Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Is it common...????

Posted by   + Show Post
For a baby that could possibly have reflux issues to want to feed alot? I've heard because the formula going in their belly soothes the reflux discomfort- I'm just trying to figure out if dd has it- taking her to pedi next week- thanks in advance :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Replies (21-30):
MommyO2-6631
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Is she gsining weight. If she is then she'd be consideted a "happy spitter" like my first. He spit up tons after literally every bottle. He was aleays unsettled and crying. I also saw what baby_avas_mama said. If she does have a milk protein allergy she also may have a soy allergy. 30% of baby's that have an allergy to dairy also has an allergy to soy. Have you tried nutramigen (sp) or a hypoallergenic formula?

Quoting mandapanda82:

Yes I've done that- idk she just seems unsettled all tge time. Like she gets up eats them like 10 min later she start fussin and squirming...

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Try letting her suck on your finger. Suckling soothes tummy aches. Not so much the eating

mandapanda82
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:00 PM
No I haven't tried those- do you just buy them at a store- or prescribed? And I should prob talk to pedi about it first before changing formula right? Oh ya and she's def gaining weight- she can fit in 6-9 month already!

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Is she gsining weight. If she is then she'd be consideted a "happy spitter" like my first. He spit up tons after literally every bottle. He was aleays unsettled and crying. I also saw what baby_avas_mama said. If she does have a milk protein allergy she also may have a soy allergy. 30% of baby's that have an allergy to dairy also has an allergy to soy. Have you tried nutramigen (sp) or a hypoallergenic formula?

Quoting mandapanda82:

Yes I've done that- idk she just seems unsettled all tge time. Like she gets up eats them like 10 min later she start fussin and squirming...

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Try letting her suck on your finger. Suckling soothes tummy aches. Not so much the eating

angela.bouchard
by Angela on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Quoting LoveMyCuties612:

Idk :/ bump!

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:19 PM
If by chance she has a milk protein issue, she'd most likely have soy issues too. Very few people can tolerate soy if they can't tolerate milk protein because even soy contains small traces of dairy. Has she always been on soy?

Quoting mandapanda82:

Ya not really into paci and shes on soy formula

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

If baby has a sensitivity to that certain formula or an allergy to milk proteins it can cause reflux issues. Formula is very hard to digest and is harsh on baby's belly, so it's pretty normal for baby to get belly aches or gas or spit up issues- all of those would make baby want to suckle to feel better. Have you tried a pacifier?

Quoting mandapanda82:

What causes it? Formula?

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

It's more so the sucking that they want to do. Babies have a natural urge to suck, especially when they don't feel well. I know breastmilk is a natural antacid, but I've never heard of formula soothing reflux, usually it's what causes the reflux.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandapanda82
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Well in nicu I was pumping and she was just getting my milk- then they thought she was having issues from my milk and I was worried about my medication so I stopped. So since 3 weeks she's been on soy

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

If by chance she has a milk protein issue, she'd most likely have soy issues too. Very few people can tolerate soy if they can't tolerate milk protein because even soy contains small traces of dairy. Has she always been on soy?

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

If baby has a sensitivity to that certain formula or an allergy to milk proteins it can cause reflux issues. Formula is very hard to digest and is harsh on baby's belly, so it's pretty normal for baby to get belly aches or gas or spit up issues- all of those would make baby want to suckle to feel better. Have you tried a pacifier?

Quoting mandapanda82:

What causes it? Formula?

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

It's more so the sucking that they want to do. Babies have a natural urge to suck, especially when they don't feel well. I know breastmilk is a natural antacid, but I've never heard of formula soothing reflux, usually it's what causes the reflux.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Hmmm. Definitely see if the doc will test her for an allergy and if not, maybe discuss trying different formulas if she seems to not be doing well on the soy. :)

Quoting mandapanda82:

Well in nicu I was pumping and she was just getting my milk- then they thought she was having issues from my milk and I was worried about my medication so I stopped. So since 3 weeks she's been on soy

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Quoting mandapanda82:

What causes it? Formula?

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandapanda82
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Thanks for the help:)

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Hmmm. Definitely see if the doc will test her for an allergy and if not, maybe discuss trying different formulas if she seems to not be doing well on the soy. :)

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Quoting mandapanda82:

What causes it? Formula?

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

TerriB0311
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM
My DS had a severe milk protein allergy and spit up a lot! Soy actually made it worse. You may want to consider Similac Alimentum. Once I switched to that, he was a new baby. Good luck! I know how hard it is to watch a LO in pain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandapanda82
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Do I need to wait to ask the pedi about that or can I just start it?

Quoting TerriB0311:

My DS had a severe milk protein allergy and spit up a lot! Soy actually made it worse. You may want to consider Similac Alimentum. Once I switched to that, he was a new baby. Good luck! I know how hard it is to watch a LO in pain.

TerriB0311
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I didn't wait to ask my pedi. I knew I had to do something. A close friend of mine had her twin girls on Alimentum and swore by it, so I just gave it a go. Made all the difference. It is expensive, but many insurance companies will reimburse a portion of thw cost.

Quoting mandapanda82:

Do I need to wait to ask the pedi about that or can I just start it?

Quoting TerriB0311:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)