Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Where'd my happy baby go?

Posted by   + Show Post
So the past couple days I noticed my 4 month old dd just doesn't seem as happy. She's not really smiling and is fussy. Monday she got her vaccines.. Maybe that's why? And I started 2 tsp rice cereal in bottle which she is eating fine and Zantac. Has this ever happened to your lo's suddenly? And did they get over it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Replies (21-30):
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:09 PM

They shouldn't have to "adjust" to solids. 

mandapanda82
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:09 PM
I said I. The post she seems less happy! It doesn't mean she was never happy!! Babies with reflux can have happy moments too!! Or maybe I'm completely wrong and am unnecessarily medicating my baby??!! Wtf!! I'm giving this a shot ok! Thanks geez
I said I? Sorry mobile

Quoting emkirkley:

oh, then why'd you ask where your HAPPY baby went?

anyway, keeping upright, wear in a baby carrier, changing formulas, zantac (bear in mind it takes 2-3 weeks to know if it going to really help because that's how long the esophagus will take to heal), axid, pepcid, prevacid, etc can all be helpful, but if it is in irritation or allergy changing formula is the best place to start.

Quoting mandapanda82:

No she was a very fussy baby- I mean she smiled, but like 20 mins after she are she's start getting squirmy and fussy and she always has to be inclined- hates being on her back she just would seem in pain

Quoting emkirkley:

not always, most kids if they are going to drop the irritability will get used to it at about the 2 week mark.

I don't really understand though, if your baby was generally happy before then why the zantac?  It doesn't stop spit up, it only stops the pain associated with it...most reflux babies aren't happy babies.

Quoting mandapanda82:

Is irritability always a side effect- or do they adjust to it?

The Zantac I mean

Quoting emkirkley:

the vaccines can do it, but irritability is a side effect of zantac and it's also a side effect of having solids before their tummy is ready, with so many changes it'll be hard to pinpoint what it is.

mandapanda82
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:20 PM
No? Ya in just gonna stop the cereal anyways. I didn't even want to use cereal- dr just said give it a try for the reflux

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:24 PM

your title said where did my happy baby go?  but they you said she was generally a very fussy baby, so which was it, was she a happy baby or a fussy baby?

As for unnecessarily medicating, yes, many babies are unnecessarily medicated for reflux, I have had a true reflux baby. And I have had two who spit up a lot, but who did not have nearly the same symptoms.

Most reflux babies have many of the following symptoms

spit up more than 20x per day

spit up after 6 months when they should have outgrown it

frequent, persistent hiccups

frequent "wet" burps

sound of constant swallowing

chronic nasal congestion

night wheezing

neck/back arching and/or sandifer syndrome

sudden outbursts of unconsolable crying

poor sleep habits

sudden waking from sleep and screaming

Quoting mandapanda82:

I said I. The post she seems less happy! It doesn't mean she was never happy!! Babies with reflux can have happy moments too!! Or maybe I'm completely wrong and am unnecessarily medicating my baby??!! Wtf!! I'm giving this a shot ok! Thanks geez
I said I? Sorry mobile

Quoting emkirkley:

anyway, keeping upright, wear in a baby carrier, changing formulas, zantac (bear in mind it takes 2-3 weeks to know if it going to really help because that's how long the esophagus will take to heal), axid, pepcid, prevacid, etc can all be helpful, but if it is in irritation or allergy changing formula is the best place to start.

Quoting mandapanda82:

No she was a very fussy baby- I mean she smiled, but like 20 mins after she are she's start getting squirmy and fussy and she always has to be inclined- hates being on her back she just would seem in pain

Quoting emkirkley:

not always, most kids if they are going to drop the irritability will get used to it at about the 2 week mark.

I don't really understand though, if your baby was generally happy before then why the zantac?  It doesn't stop spit up, it only stops the pain associated with it...most reflux babies aren't happy babies.

Quoting mandapanda82:

The Zantac I mean

Quoting emkirkley:

the vaccines can do it, but irritability is a side effect of zantac and it's also a side effect of having solids before their tummy is ready, with so many changes it'll be hard to pinpoint what it is.

mandapanda82
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:27 PM
She has more than half those symptoms-- look I'm not gonna get into whose baby is more sick!!

Quoting emkirkley:

your title said where did my happy baby go?  but they you said she was generally a very fussy baby, so which was it, was she a happy baby or a fussy baby?

As for unnecessarily medicating, yes, many babies are unnecessarily medicated for reflux, I have had a true reflux baby. And I have had two who spit up a lot, but who did not have nearly the same symptoms.

frequent "wet" burps

chronic nasal congestion

night wheezing

poor sleep habits

Quoting mandapanda82:

I said I? Sorry mobile

Quoting emkirkley:

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting emkirkley:

Quoting mandapanda82:

The Zantac I mean

Quoting emkirkley:

Action_Jaxon
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:31 PM
some drs recommend it for spit up and reflux. My pediatrician mentioned doing that for ds if his zantac doesnt control it enough.

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

Probably the vaccines. And you shouldnt put the cereal in the bottle.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandapanda82
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM
IMO it's worth a try-- I'm trying to help my baby feel better... I think I know my baby more than you.. Thank you

Quoting mandapanda82:

She has more than half those symptoms-- look I'm not gonna get into whose baby is more sick!!

Quoting emkirkley:

frequent "wet" burps

chronic nasal congestion

night wheezing

poor sleep habits

Quoting mandapanda82:

I said I? Sorry mobile

Quoting emkirkley:

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting emkirkley:

Quoting mandapanda82:

The Zantac I mean

Quoting emkirkley:

Action_Jaxon
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:35 PM
2 moms liked this
try enfamil-ar. it already has the rice in it and is made for babies with excessive spit up.

Quoting mandapanda82:

No? Ya in just gonna stop the cereal anyways. I didn't even want to use cereal- dr just said give it a try for the reflux

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:37 PM

who's making it into that...I'm stating facts

1) many babies are medicated for reflux when that's not the issue

2) I had a reflux baby and two that just spit up a lot

3) those are the symptoms they should be checking for before attempting to medicate

4) if you are not breastfeeding the first step should be to try a formula that is made for sensitive tummies or allergy-free for a minimum of a month because it takes at least 2 weeks to eliminate the food from the entire system (I prefer not soy based on research I've done over the past 11 years with my 3 kids, and liquid not powder because the perservatives in the powdered formulas are different and symptom improvement can often be seen if you switch to concentrate or ready to feed)...if you are breastfeeding you should try eliminating soy and dairy for a minimum of a month to see if there are changes

as far as anything else...you can take advice, you can leave advice, you can do some research and make sure you are happy with the decisions being made for your child.  reflux.org is a great start, it is run by PAGER (parents of adolescents with gastro-esophageal reflux)...I'm not here to argue with you, I just think your choice in wording was poor, since, no, I've never met a true reflux baby who was generally happy, had happy moments, yes, but not generally happy or an easy baby.  I have given you tons of info to look at...take it or leave it.

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting emkirkley:

frequent "wet" burps

chronic nasal congestion

night wheezing

poor sleep habits

Quoting mandapanda82:

I said I? Sorry mobile

Quoting emkirkley:

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting emkirkley:

Quoting mandapanda82:

The Zantac I mean

Quoting emkirkley:

TerriB0311
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:40 PM
I really wish people would stick to what is asked and stop being so nasty. Some of these comments are just way too rude and holier than thou.

Op- to answer your questions the best I can:
I had a baby with milk protein allergy so he went on Alimentum for tummy troubles. He was diagnosed with true reflux-more than 3/4 of the symptoms above and was put on Zantac. It took 2 weeks for me to notice any improvement. If you think it might be the cereal, you can either stop it or try barley. It's less binding than rice. And it could very well be the shots. If memory serves, at 4 months they get the DTAP which hurts like crazy. My lil guy was fussier than normal for about 3-4 days after that shot series. I got the same shot a few days after him and my arm killed me for a week!

Sorry you're having a rough time. Hope your LO settles down soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN