Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

1 yr old and doesn't sleep through the night!!!!

My ds is goig to be one on the 23... I thought by now he would e sleeping through the night and of course he is not... I don't lay him down till almost 9. I usually try and feed him dinner around 7:30 or 8. And than when he goes To bed i usually give him two bottle a formula rice bottle and a slow milk bottle if he is still hungry after formula bottle... My problem is he still wakes up crying like ten to twelve times throughout the night... Sometimes I have to make a milk bottle just to get him back to sleep.... Is this normal??? I thought he would be sleeping through the night...any advice would be appreciated thanks mommas... And just to throw it in there I am 38 weeks pregnant with a little girl and due any day now... I jut want to get this under control so I am not completely exhausted from beig up all night win both of them lol.... Thanks again
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Replies (21-30):
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:50 PM

It is possible he could be over eating but that doesn't mean that is what is happening. I can't say because I don't have a lot of experience with formula.

Anyways, unfortunately, it's normal for a baby to still wake up at night at this age.

I hope you start getting sleep!

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:36 PM

It's normal for a 1 year old to still wake up a few times a night.  10-12 times a night is a lot, but some babies are just like that (mine still woke 6-8 times a night at that age).  With a new baby on the way I can totally understand your frustration.  Keep in mind that sleeping through the night is a milestone that different kids hit at different ages.  Part of your problem may be all the food and formula and cereal he's eating before bed, being too full is going to give him a belly ache and cause him to wake more then he would otherwise. 

irishmama1007
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Normal. My 2nd didn't sleep through the night until he was around 15 months or so. Maybe try cutting back on the milk bottles. 2 at 1 time is a lot for a little tummy to handle. Since you are using formula start weaning him by putting less formula in the bottle for a few days until it is water and same for the 2nd one. Does he self soothe? If not I would start teaching him by laying him down drowsy but awake.

shortyali
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:54 AM
This. That is alot of food within a few hours of going to bed. Maybe try moving dinner up an hour or so and only do the one bottle at night just fed slower so his brain has time to register its full so the second bottle isn't needed. Also I've found no correlation between cereal in the bottle and sleeping longer. My DS1, who's almost 5, only sleeps 3-4 hrs straight because he has to get up to go potty or get a drink, my DD (2.5 years) sleeps the best and that's maybe 5 hrs at a time. DS2 isn't a good example because he's only 9 weeks.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

I wouldn't be able to sleep if I were stuffed like a thanksgiving turkey every night either.

They do it when they're ready. It's as simple as that. :)
ktinaza
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm right there with you. My son will be 14 months old in a week and he wakes up 3 to 8 times a night to nurse and just crying. I don't know but here's a bump and someone who knows what youre going through. I'm sorry and hope you figure it out soon.
ktinaza
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:57 AM
How do you do this? I lay my 13 month old drowsy and he gets up and crys while standing up for me. I'm not going to just let him cry but he won't go to sleep on his own.

Quoting irishmama1007:

Normal. My 2nd didn't sleep through the night until he was around 15 months or so. Maybe try cutting back on the milk bottles. 2 at 1 time is a lot for a little tummy to handle. Since you are using formula start weaning him by putting less formula in the bottle for a few days until it is water and same for the 2nd one. Does he self soothe? If not I would start teaching him by laying him down drowsy but awake.

zannahdeux
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:45 PM

My son is 14 months but 12 adjusted and does the same thing...recently we put a heater in his room to keep it warmer and it has worked! He now sleeps from 9 pm till five or six before waking up! I would try it...also is your baby  teething? 

mskitty6
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Normal and you can do it

irishmama1007
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:24 PM
My 2nd did this and we sat in a chair next to his crib while he fell asleep. Every few days we moved the chair further from the door. He acreamed his head off the 1st couple of nights but every few min we assured him he was ok and it was time for bed. Eventually he just laid down without tears and we were able to give kisses and leave. He is almost 3 now and sleeps like a champ.

Quoting ktinaza:

How do you do this? I lay my 13 month old drowsy and he gets up and crys while standing up for me. I'm not going to just let him cry but he won't go to sleep on his own.

Quoting irishmama1007:

JoeliePoelieMom
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like something is going on.  Yes, night waking is normal, but not that many times per night.  Have you spoken to your doctor about the possibility of silent reflux?  I would suggest giving zantac a try.  With silent reflux, acid creeps into the esophagus and causes a painful, burning sensation.  A bottle soothes the pain, which is why that often helps them get back to sleep. 

I would NOT use any kind of cry it out method in this case.  I think your baby is experiencing some kind of pain and/or discomfort that is waking him up.  Please do not just leave him to cry, at least until you and your doctor have ruled out pain. 

I'd schedule a doctor's appointment ASAP. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN