Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

breastfeeding on meds... wwyd UPDATED

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:21 PM
  • 19 Replies
im severely depressed so i went to the doc and prescribed meds. on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the most dangerous for the baby the meds are a 3. until now i have not taken any because i want to continue breastfeeding. the thing is that the depression is getting worse. would you deal with it or stop nursing and take the meds? ETA: ITS VENLAFAXINE. THANKS FOR ALL THE RESPONSES LADIES.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abra
by Abra on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Which one is it, if you dont mind my asking. I have used zoloft before while breastfeeding and I havent noticed any difference in those babies then my babies I didn't need it with.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:26 PM
I would take the meds and continue bfing. What did they guve you? Zoloft is compatible with bfing.

ETA: also keep in mind that Dr Hale lists formula as being an L4, so a L3 I wouldn't worry to much about.
YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:27 PM
2 moms liked this
Do you have the names of the meds? If so, check out LactMed. It will tell you if it is safe to take. Also, Dr. Hale has a hotline you can call...I don't have the number but I know some people in the BF group do have it. Post this there and they can give it to you.
happybaby503
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:29 PM

It depends. How are you coping with your depression? I mean, are you taking active steps to manage it (writing in a journal, being a part of a support group, going on walks)

I am a firm believer of not breastfeeding while on medications. That effects your childs overall well-being too...have you done research on the medications (chemical composition, side effects)

What does your doctor advise?

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Check Lactmed. I was put on Celexa and the doctor that prescribed it was obviously uncomfortable with extended breast (my son was 14 months at the time.) He told me it would cause my son to be fussy and decrease milk supply. I looked into myself and it increases mill supply. Studies showed no long term effects on babies either.

My son hasn't had an issue and I'm still nursing and the meds are helping!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:00 PM

What med?   I'd need to check the med before I could comment. 

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Depending on the med I would most likely take the med and continue breastfeeding.

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/meds/aap-approved-meds/

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:34 PM

What meds are you on?  Your OB should've given you a different/safe med.

I take Topomax daily for migraines and I broke down and HAD to get meds for PPD.  I'm on zoloft daily.  I've been EBF for 6mos now.  I have NO issues and my child has shown no side effects.  You just have to look for weight loss and sleepiness.  The medication that is passed thru your milk is minimal, but some babies do have reactions.  Just monitor your LO closely the first few weeks.  

mollysmom328
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:10 PM

If it's an L3 I would not hesistate breastfeeding on it

TerriB0311
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM
I'm not a professional, so I can't comment on the BF aspect. But, if you are depressed and it's getting worse, please start taking some med before the depression spirals out of control. Your baby needs a happy mama that can take care of him/her. I'd go with the advice of the previous posters, but take care of yourself. Ppd is very real and can get worse very quickly. Hugs, mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)