Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Should I be doing anything to encourage my daughter to sit up and crawl?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:59 AM
  • 6 Replies

She is only 4 months and 1 week. I'm just wondering if I should be doing any practice techniques, other than tummy time. And how much tummy time each day? She does not want to be laying. She won't even let me nurse her, while laying. She is constantly doing "baby sit ups" and straining her neck. She gets so frustrated. And when I put her on the floor to play with her toys, she will roll around. I've literally left the room for a few minutes to come back to her about 4 feet from where I left her. I observed and she's rolling around. haha. Will she just do it when she is ready or should I be doing something to help her practice?

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
stargazerwolf
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:27 PM

At that age, just lots of tummy time mostley. You can also help hold her in a sitting position. I usually would help her do baby sit ups too, like when she's on her back, hold her hands and help her get sitting by lifting, then lay her back down, then repeat a few times. Mine were sitting with assistance around that age. My second also liked her bumbo seat at that point because she hated laying down, so if I needed to do something real quick I'd set her in the bumbo seat so she could sit up so I had my hands free which she like better than being set on the floor. Didnt have a bumbo with the first. Mine also started rolling everywhere to get around :)

Besides these few things, she will just do it when she is ready. Even though my second started sitting unassisted right before turning 6 months, she just drug herself around instead of actually crawling (she did a "comando" crawl using her arms to drag her body) And now she is almost 9 months and is finally starting to crawl normally on all fours. She started pulling herself to standing right before 7 months, she is already getting close to walking even though she's not 9 months yet. She started out just like yours so just be patient, once they start crawling they start pulling up and once that happens they start walking soon lol. It goes quick so be glad she isn't crawling yet lol. :)

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Just tummy time. I never did anything special.

Bump

Marimaru
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Just let her play on the floor.  Mine started rolling around at 3 months, and she's almost six months now, and getting up on all fours and trying to figure out what she needs to do to crawl.  She moves her knees and her hands and basically just needs to put it all together at this point.  But between rolling and scootching and shoving herself around, she can pretty much get around the whole room, lol.  I expect she'll be crawling here very soon.

My oldest on the other hand would scootch some, but wouldn't roll from back to belly, so we'd have to put her on her belly for tummy time.  At 7 months she started crawling, and 2 days after that she started rolling from back to belly.  Babies do things in their own time :)

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Nope. They naturally learn to do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this
She's 4 months? Enjoy the immobility while it lasts! I MISS being able to set my son down for a minute!

Don't fret. She's still REALLY young for moving around.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:38 PM
I never did anything special, not even tummy time. All my kids learned right on track or early.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)