Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Advice Needed:

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:52 PM
  • 14 Replies

hi my son is 13 months today, on dec 16 i switched him to cows milk and the first week he did fine then he got so constipated and in jan i had gave him a bottle of milk and he threw up all night. i stopped the milk and have been giving him apple juice and prune juice a week later his constipation is gone so do i start him on lactose? My brothers and I are lactose intolerant and so is our mom! while he was on the cows milk i made sure he had a lot of fiber thro out the day and when the constipation started i did try prune juice but it did not work till i stopped the milk. And when he was constipated he was in so much pain, what do i do for him? this is so hard to watch:( hes so unhappy!!!

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:55 PM
No one needs milk, feed him other sources of calcium or calcium fortified foods.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Lactose is the sugar in milk, it has nothing to do with why cow milk is so constipating. Also lactose intolerance in babies/young children is more than incredibly rare (99% of people claiming their baby was lactose intolerant and soy formula helped are misinformed-a lot of doctors even get this wrong- it's an intolerance to the protein in cow milk, NOT the lactose), because human breastmilk has way more lactose than cow breastmilk and human babies are designed to digest what human mothers naturally make, therefore there is an abundance of the necessary enzymes needed to digest the lactose. Lactose intolerance in older children/adults is actually completely normal and expected being as they are not expected to be breastfeeding, the body doesn't make necessary enzymes in abundance anymore. This is why so many have lactose issues, it's biological, not genetics.

That said, it's the incredibly difficult to digest protein in cow milk that's the likely cause of your baby's issues. A baby cow is in training to digest grass & shrubs with it's 4 stomachs, so a tough to break down protein isn't so bad. However when humans drink this milk it can cause issues since we are designed for a more gentle diet :-)

There's never a need for a human to drink cow milk. If it's giving him issues skip it! If he has a well balanced diet, there's no need for nutrition from milk. If his diet isn't so great, you can put him back on whatever formula he was using (they process the milk in the milk based formula to make it easier to digest), or use an alternate milk like coconut, hemp, or almond.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Stop giving it to him. It's not needed. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Bump!

funhappymom
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Yep, definitely not needed. There are alternative milks out there to give him.

funhappymom
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:59 AM

You may want to join the natural birth and parenting group. You don't have to be natural all the way around to be a member. I've seen a lot of talk about not using cow milk at all in there.

expectantmom81
by Erin on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:00 AM
That's what I would do. I'm pretty sure that lactos intolerance is hereditary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
juniebug11
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:03 AM
My dd liked milk... Alot, but we changed over to soy almond & she loves it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Petrovae
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I really want to pierce my baby girls ears. She is 5 month, but My family members have been very negative about my decision to do it. Do you guys think it is ok to pierce her ears this erly? Should I do it?

abra
by Abra on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:40 AM
It could be the lactose, it could be the processesing they do to it. A couple of my kids get tummy troubles, not from the milk itself, but from the pasteurization/homogenation, so we get local raw milk instead.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)