Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Co sleeping, current or former, PLEASE HELP!

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:31 PM
  • 23 Replies
so we started letting dd in our bed at about the 3 week mark. Breastfeeding, tired, yes I was lazy. Well fast forward, now 8 months old. She used to let me lay her down occasionally, by feeding her then slipping a pacifier in her mouth. The last week has been awful! Even next to me, she won't sleep. She suddenly wants to be latched to boob and physically on top of me. I want my bed space back. What do I do? We tried cio even though I was against it. she won't give in. nicer suggestions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angela.bouchard
by Angela on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I would help her get to sleep by rocking her and nursing at the same time and laying her down once she is either already asleep or close to. 

whatssleep
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe she's teething and is looking to the breast for comfort? Maybe try to give her some ibprophen or Tylenol and see if it makes her less clingy thru the night? My boy went thru separation stages here and there also. I just stuck them out. I coslept with him till he was about a year and moving him to his crib was a super easy transition. If your room allows try her crib in your room instead of CIO and put a stuffed animal in her crib. If you do try CIO in her room if she's crying but not so upset she vomits let her be. I found checking on them upsets them more cuz I think they feel like they are going to get what they want when they see you and get more upset when you leave. Also white noise like a fan in the room can also help to create a calm environment. I wouldnt allow yourself to say you were lazy for cosleeping. It's wonderful to cuddle your sweet sleeping baby and I don't care what other parents say about cosleeping!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GwenGray
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Once mine started doing that, I would rock and nurse him to sleep and then go lay down with him. By then he was so tired all he cared about was having his tit. My son is now 9 months old. We just started having him sleep in his own bed at about 8 months. Most nights he'll sleep through the night, on the nights he wakes up (like tonight) he'll cry a few min, then goes back to sleep.

LKRA
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this

You don't want my advice. lol I'm in the "they're only little for a short while, so cuddle up" camp. :)

There's a reason why she's nursing more. Teeth, sickness, growth spurt. Could be anything. I say roll with it.

Chan_Brawner88
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Shes never slept through the night, even co sleeping. She always insists on nursing back to sleep. She has a big freak out when she wakes up in crib. I wish she could get herself back to sleep!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whatssleep
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Does she eat good, I mean solids? Feed her a big dinner including something like crackers or bread with it until she's full then breast before bed and that's it. When she wakes mid-night try music, rocking, or massage or if she's not too upset let her cry. I cut my son off at night and he woke at 3am cried and fussed for probably an hour but best thing I did for us! He's slept all night since!

Quoting Chan_Brawner88:

Shes never slept through the night, even co sleeping. She always insists on nursing back to sleep. She has a big freak out when she wakes up in crib. I wish she could get herself back to sleep!
Marimaru
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Sounds normal to me.  Probably teething and/or growth spurt.  If it were me, I'd rock her to sleep and then lay her in her crib.  When she wakes up to eat, you do the same thing again.  I don't do any kind of sleep training until after the year mark (and not cio, for us anyway).

jridgill
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:08 AM
I slept topless pretty much the first year of my kids lives. They had to be latched on al the time. I quit night nursing my son at 14 months and same with my daughter. Took 3 days of me telling them no and then they quit asking. I never did CIO because it broke my heart. I just laid beside them and shhhhhhh in their ear and they fell back asleep eventually.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:43 AM
1 mom liked this
You're actually not supposed to night wean from the breast until a year. This can cause some babies to lose weight.

Quoting whatssleep:

Does she eat good, I mean solids? Feed her a big dinner including something like crackers or bread with it until she's full then breast before bed and that's it. When she wakes mid-night try music, rocking, or massage or if she's not too upset let her cry. I cut my son off at night and he woke at 3am cried and fussed for probably an hour but best thing I did for us! He's slept all night since!

Quoting Chan_Brawner88:

mcguirebaby
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:20 PM

She's probably teething or having a growth spurt. It should pass in the next week or two.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)