Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you feed your one year old?

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:58 PM
  • 18 Replies

and how often? Portion sizes? How was the transition to cow's milk? My ds is turning one soon and I'm trying to figure out what are some meals he can eat that have more texture and involve more chewing. He eats mostly pureed foods and formula now.

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blapier
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Anything we eat she gets, just smaller portions and cut up into bite size pieces no purees, she gets breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack then dinner...Cows milk was a little difficult, she didn't really care for it. So instead we gave her almond milk which she liked a lot more, we're now doing half cows milk and half almond milk. Hope this helps!:)

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
candacemomof2
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 6:47 PM
Same for us as the post above. Whatever we eat, he eats, just cut into manageable bites for him. But examples are:

Breakfast: banana, Cheerios, peaches, cinnamon toast, egg, yogurt, waffle w/ just a touch of laughing cow cinnamon cream cheese

Lunch: cheese, avocado, apples/applesauce, pears, grilled cheese, cheese quesadilla, strawberries, blueberries, melon, pasta (plain pasta or mac'n'cheese)

Dinner: chicken, peas, carrots, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, broccoli, beef (like tiny peices of roast) beans, rice, bread, fish, spaghetti, etc.

Snacks: those squeeze packs of applesauce or fruit/veggie purees, yogurt, gerber puffs, marshmallows, gerber cheese puff thingys, or any sort of fruit/veggie.

He doesn't really snack unless we're out somewhere and trying to keep him happy, tho. When he wakes up at 6 he gets a bottle of milk (working on transitioning to a sippy, but he's not always willing yet and I'm in no hurry), between 7-8 he has food breakfast. He goes down for his first nap between 9-10 and up between 11-12. He gets lunch when he wakes up from his nap. Another bottle around 2, down for his second nap at 2:30. Up between 4-5, dinner at 5:30-6, followed by a bath, then a bottle (he doesn't always take all of that bottle. Between 4-8 oz) and down for bed at 7. He is a pretty big eater now. A lot of times he eats more than my 4 yr old. But, considering that he was born early (6lbs) and dropped to 5lbs and had a lot of trouble eating and gaining weight (to the point that his pedi debated about sending him to a heart dr b/c he was borderline failure to thrive)- we're just happy that he's eating so well and finally catching up!

His favorite food is chicken or veggie pot pie. I'll make a whole casserole dish of it just for him and then freeze individual size servings. Then if we have something spicy, or something I wouldn't feed him, then I just defrost and heat one up and he loves it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
abra
by Abra on Dec. 31, 2012 at 6:48 PM
I feed on demand. I keep foods pretty basic. All the same things as you would in the 8-12 month rage (fruits, veggies, whole grains, occationally some meat that has been ground up). I very carefully and slowly introduce common allergin foods (like milk, corn, peanut butter) in small doses and only one at a time. So pick one weed, and give him 1/4 cup of milk one day. Keep an eye on how he handles it that day. If all goes smoothly, the next day, dry a 1/2 cup. Etc. :)
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:12 AM
My dd eats pork chops, chicken, ground beef, soft fruit chunks, whole veggies (like peas, carrot circles cut in half, corn, green beans), pbj sandwiches with pb spread thin, cooked beans, tomatoes (her favorite!), Mac and cheese, rice, etc. Most she has been eating since about 9-10 months old. Whatever we eat, she eats.

She doesn't like cows milk, though. She is still nursing so she gets the good stuff from that. She drinks water all day long though.
aniters
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:47 AM
he's still nursing so breastmilk and anything I eat. meat, chicken, rice, beans, soup, oatmeal, pancakes, peanut butter sandwiches, veggies, fruit...
mandapanda82
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:56 AM
Well My older dd is 4 now and younger is 4 mod but I used to give my older dd same stuff as us/ but the one thing I wish we never started was juice-- juice is awful , it's just sugar water. My pedi told us no juice ever. Just milk and water, whether it be dairy, almond, soy, or rice milk.
amy1763
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:13 AM

My little one is 16 months. Her transition to milk was great. Shje really loves it and all 3 of my girls did so no problem there. Feeding has been a battle though. She loves purees. She hated anything with texture so it was hard. We have her eating well now though and it changed when we took the bottle away.

BrittM1988
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:15 AM

I feed him 3 meals a day plus 3 snacks a day, he eats what my 2 year old eats. I am still nursing too, and will probably will not switch to cows milk yet

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Everything we ate (unless we were eating something unhealthy, then I would make a separate meal) just smaller portions. No purees (we stopped purees around 7ish months), just small chunks of fruits, veggies, meats, macaroni, etc. We don't give her cows milk, she's 21 months and still nurses plenty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KMadsen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Pretty much anything I eat she eats. We did baby led solids so she's used to "normal" food. She doesn't get cow's milk so no help there, lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)