Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Precaution??

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:23 PM
  • 7 Replies
So my 14 month old is showing signs of possibly coming down with something. She has a wicked cough, a slight runny nose, sneezes and it seems like her nose is runinng in her throat cause shes randomly dry heaving. Can I start her on tylenol is a precautionary? I mean.. would it be effective?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Paradys
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:28 PM
No, tylenol is only for pain or fever. Doesn't have any effect on a cold.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Only give a fever reduceer if she is running a fever, and a fever is defined by most as over 100.4, personally I don't give tylenol for anything under 101 or 102- tylenol will not do any good if she is not running a fever, and it would have no effect at all on mild cold symptoms.  Keep her hydrated, saline drops in the nose, humidifier in her room or a nice steamy bathroom will do more good for her symptoms than tylenol.

Lovebugbaby
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:29 PM
I didn't think so. Figured id ask. Thank you!

Quoting Paradys:

No, tylenol is only for pain or fever. Doesn't have any effect on a cold.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lovebugbaby
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Does the humidifier really work? I don't know why but I've always been afraid to try it

Quoting preacherskid:

Only give a fever reduceer if she is running a fever, and a fever is defined by most as over 100.4, personally I don't give tylenol for anything under 101 or 102- tylenol will not do any good if she is not running a fever, and it would have no effect at all on mild cold symptoms.  Keep her hydrated, saline drops in the nose, humidifier in her room or a nice steamy bathroom will do more good for her symptoms than tylenol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Both my girls, DH, and myself all have allergies.  I keep a cool mist humidifier running in their room all day and night, and when I forget to refill it and they go a night without I notice a difference.  Basically the humidifer is an additional way of keeping their mucus secretions (what causes runny noses, cough, etc) thin so that they can clear it effectively.  I highly recommend a cool mist humidifier for a child's room; we use a warm humidifier in our room but the steam coming out is very hot so warm mist is not safe for a child's room.  DH also snores less when we use our humidifier, and my throat is not as raw and I am not as congested when we use it regularly.

Quoting Lovebugbaby:

Does the humidifier really work? I don't know why but I've always been afraid to try it

Quoting preacherskid:

CafeMom Tickers
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:46 PM
Sounds like the beginning of a cold. Tylenol is for fever or pain, so it wouldn't do any good.
Nicki1995
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Quoting cabrandy03:

Sounds like the beginning of a cold. Tylenol is for fever or pain, so it wouldn't do any good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)