Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:48 PM
  • 16 Replies
I am just curious about how others weaned. I am nowhere close to ready & will likely let her wean herself, but I'm curious... Is there much discomfort? My goal is at least a year but bid she still wants to I will continue to nurse her. I want to know about some others experience.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jridgill
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

With my son I was pregnant and he was 16 months old. It took us 3 months but I made him wean. Everytime he would nurse it would burn so bad because of the pregnancy hormones I just coldn't take it.

With my daughter I weaned her about 14 months because I was just done. I was ready to have my body and space back. Selfish or whatever you want to call it but I still stand by my decision that it was something I needed to do for me. I was so much happier after that.

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:38 PM

My 2 year old is still nursing, i'm planning on letting her self wean.

abra
by Abra on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Only one of my kids (the 2nd one) self weaned and she was 8 months old. Real food just became more interesting. My first was formula fed. My third was taking 40oz of pumped breastmilk by 7 months old and I wasn't able to keep enough weight on to continue and still be healthy, so we started giving him a bottle and transitioning to a soy milk, or formula along with real foods. He loves food so it wasn't a problem. #4 I had to wean at 6 months due to an injury. We gave him a bottle of pumped milk periodically since he was a newborn (for date night and that kind of thing), so transitioning him to formula wasn't a problem at all. I know I'm really lucky, but weaning has never been a problem for my kids. They were happy as long as they were getting yummie food regardless of the source. :-)
kirstina
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:30 PM
My 1st weaned for medical reasons at 11 months. It took 1 week. It was easy but he was already eating a lot of food. My second I weaned because I wanted my body back and I was working funny hours. NY 3rd is 15 months old. She is still nursing 2-4 times a day. She just got in 2 new teeth and has been nursing more the last few days. I don't have a time frame set for when I will wean her but we will take our time and just go about it slowly.
YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:16 PM
I weaned two of my kids. The other 'self weaned' due to a pregnancy.

The best way is to cut back slowly, usually one feeding a week. Discomfort means that you are doing it too quickly and putting yourself at risk for mastitis.
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:29 PM
My oldest I cold turkey weaned at a year. My second I became open to breastfeeding beyond one due to his doctor recommending it for his specific needs, I eventually limited his nursing to certain times that I was comfortable with and as he got older those times gradually dropped off as he did things like stopped napping, etc. Youngest will be 2 in a month and he's still breastfed completely on demand, no weaning or limiting it in sight at this point.

There are positives & negatives to all 3 approaches I've taken.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Laulaulu321
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:49 PM
My son self-weaned
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:08 PM
My 21 month old is still nursing. We're doing child led weaning, she will nurse as long as she wants to. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mollysmom328
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:36 PM

I finished weaning at 19 months.  It went really smoothly and she didn't cry and only asked for it a couple of times a week for a bit.  If it was harder on her I would have continued until it wasn't so hard on her.  I was working full time as a teacher and only nursing before bed anyway.  There was no discomfort for me because she was only nursing once a day. 

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:41 PM

No discomfort!  Your body supplies the milk for the demand, so as the demand decreases so does the milk supply.  

I wanted to go at least 18-24mos with our daughter and she self-weaned at 13mos :(  We shall see how long our son goes.......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)