Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Big Debate

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:17 PM
  • 51 Replies
So wats the big debate about cio?! Wats ur opinion abt it?! Plz dnt be offense n rude everyone is in title to der own opinion
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KMadsen
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:27 PM
4 moms liked this

It's harmful to the child & goes against every motherly instinct I have. I find cio to be extremely cruel.

mrswhite417
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:34 PM
This.

Quoting KMadsen:

It's harmful to the child & goes against every motherly instinct I have. I find cio to be extremely cruel.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:42 PM
That's about it in a nutshell!

Quoting KMadsen:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandapanda82
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Well every one situation is unique- and I really don't think anyone can say anything about a mom doing a bad thing unless she's been there. until you e experienced total sleep deprivation and PPD from your child not sleeping and screaming 24/7 , then you dont understand. And there are non extreme ways of doing it- you don't have to just leave the baby to fend for herself. There is compassionate CIO. Please is anyone has anything rude to say as soon as i reakize its a rude comment I'm just not gonna read it- so knock yourself out:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aimesnyc
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

If properly done, it is not cruel (in my opinion).

Yes, just leaving your baby to cry for hours on end without any comfort is cruel.  However, if after a loving and consistent bedtime routine you lay them down and they cry, and at increasing increments of time you go in and comfort them until they fall asleep in their own, then I don't see that as cruel.  If they have been up for an hour in the middle of the night, throwing a tantrum (after the age of 1), and you lay them down after they have been calm for a good 30 minutes and they start to cry once you lay them back down, then no, it is not cruel to let them cry until they fall asleep (because most likely they will only cry for about 5 minutes or so, and they are only doing it because they are overtired).  If you hear your child get up in the middle of the night with a sleepy, faint cry, then no, it's not cruel to wait a few minutes to see if they will just go back to sleep instead of leaping to their side and thus waking them up even more.

Oh, and: http://healthland.time.com/2012/09/10/its-o-k-to-let-babies-cry-it-out-at-bedtime/

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:51 PM
4 moms liked this
I have to lol @ "compassionate CIO"... what an oxymoron...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alandou
by April on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

all I can say is...be ready  can of worms

ChutterButter
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:56 PM
4 moms liked this

I would agree that every situation is different. It also depends on how it is done. I don't think a child should be left screaming, alone for an hour but I also don't see 5-10 mins being detrimental to a child's overall well being. When I lay my son down, he just turned 1, if he starts to cry I leave him in his crib for 5 mins and if he is still crying I go pick him up and calm him down. To each their own. But anyhow that's my opinion

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this
For those who swear by the "Ferber method", I hope you're aware that his own kids want nothing to him, disowned him a long time ago.... definitely not someone I'd be taking any sort of parenting advice from.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aimesnyc
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:18 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm sure that there were other ways he was not a good father other than that.  There are many professionals and doctors that specialize in children but at home are terrible parents.  Also, I imagine that he probably didn't do much of the parenting, since at the time he had his children, it was definitely the role of the mother to take primary care of the children.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

For those who swear by the "Ferber method", I hope you're aware that his own kids want nothing to him, disowned him a long time ago.... definitely not someone I'd be taking any sort of parenting advice from.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)