Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Bottle to sippy cup!

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What age did you start the transition?

Options:

6-8 months

9-11 months

1-1 & 1/2 yr

2 years

more than 2 years

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 57

View Results

Moms I urge you to start sooner! There is no need to wait until your child is more than a year old. It creates dependancy & all I hear about is how hard it is & blah blah blah. My daughter is 6 months old & i have her drinking out of sippy cups. I would say dont start more than a week or so before 6 months. Get the Nuby sippy cup & start with water. If your baby doesn't like that a more expensive Dr. Browns one is specifically designed for starting at 6 months. It is amazing! 

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Replies (21-30):
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Well, there's a big difference between introducing a cup, and replacing a bottle with a cup.   Babies are babies and they do have an actual, physical need to suck.   Taking away their means of meeting those needs too early is cruel, IMO.   

Sippy cups are no better for oral development than a bottle anyway... so, in reality there's no actual need to introduce one... you can just wait until they can drink from a regular cup.  Sippy's are a convenience item.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I started later because 15 years ago a drippless sippy cup did not exist.  I was not going to be forever cleaning up spills.  I think she was probably almost 2 before she got a sippy cup.  She's 15 and feeds herself just fine now.  So I don't think it harmed her at all.

Kaya529
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:36 AM
O started sitting out a sippy with formula at 9 months but he really didn't start using it a lot till I started filling it with a little apple juice and filling it with pineapple infused water. He now prefers the sippy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kaya529
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:37 AM
I started sitting out a sippy with formula at 9 months but he really didn't start using it a lot till I started filling it with a little apple juice and filling it with pineapple infused water. He now prefers the sippy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:34 PM
There was no transition to make. My boys didn't take bottles at all. I gave my youngest a sippy with water to play with at 6 months, but he didn't figure out how to get anything out of it until about 11-12 months. He always nursed on demand and had a sippy of water available if he wanted something else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Odd, my daughter will be 14 on Wednesday and they had tons of spill proof sippy cups on the market back then, I think we owned about 50, lol.

Amazing that a year could make that much difference in what was available!

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

I started later because 15 years ago a drippless sippy cup did not exist.  I was not going to be forever cleaning up spills.  I think she was probably almost 2 before she got a sippy cup.  She's 15 and feeds herself just fine now.  So I don't think it harmed her at all.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:46 PM
I didn't really know how top vote. My kids were/are breastfed. My older 2 got bottles while I worked, but didn't care about them and took a cup just as son as one was offered. They definitely were under 1.
My youngest never took a bottle at all since by then I was a SAHM, but he did gladly drink from a sippy starting at 4 months when I had to be away from him (rare) or if I was driving and he needed it.

Saying don't do it before 6 months is just as silly as saying don't do it until a year.

Do it whenever you want.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SerenityBerry
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM

We just started letting the twins practice with sippy cups, they are 8 months. We put a little water or pedialyte in the cup. 

ash872006
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I haven't started yet and my son will be 4 months on the 4

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I introduced cups around 9 months

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN