Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Is it common...????

Posted by   + Show Post
For a baby that could possibly have reflux issues to want to feed alot? I've heard because the formula going in their belly soothes the reflux discomfort- I'm just trying to figure out if dd has it- taking her to pedi next week- thanks in advance :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Replies (31-40):
kirstina
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Idk
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Bump! I'm not sure

TigressLily
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:41 AM

Babies that have colic {which, from my research, they can be prone to reflux/vomitting as well} also want to eat a lot. My DD had reflux for the first 4-5 months of her life. She was BF for the majority of the first 3 months then she started refusing and then by the time she was 4 months she was only taking formula, sadly. However, her pedi decided, after literally just looking at her, that she had reflux and prescribed a 4 month old baby zantac. I gave her 2 doses and it didn't help, I know from experience that if zantac is going to work to fix the problem, it happens within an hour after taking the first dose, whereas prilosec takes up to a week, sometimes longer, to truly start working, but has longer lasting effects etc.... anyway, it didn't work so I stopped giving it to her. It seemed like she was vomitting more with it than without it. Then I switched her from milk based formula to soy formula and poof! Bye bye reflux. Her pedi had also told me that her formula was fine and wasn't causing the problem. Yeah, okay. She had a few spit up episodes a few times after that, but no real vomitting it back up. She's now 16 months old and hasn't even spit up since about 8 months of age.

PS. The reason, I believe, that babies who have reflux or colic and thus, vomit a lot more than they should, seem to be hungry all the time is because they are actually hungry. If you puke up your food, your stomach is going to be empty for the most part.. right? Same with a baby, and when our stomach is empty, we are hungry, so naturally, babies may fuss until the bottle is in their mouth and they are eating again to fill up their stomach even if they puke it up afterwards again.

GL and hope this experience helps with your DD! =D Update asap please.

USD2012
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:55 AM

yes ive heard that too... formula soothers the reflux...

babies spit up a little when they overfill themselves.. mine did it too... should be alright I guess

Quoting mandapanda82:

For a baby that could possibly have reflux issues to want to feed alot? I've heard because the formula going in their belly soothes the reflux discomfort- I'm just trying to figure out if dd has it- taking her to pedi next week- thanks in advance :)

mandapanda82
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Thanks for the reply-- my dd is on soy she's been on sice 3 weeks old. One poster told me about that special formula they have nutramigen or hypoallergenic or the similac alimentum- I might try that. But ya that makes sense that if they puke alot they'd still be hungry. Thanks again my appt is jan 7 ill let everyone know what pedi says:)

Quoting TigressLily:

Babies that have colic {which, from my research, they can be prone to reflux/vomitting as well} also want to eat a lot. My DD had reflux for the first 4-5 months of her life. She was BF for the majority of the first 3 months then she started refusing and then by the time she was 4 months she was only taking formula, sadly. However, her pedi decided, after literally just looking at her, that she had reflux and prescribed a 4 month old baby zantac. I gave her 2 doses and it didn't help, I know from experience that if zantac is going to work to fix the problem, it happens within an hour after taking the first dose, whereas prilosec takes up to a week, sometimes longer, to truly start working, but has longer lasting effects etc.... anyway, it didn't work so I stopped giving it to her. It seemed like she was vomitting more with it than without it. Then I switched her from milk based formula to soy formula and poof! Bye bye reflux. Her pedi had also told me that her formula was fine and wasn't causing the problem. Yeah, okay. She had a few spit up episodes a few times after that, but no real vomitting it back up. She's now 16 months old and hasn't even spit up since about 8 months of age.

PS. The reason, I believe, that babies who have reflux or colic and thus, vomit a lot more than they should, seem to be hungry all the time is because they are actually hungry. If you puke up your food, your stomach is going to be empty for the most part.. right? Same with a baby, and when our stomach is empty, we are hungry, so naturally, babies may fuss until the bottle is in their mouth and they are eating again to fill up their stomach even if they puke it up afterwards again.

GL and hope this experience helps with your DD! =D Update asap please.

mandapanda82
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Do I need to mix it with her current formula if I get the alimentum- do gradually adjust her to it? Or is that not necessary?

Quoting TerriB0311:

My DS had a severe milk protein allergy and spit up a lot! Soy actually made it worse. You may want to consider Similac Alimentum. Once I switched to that, he was a new baby. Good luck! I know how hard it is to watch a LO in pain.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:06 PM

My son had reflux at around 4 months old. He would almost puke up the formula, but then want more right away.

I told his pedi and his pedi said to add some cereal to his formula.. Not a lot. Just a little. To help thicken what he gets, so it's not so easy to come back up. That it should heal itself as he grows. 

It has. The cereal helped him to keep the food down and he started asking for food less often. 

Good luck.

AshlynnJadesMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:18 PM
I would say no. My daughter had SEVERE reflux to the point that she stopped breathing and was put on a feeding tube because she WOULDN't eat from the reflux. To this day at 14 months old I still have feeding issues with her due to the trauma reflux caused her.
AshlynnJadesMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Also my daughter was on about 4 medicines a day and I had to thicken her formula. She was on neocate which is SUPER expensive and is made for reflux/milk allergies. After a week in the hospital after a severe burn in her esophagus from reflux we had to change everything we did and put her on all those medicines. It did help but she had some damage so she still won't eat a lot. She is 14 months old and only weighs 16 lbs
iansmommy9
by Natasha on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Ds had reflux. He liked to be inclined in a bouncer or car seat until we got the reflux controlled. If you had heartburn when pregnant, well, that's what baby feels with reflux. Laying flat hurts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)