Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

4 month old will not sleep more than an hour....EDIT... Edit again :)

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi ladies! I am new to this group and I'm having a bit of a problem. For the first 3 months of my daughters life she was a great sleeper. At night we would put her down with a pacifier and she'd be asleep within a half hour. She slept 8 hours at a time, and after nursing would sleep another 4. We were doing great!

Well, after she turned 3 months she stopped taking the pacifier, so I started nursing her to sleep every night. Probably not the best thing to do, in hindsight. Now she is 4 1/2 months old and will only sleep with me in bed! If I put her down in her crib or bassinett she will sleep for an hour then wake up. This will happen all night until I bring her into my bed. I love snuggling with her, but I want my bed back and I want her to have good sleeping habits.

Does anyone have any tips? I don't want to do CIO. I feel too bad when I try it.

Sorry for any typos! I am mobile and have a baby in my lap :)

Edit:

Thank you everyone who replied kindly. I didn't realize I would create so much drama with this post! My daughter is breastfed but takes a bottle of breastmilk every Monday night when I am not home. I will not be giving her any cereals, so don't worry :) You ladies have convinced me that nursing to sleep is not going to ruin my baby. I am not one for bed sharing, but it seems I may have a lot of it in my future! Thanks to those who reminded me that they are only young once. I will enjoy this time with my girl and give her whatever she needs from me. :) I guess I just needed some encouragement and to know that this is all normal.

Edit 2:

She slept for 5 hours straight tonight! I heard her crying and by the time I got to her she had put herself back to sleep. That has never happened before. Then she did the same thing twice more! I needed that longer stretch of sleep. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Replies (21-30):
mamabens
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:14 AM
7 moms liked this
The only advice I have is to RUN to the breastfeeding group and ask your question there & delete this one & this group. You are more likely to get correct & accurate advice in the breastfeeding group than in here!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:22 AM
5 moms liked this
This is so backwards.... there are no words! This is the best way to end up on formula because of nipple confusion/flow preference

Quoting Pessema:

If you pump it does not hurt your supply if you aren't lazy and do it right. and the sooner you start her on a bottle the easier it will be. 

Quoting MorganTho:

I wouldn't do that she may not even take a bottle and that can harm your supply.

Quoting Pessema:

The only thing to do is when she wakes up start giving her a bottle instead of nursing, then put her right back in her crib. It might take a little bit but soon she will learn that waking up doesnt mean boob time.

stepconfused182
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:23 AM
6 moms liked this

This is completely false information. It is very harmful to a baby to start cereal before 6 months and what in the world is the purpose anyway? To be selfish so YOU can sleep at night? Nothing should be given to this baby except breastmilk and it's completely normal for a 4 month old to wake up several times a night to breastfeed. I'm assuming you formula fed. Breastmilk is perfect and therefore perfectly digested, much quicker than formula that just sits in the gut with the cereal that can't even be digested. A breastfed baby has a much lower risk of SIDS for this reason right here; they wake up frequently in the night to eat. You are the one who needs to do their research. Not the women in here giving good evidence based advice.  

Quoting Pessema:

No they won't. 3-4 months is safe to start infant cereals. I've been through this stage, and pediatricians recommend putting a little rice in a bottle for your child at this age if they aren't sleeping well.

Quoting MorganTho:

No cereals yet, she still has a virgin gut and those will be too hard on her tiny stomach!

Quoting Pessema:

OP? True, thats why when you pump you do it slightly more often than when your child would be eating. I understand your concerns about pumping, i did origionally. My baby is 6 months & i've been pumping since she was 8 weeks old and I still have more than what she needs, plus you should be starting her on infant cereals soon so she won't need as much BM you just pump for 20-25 min about the time that you normally would have breastfed.

Quoting MorganTho:

Baby empties the breast more efficiently and completely than the pump. Do you even know if OP HAS a pump?

Quoting Pessema:

If you pump it does not hurt your supply if you aren't lazy and do it right. and the sooner you start her on a bottle the easier it will be. 

Quoting MorganTho:

I wouldn't do that she may not even take a bottle and that can harm your supply.

Quoting Pessema:

The only thing to do is when she wakes up start giving her a bottle instead of nursing, then put her right back in her crib. It might take a little bit but soon she will learn that waking up doesnt mean boob time.

mamabens
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM
6 moms liked this

She wants help about her child not sleeping NOT to wean. OP if you follow any of this persons advice you WILL end up weaning!  Babies are SUPPOSED to wake up, it's  a SIDS preventative.  PLEASE ignore this horrid horrid advice!!!

Quoting Pessema:

BabyFruit Ticker

Toxic.Stardust
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM
4 moms liked this
My LO is almost seven months and I completely know where you're coming from. I agree with a PP about teething and separation anxiety. Once my DD's two teeth poked through, she started sleeping better, still wakes up every few hours and prefers to sleep in my bed, but it's getting better. I still nurse her to sleep and she'll sleep in her bed roughly half the night. It's just one of those frustrating baby phases lol.
shortyali
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:52 AM
7 moms liked this
Op please ignore any and all advice from Pessema unless you want to wean baby to formula and you want to ruin babies vergin gut and set her up for a life full of possible allergies by introducing food to early.

Babies sleep pattern changes and truly you want a baby that wakes often because it reduces chances of SIDS. To get baby to sleep more than an hour a day try buying a wrap and wearing her. Also nursing to sleep isn't a bad habit. I nursed my DD to sleep until she self weaned at 22 months.

I understand wanting your bed back at night. Try side caring the crib or even putting the crib right up against your bed. It makes life so much easier at night.

As one of the above posters said, questions about a breast fed baby are better off asked in the breastfeeding group. That way you get accurate information that will not harm your breastfeeding relationship.
Hi_Rae
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:01 AM
7 moms liked this
My ds was very similar, he slept great then around 4 months started waking up every couple hours throughout the night. It is completely normal. You could try side carring her crib, or a co sleeper so she can be close to you, and nurse throughout the night but still be in her own seperate area. It is also very common for babies around this age to start teething, if you notice baby is drooling a lot and chewing those are some tell tale signs.

A good bedtime routine helps too, what worked for us is a nice warm bath with nighttime wash and lotion, swaddle (until 6 months then we weaned him from that), a bottle (in your case would be nursing) and a story. I or dh would hold and rock him until he was asleep then put him in his crib.

Please DO NOT listen to any of the advice the pp has given about pumping and giving baby cereal. A breastfeed baby shouldn't have anything but bm until at least 6 months. even then there is absolutely no nutritional value to cereal
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM
4 moms liked this

4 months is the first big sleep regression.   My LO was doing 8 hours by around 2 months and then up constantly at 4 months as well... it got really bad again recently (she's almost 7 mo) and then last night she slept for 5 hours on her own.

They ALL go through various phases that make for more waking and there's not much you can do but get through it.   Co-sleeping has saved my sanity more than once, and even if you don't sleep "well" (that will change, too!), it's better than actually getting up every hour with her. 

Remember, this too shall pass... try all the little tricks (aside from bottlefeeding at night, that's an awful suggestion that will result in LESS sleep all around!), but when it comes down to it, do what you need to do to get enough rest until this phase passes.   And it will... they all do.   Nothing in the infant world is permanent.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
hapababies
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:07 AM
3 moms liked this
It's probably best that she weaned herself off the paci at such a young age. Now you don't have to worry about dental issues and making sure you have a paci all the time. My brothers were paci addicts and I remember the craziness that ensued when it started affecting their teeth or if someone forgot to bring a paci on an outing.
As for bottles, are you going work anytime soon? If you aren't going to work or placing your LO in some kind of daycare, then don't worry about pumping and bottles. I may be biased because I hate pumping. I would rather clean toilets than pump, but I would pump over giving my LO formula or cereal.
I know you want your bed back, but your LO will only be this little for a blink of an eye. Next year she will be a year and 4 months and you are going to wonder where your little baby went. Enjoy the snuggling and bonding, you will get your bed back eventually.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:09 AM
4 moms liked this
Completely inaccurate.

Cereal is NOT ok for a healthy 3-4 month old child!!!!!

Quoting Pessema:

No they won't. 3-4 months is safe to start infant cereals. I've been through this stage, and pediatricians recommend putting a little rice in a bottle for your child at this age if they aren't sleeping well.

Quoting MorganTho:

No cereals yet, she still has a virgin gut and those will be too hard on her tiny stomach!

Quoting Pessema:

OP? True, thats why when you pump you do it slightly more often than when your child would be eating. I understand your concerns about pumping, i did origionally. My baby is 6 months & i've been pumping since she was 8 weeks old and I still have more than what she needs, plus you should be starting her on infant cereals soon so she won't need as much BM you just pump for 20-25 min about the time that you normally would have breastfed.

Quoting MorganTho:

Baby empties the breast more efficiently and completely than the pump. Do you even know if OP HAS a pump?

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN