Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies
So my dd had her 4 month check up and she confirmed she has mild reflux. She recommended rice cereal in her bottle! 2 tsp. per 4 oz bottle to thicken it so she doesn't spit up. Now I didn't really wanna do rice cereal so idk? She said if it doesn't work to call thurs and she'll call in a Rx for Zantac. I already tried the cereal and baby seems content. I don't know??? I understand its nutritionally void, but if it'll help her spit up, why not? Should I do the Zantac or cereal????
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Replies (11-20):
mandapanda82
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Interesting

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

http://thebabybond.com/GER.html

YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Here is an article about different kinds of formula and when to use soy:

http://www.stlouischildrens.org/articles/wellness/breaking-down-baby-formula

Quoting mandapanda82:

See I'm not sure- her first 3 weeks of life she was in the nicu and I was pumping exclusively. And then she started having symptoms that made the nurses think shw wasnt tolerating something in my diet- and I was concerned about my meds so I stopped pumping, and they started the soy. So idk?

Quoting YzmaRocks:

I say research it a lot before making a decision. Does she have a dairy allergy?

Quoting mandapanda82:

Soy- and she doesn't think it's a soy allergy. But even just a little you think could be a problem? And what would the negative effects of a couple tsp of it be?

Quoting YzmaRocks:

What kind of formula are you giving her? I personally wouldn't do cereal either unless all other options had been exhausted.

TerriB0311
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM
My Ds had a milk protein allergy and went on Alimentum. He still had bad reflux so I gave him Zantac that the dr prescribed. Worked wonders! He was only on it from about 4 months to 8/9 months when he was eating solids. The amount they get is tiny. I'd def try cereal first but the Zantac won't hurt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
expectantmom81
by Erin on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Ds had reflux real bad. The cereal didn't help with the spitting. it just helped to add calories because he wasn't gaining from spitting up so much. He eventually ended up on Prevacid and prescription formula.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandapanda82
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Ya I read that

Quoting YzmaRocks:

I was asking because 50% or so of children who have a milk protein allergy also have a soy allergy.

Quoting mandapanda82:

See I'm not sure- her first 3 weeks of life she was in the nicu and I was pumping exclusively. And then she started having symptoms that made the nurses think shw wasnt tolerating something in my diet- and I was concerned about my meds so I stopped pumping, and they started the soy. So idk?

Quoting YzmaRocks:

I say research it a lot before making a decision. Does she have a dairy allergy?

Quoting mandapanda82:

Soy- and she doesn't think it's a soy allergy. But even just a little you think could be a problem? And what would the negative effects of a couple tsp of it be?

Quoting YzmaRocks:

What kind of formula are you giving her? I personally wouldn't do cereal either unless all other options had been exhausted.

mandapanda82
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:57 PM
What is it? Drops you put in their bottle?

Quoting TerriB0311:

My Ds had a milk protein allergy and went on Alimentum. He still had bad reflux so I gave him Zantac that the dr prescribed. Worked wonders! He was only on it from about 4 months to 8/9 months when he was eating solids. The amount they get is tiny. I'd def try cereal first but the Zantac won't hurt.

mandapanda82
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Actually in the nicu she had alot of diarrhea so maybe she was lactose intolerant- I did eat lots of dairy

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Here is an article about different kinds of formula and when to use soy:

http://www.stlouischildrens.org/articles/wellness/breaking-down-baby-formula

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting YzmaRocks:

TerriB0311
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this
No. It comes like cough syrup and a syringe and you give it orally like you would Tylenol. He loved it for some reason. Guess the taste was better than formula.

Quoting mandapanda82:

What is it? Drops you put in their bottle?

Quoting TerriB0311:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
merryvoice
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:45 PM

My daughter was on Zantac for acid reflux, but she was also only two months old when she got it. Too young for rice cereal. If you're not comfortable with the rice cereal for her yet, I would get the medicine. It worked really well. 

LyTe684
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:47 PM
I did cereal.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)