Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Why do I feel like my baby is dead

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:47 PM
  • 53 Replies

I love my son (Sam) and ever since he was born, I always had this fear of walking into his bedroom and looking down on him in his crib and seeing that he's dead.

I hate this feeling and I wish it would stop.

I feel like I have to make it a routine to check up on him multiple times at one naptime.

Like now, he's been sleeping for 3 1/2 hours which is totally, totally normal for him (he's 6 months old) and I'm afraid of going in there and seeing him dead. I had this same fear with my oldest son (Alex) when he was younger. He's 7 yrs old now so I don't worry about him like I use to when he sleeps.

I just don't know what to do anymore. Ir's driving me crazy!

Is this a normal feeling to have?

Have you felt like this before? What did you do? How did you resolve this problem.

But when Sam (my youngest son) was 3 months old, there was an incident where he was laying on his back with his eyes wide open and he was motionless. (he has an airplane hanging on his mobile) He was looking at that. He only stayed that way for 5 seconds until he noticed that I was there and then he looked at me and smiled.

But for those 5 seconds (it seemed like it lasted 10 hours) I was so afraid that he was dead. And I feel that my paranoid behavior got worse after that incident. I was afraid before it happened but it wasn't as bad as after the incident happened. And then last week, while he was taking his afternoon nap, I tip toed in there to see if he was ok and I couldn't see him breathe (i got scared) and I gently touched his back (yes! he sleeps on his tummy, get over it he's 6 months old and he rolls by himself, it's out of my control) so i felt his back and he was breathing just fine.

I thought after having my first kid, this fear would have gone away.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baby7810
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

i had always felt that way and also went to check on my dd ALOT during naps and bedtime. i think alot of moms go through it. sorry. and all i did was rub her back a lil just to get her to squirm or feel her breath

mandapanda82
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I get like that w my 4 month old when she takes Long naps... So I rush in quietly to check on her if she's breathing. I know it's scary being a momma were always worrying..:( hang in there! 

vinalex0581
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:54 PM

ugh!! i hate this feeling.

i really do.

there has to be a way to stop feeling like this

AngryBob
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm on my third kid and I still feel that way. It was worse with the other two, because I had post partum depression really bad. I would also get severe anxiety when changing my son's diaper, because I was afraid he would pee on me. Rational, but the anxiety got to a crippling point. My newest baby is four weeks old, and I've had a much easier time. I am trying to not dwell on my fears and insecurities. I used to have horrific nightmares all throughout my pregnancies and during the time they were newborns. I had them back to back, so this is three years of nightmares, and fear of death and changing diapers. I wish I knew of a way to overcome it. Like I said, it's better this time around, but I'm not sure why. Maybe because I'm used to the influx od hormones, maybe because this time, dh is more supportive. Maybe because this one was a natural, drug-free birth. I don't know. I just know that stress and anxiety do crazy stuff to us. You're more than welcome to pm me if you like, to talk.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ashley21
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I had that same problem so bad that I would have anxiety attacks. I had to be put on medication to stop them.
babygomez
by April on Jan. 8, 2013 at 4:30 PM
2 moms liked this

You're definitely NOT alone.

When I start having scary thoughts like that, I just pray, remind myself to think positive, and that God is watching over them.

calvinsmommy18
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 4:53 PM
2 moms liked this
I check on my kids often at night. Its just what I do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abra
by Abra on Jan. 8, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this
That is pretty normal. I have four kids and sometimes that thought will scare me too. I do what I can to protect my kids, but after that, I just have to trust God.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this

That is pretty normal especially with a first baby.

MommyO2-6631
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this
My first came home on an apnea monitor so i wasn't worried but now with 6 month old i can't sleep unless he's close to me. I check on him up to 6 times at might!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN