Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thumb sucking...

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:25 PM
  • 5 Replies
My LO is 4 months old and she found her thumb a couple days ago and loves sucking on it. She won't take a soother she never has, I have even tried different kinds. How do I make it so she doesn't continue? Is it just a phase that she will grow out of? Should I let her suck it? My MIL said to not let her cause it will bugger up her teeth when she is older. ANY ADVISE IS APPRECIATED!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jridgill
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:29 PM
How often is she doing it? I think all kids do it at one time or another. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:05 PM

My LO's all sucked their thumbs a little and stopped by the time they were one.

Emadele
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Ds1 sucked his thumb. Never really took to a pacifier. He gave it up just before his first birthday. Ds2 is a thumb sucker too. I'll allow him to continue. I prefer the thumb over a pacifier anyway. Both have the potential to effect their mout/teeth if they continue too far into toddler/childhood but I believe the pacifier causes more issues. All babies need oral soothing of some sort thumb/finger sucking is natural for babies. I'd say there's no reason to make baby stop now.

Married to Russell (7/27/09), Momma to Haydn (5/27/10) and Donavyn (8/1/12).
Cheyennesmommy4
by Christina on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:20 PM

bumpMy 2 year old was a thumb sucker even aftern he stopped using the pacifier at 6 months.

Amanda739
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Thanks ladies! It's great to know that I shouldn't be concerned over it. I guess that is what babies do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)