Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Bottle to sippy cup!

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What age did you start the transition?

Options:

6-8 months

9-11 months

1-1 & 1/2 yr

2 years

more than 2 years

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 57

View Results

Moms I urge you to start sooner! There is no need to wait until your child is more than a year old. It creates dependancy & all I hear about is how hard it is & blah blah blah. My daughter is 6 months old & i have her drinking out of sippy cups. I would say dont start more than a week or so before 6 months. Get the Nuby sippy cup & start with water. If your baby doesn't like that a more expensive Dr. Browns one is specifically designed for starting at 6 months. It is amazing! 

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Replies (31-38):
sissy852
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM
The last day he got a bottle was his birthday he turned 1 he is 100% on a sippy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tnt1014
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I agree! All of my children (with the exception of my 1st, she was 15 months) were off the bottle before their 1st birthday.

The cup we used for my youngest girls (3 and almost 5) was the NUK cup by Gerber. Only cup they would take. The older 3 (10,13 and 15) we used the soft spout made for the nurser by Playtex that I don't think they make anymore.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
crabtreemommy
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:07 PM

My son at 6 months was done with bottles and wanted a sippy. He refused to eat from a bottle until I got him a sippy. It was the easiest transition ever!!

jridgill
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:21 PM
My kids started playing with a Sippy between 4-6 months.
Amberleigh81
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM
I think about it like food - I start offering after six months, but no pressure. My son only gets bottles with grandma while I am in class, so it's not a big deal. Even she's mostly trasitioned to sippys. I let her do what she wants, though, now that he's over a year and gets cow's milk instead of pumped milk... with my gold aka milk, she followed me to the letter so as not to waste it or mess with my supply! :)
StellarCaterp
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I highly recommend a straw cup such as the one by Lollacup:

http://stellarcaterpillar.com/2012/12/06/baby-gear-best-sippy-cup/

Using a straw uses the mouth in a way that is great for speech development later.  

MrsBridges19
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

My children don't care.  However, I am NOT going to make them do something they are not ready for.  Right now, they only get bottles for bed/naptime.  I'm not going to potty train them or force them off the bottle until they are ready to give it up.

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting StellarCaterp:

I highly recommend a straw cup such as the one by Lollacup:

http://stellarcaterpillar.com/2012/12/06/baby-gear-best-sippy-cup/

Using a straw uses the mouth in a way that is great for speech development later.  

We got the zoli cup for my 7 mo old and she took to it right away.   Could be because she'll suck on anything.. but it always took my boys a few months to figure they out!  The best straw cup they had out last time I had an infant was the nuby one, and I hate that one!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN