Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Why dont doctors care?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi I'm new to this site but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask you guys about this....

We have struggled to get health insurance, we finally got some for our son but it's like cancer. It would be much better to never have gotten it. We are constantly told "we can't see you because we can't accept more new patients with that insurance" :( 

We finally found a doctor that would take us and we were extremely grateful. Until we met this guy. He was less than helpful. Our son lost three lbs in three weeks of course the doctor was very concerned. A couple weeks ago we had to go to a walk in clinic and got antibiotics for ear infections. He has had diarrhea and is having trouble maintaining weight ( not gaining just trying to stay at the mere 16lbs he is at now...) he was almost 19lbs at one point... :( anyhow so the doctor was concerned about his weight, so are we! So what does he do? What is his pearl of wisdom to share? He handed me a piece of paper with "guidelines on how and what to feed your baby" okay so this paper has things like "birth: feed your baby every 3-5 hours for 20 minutes" .............. "birth: give 1-3 oz of water every 1-3 hours"...........  Etc. Sonia's advice..... Is to feed my baby? :(so the past two month this has been an issue and I have been up worrying at night and offering food at every chance... Obviously I'm not doing good enough? Thanks..... 

Sigh sorry it's long, we cut out all solids but avocado and banana and breastmilkto try and get him to gain weight..... He has 10-12 wet diapers a day and now he has diarrhea in almost every diaper. Any advice on weight gain? Also any advice on how to stop diarrhea ... Please? :(

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Replies (11-20):
FrumpyMama
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Personally, I would stop all solids and just feed him breastmilk.  If he isn't reacting well to foods, isn't gaining and has the runs. Just quit it with the food for a bit and go back to mama's milk.  It's going to be rough for a few days, but it might be what he needs to help reset his system.  If anything it might stop the weight loss until it's figured out.

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:11 AM
With those kinda diaper outputs, it's obviously a baby issue and not a getting enough issue. Has he been checked for tongue & lip tie? Even if he has, I'd go to an expert and recheck.

Have you ever tried eliminating all milk (inciting hidden dairy in processed foods and all milk products, not just the white liquid) from your diet? That can cause weight gain issues if baby has an intolerance to the protein and also could explain the diarrhea. Be warned that once you eliminate it it takes at least 2 weeks to clear your system and another 2 for baby, soyou won't see improvement overnight ora anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyYuki
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

We have pretty much eliminated solids, they are given very sparingly and even when he gets some only about 1/3 of it makes it in his mouth :(  

He has never been checked for tongue tie, I'll have the doctor check or maybe I should try to get in touch with the le leche league? 

On the way to the store to get probiotics! Thanks for the advice 

Oh and we have done the elimination thing before :( it wasn't fun for me but we did it for about two months and it didn't help him before, do you think it can develop over time? Like not have an issue then have an issue later on? 

angela.bouchard
by Angela on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:21 AM
When did you start feeding him solids? That right there could be your issue if you're replacing formula/breast milk with solid food at a young age.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LadyYuki
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:24 AM

He helped himself to solids at 5 and 1/2 months I make sure to nurse before and after solids though :(

auntangelofsix
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Im so sorry hopeful lo get better soon..hopeful you get a dr in the future that will hopeful help you out but in the mean time good luck with the dr you have..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Whats his full weight history... were any of them on the same scale?  Also, when did he get sick and become mobile?   Just make me a timeline... :)

jenemiah
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM

My daughter had a bad time with diarrhea from a virus. Her formula was not helping things at all.  We spoke with her peditrician and he recommended some pedialite to help rehydrate her. We also put some infant vitamins in that pedialite. We gave her like 2 full bottle of that then gave one bottle of her formula.  Try some infant yogurt with acidopholis in it. It may help put some beneficial bacteria back in your lil mans tummy.  That may also help diminish diarrhea.Banana is a good choice to help. The BRAT diet is great for diarrhea. 

• Bananas
  • Rice and/or homemade rice cereal
  • Breads - specifically toasted breads
  • Pastas
  • White potato
  • applesauce.

Your lil man may not be ready to eat all of these things but you can try what he will. Good luck!!

ljhsteelers
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Formula
LadyYuki
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Here's the weight time line since we do record all this... :) 

Birth weight 7 lbs 2 oz

One month 9 lbs 2 oz 2nd month 12 lbs 3rd month 14 lbs 4th month 15 lbs 

5th month 16.6 lbs 

Week before 6 months 18.8 

This is when he started losing weight but was NOT mobile or teething or sick.... Just started losing weight :( 

6 months 17 lbs

He started crawling in this time frame

6 1/2 months 16.2 lbs

Started teething in here 

7 months 15.8 lbs 

Got sick with two colds and tooth finally popped out 

7 1/2 months ( right around now )

16 lbs 

He just got over his cold about a day and a half ago :)

All measured on the same scale in the same way ( totally naked baby )

We started probiotics yesterday and the brat diet and it seems to be helping a little we will give it a few days to see if it goes away ... 3 more days and it will be ten days since the diarrhea started :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)