Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Metal bottle ~ added link with video to replies

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:25 PM
  • 13 Replies

Did anyone else see the news video about the metal bottles? They are having problems with kids getting their tongue stuck in them and its quite serious. I saw the video on Facebook but I don't know how to post it here. It's really scary.

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandapanda82
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Metal bottles? Never even heard of em! I'm gonna google- like baby bottles?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mel0dy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Never heard of them 

expectantmom81
by Erin on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:51 PM

This kind
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:53 PM
I have a metal one but there is no way a child's tongue could get caught in it.
expectantmom81
by Erin on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Is is a wider tip or just like that one? The reason I ask is because in the video they show that what happens is the tongue goes in the bottle and then the bottle creates a suction and since metal can depress like plastic the tongue begins to swell cause it to get stuck and they have to actually cut the bottle open and surgically remove the tongue. It was pretty disturbing. I am trying to figure out how to post the video.

YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Wider. Even an adult's tongue would have a hard time getting stuck in it. What brand is that? I have a Pura.

And couldn't the same thing happen with a plastic bottle?

Quoting expectantmom81:

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Is is a wider tip or just like that one? The reason I ask is because in the video they show that what happens is the tongue goes in the bottle and then the bottle creates a suction and since metal can depress like plastic the tongue begins to swell cause it to get stuck and they have to actually cut the bottle open and surgically remove the tongue. It was pretty disturbing. I am trying to figure out how to post the video.

expectantmom81
by Erin on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:03 PM

http://todaynews.today.com/_news/2013/01/01/16285657-rossen-reports-metal-water-bottles-can-endanger-kids?lite

Ok this link should bring you to the video. My bottles are going in the trash.

expectantmom81
by Erin on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Im not sure the brand. I just added the pic from google to show the style. They say the problem with the metal is because it can't relese the suction and also because of the groves in the top because they are on the inside unlike a water bottle. I added a reply with the link to the video.

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Wider. Even an adult's tongue would have a hard time getting stuck in it. What brand is that? I have a Pura.

And couldn't the same thing happen with a plastic bottle?

Quoting expectantmom81:

Quoting YzmaRocks:

expectantmom81
by Erin on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Here is a better pic. The previous pic was not accurate. I didn't realize the ridges were on the outside and not the inside like this one.

EmmaZate
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:15 PM
That's actually quite scary. I think I will be getting rid of my metal water bottles....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)