Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

lactose intolerance?

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:21 PM
  • 52 Replies
Just wondering if any of you ladies have a lo who is sensitive to milk/bm?We have a strong familyhistory on both mine and dh's side of lactose intoleranceboth as babies and adults. As well as ss being diagnosed with a milk allergy at two months old.

After spending 3 hours in the er Sunday night for a hard belly and inconsolable crying for 24 hours our little guy was diagnosed with reflux and given Zantac. It seemed to help a little almost instantly (and I realize it can take up to a week for full effect) but his belly was still hard andbhe was farting like a grown man all day every day. We made a clench decision last night around 9 p.m. to go ahead with enfamil prosobee (sensitive tummies soy) and there has been a definite improvement in our baby. Less gassy/less screaming (so far)and less spitting up. I am trying not to count my chickens before they hatch but I am really hoping this works for him.

I guess I am just looking for some support as all of the reading I have done says it is basically impossible for babies to be lactose intolerant bit I have seen thechange in my son and, like I said, have a strong family history on both sides to prove otherwise. Thanks in advance ladies. :)

*please no bashing as I know bm is best and eliminating dairy can helpand I am doing that and still pumping to try bm later down the line when his belly is more mature. But I couldn't let my little guy suffer like that.*
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MorganTho
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:24 PM
If he has a milk allergy it's probably to milk proteins not lactose. I would keep pumping and COMPLETELY cut out dairy. It takes a week usually to get out of your system then put him back to the breast. Bm will be easier on Hus gut than formula ( even soy) but that's up to you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abra
by Abra on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this
My husband and dd are sensitive to it, but no really strong reactions. Bump! Best of luck!
ZakkarysMom
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this
If its helping him i would stick with it. No judgement here. You did the right thing. Good job mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
november117
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:55 PM
I am planning on doing this but in the mean time I couldn't watch him suffer.

Quoting MorganTho:

If he has a milk allergy it's probably to milk proteins not lactose. I would keep pumping and COMPLETELY cut out dairy. It takes a week usually to get out of your system then put him back to the breast. Bm will be easier on Hus gut than formula ( even soy) but that's up to you.

november117
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Thanks. Like I said dh has been through this before with ss so it is nice to have his support and guidance. My first ds had reflux (projectile style) but no sensitivity to milk.

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

If its helping him i would stick with it. No judgement here. You did the right thing. Good job mama!

Duquesne
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:00 PM
2 moms liked this
I've cut dairy from my diet. And dealt with her discomfort with babywearing, belly massage, etc. soy wouldn't be my first choice, especially with boys, if I ever thought to go with formula----I'd rather deal with gassiness for a week than the struggles with switching baby to formula, risking losing my supply, etc.

Good luck with it. It's tough. Hope you find a long term solution.
november117
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:19 PM
I am still pumping and will continue to do so.

Formula isn't for everybody and it wasn't an easy decision for us either. In some ways I feel like I failed my baby.

This wasn't just regular fussiness and gas. This was full on screaming for 24 hours prior to er visit and another 20 after. We did belly massage, bicycle legs, gas drops, gripe water, swaddling amd everything we could. Dh has been awesome and so patient and wonderful in helping me out when he can. However, he has to go back to work after two weeks off and I have a four year old ds that I also have to take care of and I can't do that well while having a screaming baby.

I do hope to try bm again soon. I know it is best and I want him to have my antibodies.

Quoting Duquesne:

I've cut dairy from my diet. And dealt with her discomfort with babywearing, belly massage, etc. soy wouldn't be my first choice, especially with boys, if I ever thought to go with formula----I'd rather deal with gassiness for a week than the struggles with switching baby to formula, risking losing my supply, etc.

november117
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM
As a baby I was hospitalized for diarrhea and projectile vomiting due to milk intolerance. My Mom said they didn't have specialized formulas like they do now. Dh's brother had to have goats milk as a baby. :(

It wasn't an easy decision amd I do feel like I failed my baby in some ways.

Quoting abra:

My husband and dd are sensitive to it, but no really strong reactions. Bump! Best of luck!

Duquesne
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:24 PM
I dealt with the same. Dairy sensitivity is tough on the tummy.

And you don't fail your child until you stop feeding it anything, stop caring for it. :)

Quoting november117:

I am still pumping and will continue to do so.

Formula isn't for everybody and it wasn't an easy decision for us either. In some ways I feel like I failed my baby.

This wasn't just regular fussiness and gas. This was full on screaming for 24 hours prior to er visit and another 20 after. We did belly massage, bicycle legs, gas drops, gripe water, swaddling amd everything we could. Dh has been awesome and so patient and wonderful in helping me out when he can. However, he has to go back to work after two weeks off and I have a four year old ds that I also have to take care of and I can't do that well while having a screaming baby.

I do hope to try bm again soon. I know it is best and I want him to have my antibodies.

Quoting Duquesne:

abra
by Abra on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:41 PM
((hugs)) you haven't failed at all.

Quoting november117:

As a baby I was hospitalized for diarrhea and projectile vomiting due to milk intolerance. My Mom said they didn't have specialized formulas like they do now. Dh's brother had to have goats milk as a baby. :(

It wasn't an easy decision amd I do feel like I failed my baby in some ways.

Quoting abra:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)