Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Help! 8month old refuses anything but the breast

Posted by   + Show Post
My son Miles is a few days shy of being eight months old. He has always been breastfed. I am a stay at home mom, so he has always been able to eat directly from the source. It's not like he would take a bottle of breast milk anyway if he was given the choice. When he turned six months old we stared introducing baby food to him and he was okay with it at first, especially if it was bananas. But that only lasted for about two or three weeks. He caught a little cold around that time and I still tried to get him to eat, though all he wanted to do was nurse. I thought to myself "it will get better after he gets over the cold." A week went by and he started feeling better and he started to eat solids a little better, and we seemed to be on the road to success for a week or two. So I decided that maybe it would be a good idea for him to try finger foods -puffs, peas, small pieces of cooked veggies and meats- and he seemed to be okay with that idea for a little while. About a week ago he started to get his front teeth -at least that's what we are all thinking by the way he acts, classic signs and such- and now whenever I try to give him baby food he freaks out and throws a complete fit. And the majority of the time he does it with finger foods too. I have tried everything I can think of to get him to eat -perfect timing, trickery, entertainment, sister in law veteran of five kids attempt- and nothing is seeming to work. He throws the biggest fit I have ever seen and I do not know what to do anymore. So I'm wondering, do any of you have any tips, tricks, or ideas on ways I could get him to eat more the just nursing?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Replies (21-25):
Blue_Spiral
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Right, that's something to be clear on.

Breastmilk has lower iron that formula, but formula has higher iron because baby cannot absorb it as well as it can from breastmilk.

Jaddie
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:34 AM
He tried cereal when he was eating solids decently and it made him vomit/dry heave profusely both times about 3-4 hours after he ate it.

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

This article is REALLY outdated.

The AAP guidelines state no solids before 6 months (other RELIABLE sources state offering later is fine too.)

A baby should sit completely unassisted.

Not automatically push food out(lost tongue thrust reflex.)

Use thumb and fingers in pincher grasp to pick up small foods.

The ONLY nutrient that is lower but NOT lacking is iron.

MYTH: Baby needs to start solids because there is not enough iron in breastmilk.

An additional reason given for starting solids is the “lack of iron in breastmilk.” Breastmilk does have lower iron levels than formula, but the iron in breastmilk is more readily absorbed by the baby’s gut than the iron in formula. Also, formula-fed babies tend to lose iron through fissures that develop in their intestines as a result of damage from cow’s milk. Breastfed babies do not lose this iron. Sometime after the first 6 months (much later for a lot of babies), most babies will require an additional source of iron other than mother’s milk. This can most often be obtained through small amounts of solid food.

Breastmilk is perfect. A mother can eat junk food all day but her milk will be healthy. A mother could be starving and her body would take nutrients from her body for her milk to make sure her child is well nourished.

Another cause of anemia in infants is feeding iron fortified cereals which block the natural iron from absorbing, another reason not to use cereals first but I won't go into that...

Quoting ColeMc3:

Sorry hun, didn't mean to sound snippy. Here is a short resource posted by a pediatrics physician.

http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/breastfeeding/a/starting_slds.htm

I'm not saying that there is no nutrional value at all past six months, it's just reduced. Babies start to need more iron, and other nutrients that may not be passing in the necessary amounts through breastmilk exclusively. I can look for some other studies, but google is really great for that. I hope this helps and I am by no means a doctor or expert. I just like to read :-)

Alexajkelly
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Hi,

My daughter is 7 1/2 months, and although she will take from the bottle, she will refuse any type of solids. We took her to the Dr who has referred us to a O.T. Appointment is this Friday, will let you know how it goes 

X

shortyali
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this
So your basing your opinion off an article that is 13 years old????

Here's one for you that is just about a year old: http://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap/aap-press-room/pages/AAP-Reaffirms-Breastfeeding-Guidelines.aspx?nfstatus=401&nftoken=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&nfstatusdescription=ERROR%3a+No+local+token

And here's one from this year: http://www.who.int/topics/breastfeeding/en/

Quoting ColeMc3:

Sorry hun, didn't mean to sound snippy. Here is a short resource posted by a pediatrics physician.

http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/breastfeeding/a/starting_slds.htm

I'm not saying that there is no nutrional value at all past six months, it's just reduced. Babies start to need more iron, and other nutrients that may not be passing in the necessary amounts through breastmilk exclusively. I can look for some other studies, but google is really great for that. I hope this helps and I am by no means a doctor or expert. I just like to read :-)

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Don't make a battle of it.   Offer him food on his tray at meals and then ignore it.   He'll eat when he's ready to... he doesn't actually NEED anything but the breast right now, so no reason to push it or stress about it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN