Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CIO Question --Edited a 2nd time

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:52 AM
  • 58 Replies
1 mom liked this

I don't usually let my children CIO, but my 5 week old screams unless I'm holding him.  I try to hold him as much as I can, but it's not possible to hold him 24/7.  Please tell me it's not going to hurt him to lie there & cry for 20 minutes?  It's breaking my heart (not to mention driving everyone else crazy!)

**Edit**

To be clear, I am NOT letting him CIO on purpose.  I'm talking about times during the day when I can't hold him & a carrier isn't appropriate, for example:  cooking, bathing the other kids, taking a shower, using the bathroom, etc...90% of the time, I am holding him

2nd edit:

i have white noise playing on my cell phone in the corner of the play pen & he's wrapped up in my pajama shirt.  he's quiet!  thank you for the suggestions!!!

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Salem2012
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM
2 moms liked this

At 5 weeks... he is crying because he needs something...CIO is not intended for a baby that young. At that age you cannot let him CIO that's just cruel.

Hi_Rae
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep. I would suggest maybe trying a wrap or carrier of some sort so baby can be close and you can have your hands/arms to do other things

Quoting Salem2012:

At 5 weeks... he is crying because he needs something...CIO is not intended for a baby that young. At that age you cannot let him CIO that's just cruel.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:20 AM
If you CIO right now it may break his trust that you will take care of his needs. Moby's work wonders! And don't try CIO until at least 6 months if at all
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:26 AM
No newborn should be left to CIO. When a baby is CIO, their oxygen levels drop, their blood pressure rises, they release a stress hormone called cortisol which has been proven to kill brain cells, they can become so exhausted that they call fall into too deep of sleep which is a HUGE risk for SIDS, and they lose trust in you.
Get yourself a wrap/sling and wear your baby. Obviously if you need to go to the bathroom or grab a drink, baby will be ok for a minute. But no, you shouldn't let your newborn scream for 20 minutes.
Hang in there mama, it doesn't last forever. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fgraley
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:34 AM
It most certainly will harm him. Medical evidence shows it causes blood oxygen levels drop. Not enough oxygen to the brain causes abnormal brain development apnea episodes and seizures. All of which can lead to.sids. not to mention the anxiety caused by being completely dependant on someone else crying to let someone know that something is wrong and being ignored. He could scared lonely anxious hurting or any number of things.

Start baby wearing to have ur hands free. And look up the fb page dangers of baby training and read about the people who remember being left to cio and what damage it's done to them.
jenzachsam
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I CIO, but not that young...  If you need to take a breather please do...  However try swaddling your baby.  Sometimes newborns can be extra gassy, so I would keep trying to burp baby.  Newborns have to feel comfortable in their surroundings and need the extra security from you.  

mrswhite417
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:09 PM
What all of those above have said.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
almondpigeon
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I added an edit to my original post...I agree CIO is cruel, but as I stated, I'm not doing it on purpose....but I can't hold him all the time. For the most part, I hold him or have him in a sling.  There are times when I CAN'T hold him.  Cooking, for example.

Quoting Salem2012:

almondpigeon
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Apparently, my post wasn't very clear.  I am not intending to CIO, I don't believe in that as a practice.  He only cries if I'm NOT holding him.  Which, tbh, isn't a big deal most of the time.  We snuggle in the recliner most of the day.  But there are times when I can't hold him & that's when he starts screaming.

Quoting jenzachsam:

I CIO, but not that young...  If you need to take a breather please do...  However try swaddling your baby.  Sometimes newborns can be extra gassy, so I would keep trying to burp baby.  Newborns have to feel comfortable in their surroundings and need the extra security from you.  

almondpigeon
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Please see my edit...I'm not intending to let him CIO.  I don't believe in that at all.  My only problem is that I can't hold him all day.  When I cook or am tending to the other kids, I have to put him down.  And I have a husband & teenager who are more than willing to help, but the baby screams even when they hold him.  It has to be me.  And he is only left to cry for a few minutes when I'm busy doing something that HAS to be done.

Quoting fgraley:

It most certainly will harm him. Medical evidence shows it causes blood oxygen levels drop. Not enough oxygen to the brain causes abnormal brain development apnea episodes and seizures. All of which can lead to.sids. not to mention the anxiety caused by being completely dependant on someone else crying to let someone know that something is wrong and being ignored. He could scared lonely anxious hurting or any number of things.

Start baby wearing to have ur hands free. And look up the fb page dangers of baby training and read about the people who remember being left to cio and what damage it's done to them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)