Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Needed: my 8 week old wants to be latched 24 7...

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:44 PM
  • 11 Replies

my 8 week old wants to be latched 24/7, we even have to sleep side by side. she won't have it any other way. Thank God husband is home from deployment so house chores get done. he says he doesnt mind but I would like to be able to stand up and help out once in a while. She is very loud and expressive about what she wants and she wants breast. The Dr. saw she wasnt gaining weight her first week of life & told us to supplement with formula. so since we do that, she is used to getting the milk on command so when I don't have a let down- it is screaming time! so I just have to switch her back and forth hoping the let down will come. how often do they come? it seems my breast will fill only once every hour or two.

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirstina
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:49 PM
If she wants to nurse let her. You may not feel the let down. I never did. You will make more milk the more she nurses.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Thats totally normal behavior for a baby that age.  If I were you I would slowly cut out the supplements.  It's totally normal for babies to not gain much weight or even loose weight that first week.  My daughter lost 8 ounces over the first few days and was back to her birth weight by two weeks, my pediatrician never questioned my milk supply or reccomended formula, he said weight loss is expected and nomal the first week.  Newborns sleep a lot and it can take a few weeks to establish a good breastfeeding relationship.  Telling you to supplement so early was awful advice. 

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:05 PM
Babies are supposed to still be losing weight during their first week of life, doc horribly misinformed you!! The constant nursing is normal and it should start slowing down soon. Are you still supplementing? Is so, how much and how often?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Oh and wearing her in a sling/wrap would greatly benefit you! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:14 PM
Ugh! Your pediatrician was completely wrong and obviously knows nothing about breastfed babies. It's completely normal for baby to lose 10-12% of birth weight. If you had an IV you'd expect loss to be on the higher end because the fluids puff baby up. You don't need to supplement and by doing so you're negatively effecting your supply and baby is starting to prefer bottles.

My advice drop supplements and nurse nurse nurse! Count diapers to monitor if she's getting enough, 6+ in 24 hours.

She's probably going through a growth spurt but also may be comfort nursing because she's at the right age for the long tortuous process of teething. Teething starts way before teeth start popping through the gum between 2-3 months, with copious amounts of drool and chewing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abra
by Abra on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I think I would switch drs. :-) Like the other ladies said, it is normal for them to look weight in the first two weeks (they go from constant nutrition environment to a feeding environment). Are you sure she is getting hindmilk? If she is only getting the milk in the "front", there will be lots of shallow, short feedings because the back milk is the most filling/nutritious. 

I'm not a fan of constant baby wearing (in its various forms) but I also haven't had a child who had to eat every half hour. :-)

ceckyl
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:39 PM

This

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

Ugh! Your pediatrician was completely wrong and obviously knows nothing about breastfed babies. It's completely normal for baby to lose 10-12% of birth weight. If you had an IV you'd expect loss to be on the higher end because the fluids puff baby up. You don't need to supplement and by doing so you're negatively effecting your supply and baby is starting to prefer bottles.

My advice drop supplements and nurse nurse nurse! Count diapers to monitor if she's getting enough, 6+ in 24 hours.

She's probably going through a growth spurt but also may be comfort nursing because she's at the right age for the long tortuous process of teething. Teething starts way before teeth start popping through the gum between 2-3 months, with copious amounts of drool and chewing.

j3084
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:38 AM

She has 2 ounces during the day and another 2 ounces at night-- so a total of 2 sessions.. but she never drinks the whole thing.:)

j3084
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:09 AM

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR THE ADVICE! It really means a lot that you took the time to help.  The doc claimed that she was worried about me at the time. bc I hadnt slept in about a week and was sleeping sitting up with her in my arms- my lo hadnt lost weight but it stayed the same (we went two days in a row) but while we were there, she spit up and the doc saw the amount and said "well its obvious your supply is fine but I am worried about your well being"  I was so delirious that I convinced myself she needed it for gaining weight. So she doesn't have more than 2 bottles per day which we only put 2 oz of enfamil in- and she hardly ever drinks it all. We also use the new Medella Calma nipple which is supposed to be similar to bf. since it is all we have used I cant really say if it is better  or worth it (as far as the nipple goes)

but we have progressed because when she was 4 weeks old until 6 weeks (until I got fenugreek) she was up to 6, 2 oz bottles per day

So I guess I will just let her be latched all day and see how it goes, I just hate the fussy moments when I don't have a let down.. what can I do to create one!?

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like baby has a flow preference?   She's used to getting a bottle where the milk just flows on demand, and the breast doesn't work that way.  

Ditch the bottles and she should adjust in a week or two.  Letdowns happen when they happen... you can have several per feeding (though you may not feel them or notice them).     Honestly the behavior sounds like it's related to the bottles.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)