w purées. I'm planning on making my own this time. But ya like another poster said, you will get a ton of mixed responses... Talk to your pedi and you they know best:) GL

MrsKoolaidPunk
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm definitely going to do much more research. And talk to her pedi.. I plan on waiting. Thank you!!!

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Allllll of this!
Plus 4 months is a huge growth spurt, supply regulation, and sleep regression. 4 months olds are complete monsters, it's the age, and it will pass.
Trust me, I started dd on solids earlier than recommended and I regret it so bad.

Quoting larissalarie:

If you want the honest truth, there is zero benefit to the baby from starting so early and there are risks. Why take a risk for no benefit?
Now you'll find a hundred moms to tell you they did it and their kid is "fine", but for one don't you want better than just "fine"? And truly they have no way of knowing. It's a rare kid who has an instant reaction. The issues from early solids aren't usually realized until adulthood.
There is a reason the every major medical organization has changed the recommendation from saying 4-6 months, to no solids at all before 6 months.

That's the real truth. That's what the scientific studies prove is best. You will find hundreds to give you anecdotal evidence to support either way, but facts are facts.

There is NEVER a harm in waiting. There might be in not.

Quoting MrsKoolaidPunk:

I figured I probably will get a lot of rude comments, but I just want to know if it's safe or beneficial in any way. First time mom!

Quoting addiesmommy1109:

You're going to get mixed responses here and probably a lot of rude pushy moms. you are the mom you decide what and when you wanna give your kid food :)

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:30 AM
1 mom liked this

We skip cereal and do solides at 6 months

Bethbeth
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN