Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Feeding at night

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:19 PM
  • 25 Replies
At a parenting class I took today, we watched a video on Sleep training. In the video the man speaking said that once a baby reaches 15 pounds or so...they no longer technically need to eat during the night. But since they are used to waking up too feed, they do. My daughter used to sleep 10 hours straight, and was perfectly fine. But the past month or more she has woken up probably 3 times a night too eat. Obviously she can go a long period of time at night w/o eating.

So my question is, is she really hungry or is it just a habit? Should I try feeding her more during the day to compensate for the night time feeding, and maybe she'll sleep through the night?

Or is this totally wrong and she knows when she's hungry lol. There are wayyyyy too many opinions out there and its very hard to know whats best for her specifically.

*06.12.12*
Adilynn Grace

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Blue_Spiral
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I would go with your baby's cues. What she does as an infant are needs, not wants, within reason, of course.

For example, your 4 month old is not dying to eat your cheeseburger lol.

Also, are you breastfeeding or bottle feeding? That has a lot to do with sleeping at night...

Blue_Spiral
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Also, feeding during the night helps to prevent SIDS and is a very very normal "habit" for babies.

There is nothing at all wrong with wanting to eat at night until they're like... 6? lol

PEEK05
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:25 PM
5 moms liked this

I fed my kids at night .I don't do that sleep training bullshit.

TessaRae01
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Quoting Blue_Spiral:

I would go with your baby's cues. What she does as an infant are needs, not wants, within reason, of course.

For example, your 4 month old is not dying to eat your cheeseburger lol.

Also, are you breastfeeding or bottle feeding? That has a lot to do with sleeping at night...

Im bottle feeding, and have been since she was born, and she will be 7 months on Saturday.

*06.12.12*
Adilynn Grace

Loralismommy224
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Quoting TessaRae01:

She could be teething.
TessaRae01
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Quoting Loralismommy224:

I thought that as well, she has been for a few months, but she hasnt gotten a tooth yet.

*06.12.12*
Adilynn Grace

sadiebug1228
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:41 PM
My daughter was 5 weeks old when she started sleeping all night and she didn't get back to her birth weight (5lbs 2oz) until 6 weeks. I personally think it depends on the baby. How old is ur daughter? I think past 8 months they should be fine to sleep all night and if they wake don't feed them just comfort them back to sleep or let them CIO if that's what u do
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShesALady
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Babies have growth spurts and need more food. I always fed them when they were hungry.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:47 PM
It can takes weeks/months for teeth to get through the gum. My kids all started teething at 2 months but the teeth didn't get through the gum until 6-8 months. My first two had al their teeth by 12 months but my 16 month old only has half of his teeth(6 on bottom 4 on top.)

Quoting TessaRae01:

Quoting Loralismommy224:

I thought that as well, she has been for a few months, but she hasnt gotten a tooth yet.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyMarie80
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:47 PM
2 moms liked this

There are a number of reasons why a baby's sleep patterns might change - illness, teething, growth spurt, new milestones being met during the day, changes - big or small - to life in general. . . . . . There is no set age for a baby to sleep "through the night" (which is actually only a 5-6 hour stretch) or to go all night without food.  Waking at night is a protection against SIDS. On top of all of that, I am a grown woman and sometimes wake hungry or thirsty at night - why would I expect more of my child than of myself  :)    I know that my 20 month old doesn't NEED to nurse every time she wakes during the night (and it's not often, but it does still happen), but she very well could be hungry - if she's not, she'll suckle for a minute and go back to sleep, but sometimes she really chows down. . . . . .

Beyond the feeding issue - sleep training. . . . . . I've done some form of thsi with each of my children once they hit 10-12 months.  I helped them, gently and over a period of about a month, learn to fall asleep on their own.  But having them FALL asleep does not mean they will STAY asleep  ;)  And no amount of sleep training can do that!  Babies wake at night - it's part of their make-up, and nothing we do will change that.  They will stop waking when they are ready, and not a day sooner.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)