Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Advice Needed: My little one is almost a month old and has...

Posted by   + Show Post

My little one is almost a month old and has had problems with formula since he was born, He couldn.t take Gerber Gentle Start because he spit it up everytime even when given medicine for reflux. The hospital then started him on Smilac Alimentum. Did ok with this for about a week until we began using powder formula and mixing with nursery water. Then the spit ups started again along with diarrhea. Dr. changed formula to Similac Sensitive and gave us several bottles to test use. Little one did really good on this liquid formula; no runny stools and hardly any spit up. Started him on the powder version yesterday and runny stools (they are the consistency of watery oatmeal) has started again. Mixing directions are followed exactly. Is there a difference in the liquid and the powder formula? Dr. office says to change him to the rice based Similac in the green canister, but it seems to be the powder that is the problem. The liquid is so much more expensive to use. What should I do? Help!!!

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Replies (11-12):
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree to try preparing it correctly and see if that helps... but, some kids just can't tolerate the powdered.   Also, he's only a month.. have you thought of trying to nurse him?   That would solve both the stomach issues and expense problem.

randhferedinos
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:23 PM
At only a month old, have you thought of relactating or trying to find donor milk? Otherwise like pp have suggested, correct formula preparations Are a must to minimize the amount of dangerous bacteria in powdered formula.
Good luck, hope everything smooths out for baby soon.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)