Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

4 month old will not sleep more than an hour....EDIT... Edit again :)

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi ladies! I am new to this group and I'm having a bit of a problem. For the first 3 months of my daughters life she was a great sleeper. At night we would put her down with a pacifier and she'd be asleep within a half hour. She slept 8 hours at a time, and after nursing would sleep another 4. We were doing great!

Well, after she turned 3 months she stopped taking the pacifier, so I started nursing her to sleep every night. Probably not the best thing to do, in hindsight. Now she is 4 1/2 months old and will only sleep with me in bed! If I put her down in her crib or bassinett she will sleep for an hour then wake up. This will happen all night until I bring her into my bed. I love snuggling with her, but I want my bed back and I want her to have good sleeping habits.

Does anyone have any tips? I don't want to do CIO. I feel too bad when I try it.

Sorry for any typos! I am mobile and have a baby in my lap :)

Edit:

Thank you everyone who replied kindly. I didn't realize I would create so much drama with this post! My daughter is breastfed but takes a bottle of breastmilk every Monday night when I am not home. I will not be giving her any cereals, so don't worry :) You ladies have convinced me that nursing to sleep is not going to ruin my baby. I am not one for bed sharing, but it seems I may have a lot of it in my future! Thanks to those who reminded me that they are only young once. I will enjoy this time with my girl and give her whatever she needs from me. :) I guess I just needed some encouragement and to know that this is all normal.

Edit 2:

She slept for 5 hours straight tonight! I heard her crying and by the time I got to her she had put herself back to sleep. That has never happened before. Then she did the same thing twice more! I needed that longer stretch of sleep. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Replies (31-40):
Eliots_momma
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:14 AM
7 moms liked this
Why does everyoe want a quick fix?

Please don't put cereal in a bottle EVER. You don't need cereal period. What you baby is doing is normal, not really a problem to be fixed. Babies constantly change their sleep schedule.

This whole thread is full of awful advise that is going to sabotage op's breastfeeding relationship.

Quoting Loralismommy224:

Quoting Pessema:

Pediatricians are only required to get 1 HOUR of nutrition in their training/education! Newer evidence proves that cereal is bad for them, especially that young! The only time cereal should be added is in the case of severe AR...NO CEREAL! BF babies have to eat more frequently than ff babies bc the milk absorbs easier & faster. It's normal for a baby that age to have to wake up @ least once a night to nurse. No baby sleeps completely through the night. The baby's digestive system can't break down the cereal at that age, so it just sits in their intestines/gut & rots (which is why it fills them up longer, & not in a good way).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1stpreggers
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:21 AM
4 moms liked this
Op you DO NOT need to start your lo on cereal. That advice is a wives tale. Please do your research on cereal before you decide give it.

Quoting Pessema:

OP? True, thats why when you pump you do it slightly more often than when your child would be eating. I understand your concerns about pumping, i did origionally. My baby is 6 months & i've been pumping since she was 8 weeks old and I still have more than what she needs, plus you should be starting her on infant cereals soon so she won't need as much BM you just pump for 20-25 min about the time that you normally would have breastfed.

Quoting MorganTho:

Baby empties the breast more efficiently and completely than the pump. Do you even know if OP HAS a pump?

Quoting Pessema:

If you pump it does not hurt your supply if you aren't lazy and do it right. and the sooner you start her on a bottle the easier it will be. 

Quoting MorganTho:

I wouldn't do that she may not even take a bottle and that can harm your supply.

Quoting Pessema:

The only thing to do is when she wakes up start giving her a bottle instead of nursing, then put her right back in her crib. It might take a little bit but soon she will learn that waking up doesnt mean boob time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1stpreggers
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM
3 moms liked this
There is no reason to start her on bottle feedings this CAN interfere with your supply and baby's latch. There is no need to start her on a bottle. Breast is just fine!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1stpreggers
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I completely agree! Op should repost in breastfeeding group.

Quoting Eliots_momma:

Why does everyoe want a quick fix?

Please don't put cereal in a bottle EVER. You don't need cereal period. What you baby is doing is normal, not really a problem to be fixed. Babies constantly change their sleep schedule.

This whole thread is full of awful advise that is going to sabotage op's breastfeeding relationship.

Quoting Loralismommy224:

Quoting Pessema:

Pediatricians are only required to get 1 HOUR of nutrition in their training/education! Newer evidence proves that cereal is bad for them, especially that young! The only time cereal should be added is in the case of severe AR...NO CEREAL! BF babies have to eat more frequently than ff babies bc the milk absorbs easier & faster. It's normal for a baby that age to have to wake up @ least once a night to nurse. No baby sleeps completely through the night. The baby's digestive system can't break down the cereal at that age, so it just sits in their intestines/gut & rots (which is why it fills them up longer, & not in a good way).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MorganTho
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this
What PPs said go to breastfeeding group.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pessema
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:02 PM

No, I have never used formula and if you talk to a board certified nutritionist they will tell you it is perfectly safe to start cereal at 4 months. You need to get your facts straigt as well. And dont you dare start saying I'm selfish I'm not the one complaining because I cant get my child to sleep. And assuming things makes a real ass out of people. If you actually read my conversation you would have noticed I mentioned i breastfeed and pump.

Quoting stepconfused182:

This is completely false information. It is very harmful to a baby to start cereal before 6 months and what in the world is the purpose anyway? To be selfish so YOU can sleep at night? Nothing should be given to this baby except breastmilk and it's completely normal for a 4 month old to wake up several times a night to breastfeed. I'm assuming you formula fed. Breastmilk is perfect and therefore perfectly digested, much quicker than formula that just sits in the gut with the cereal that can't even be digested. A breastfed baby has a much lower risk of SIDS for this reason right here; they wake up frequently in the night to eat. You are the one who needs to do their research. Not the women in here giving good evidence based advice.  

Quoting Pessema:

No they won't. 3-4 months is safe to start infant cereals. I've been through this stage, and pediatricians recommend putting a little rice in a bottle for your child at this age if they aren't sleeping well.

Quoting MorganTho:

No cereals yet, she still has a virgin gut and those will be too hard on her tiny stomach!

Quoting Pessema:

OP? True, thats why when you pump you do it slightly more often than when your child would be eating. I understand your concerns about pumping, i did origionally. My baby is 6 months & i've been pumping since she was 8 weeks old and I still have more than what she needs, plus you should be starting her on infant cereals soon so she won't need as much BM you just pump for 20-25 min about the time that you normally would have breastfed.

Quoting MorganTho:

Baby empties the breast more efficiently and completely than the pump. Do you even know if OP HAS a pump?

Quoting Pessema:

If you pump it does not hurt your supply if you aren't lazy and do it right. and the sooner you start her on a bottle the easier it will be. 

Quoting MorganTho:

I wouldn't do that she may not even take a bottle and that can harm your supply.

Quoting Pessema:

The only thing to do is when she wakes up start giving her a bottle instead of nursing, then put her right back in her crib. It might take a little bit but soon she will learn that waking up doesnt mean boob time.

shortyali
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:23 PM
6 moms liked this
This is from kellymom.com and she is an IBCLC.

Cereal is not at all necessary, particularly the baby cereals. Regular (whole grain) oatmeal is more nutritious for your baby. Many doctors recommend iron-fortified rice cereal as baby’s first food because it is less likely to cause an allergic reaction and because most babies sometime after the 6th month require an additional iron source other than mother’s milk. If your baby starts solids around 6 months or later, there is much less chance of allergic reaction to foods. It’s debatable whether healthy breastfed babies need the extra iron (you can get baby’s iron levels checked if you’re worried about this). In addition, infants need lots of protein and cereal has a low protein-calorie ratio (even lower when mixed with water or fruit). Many experts (including LLL) suggest giving meat or other foods naturally rich in iron instead of foods with added iron. For more information on iron, see Is Iron-Supplementation Necessary?

So try again about your board certified nutritionist.

ETA: here's the link to the kellymom website: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/first-foods/
Quoting Pessema:

No, I have never used formula and if you talk to a board certified nutritionist they will tell you it is perfectly safe to start cereal at 4 months. You need to get your facts straigt as well. And dont you dare start saying I'm selfish I'm not the one complaining because I cant get my child to sleep. And assuming things makes a real ass out of people. If you actually read my conversation you would have noticed I mentioned i breastfeed and pump.

Quoting stepconfused182:

This is completely false information. It is very harmful to a baby to start cereal before 6 months and what in the world is the purpose anyway? To be selfish so YOU can sleep at night? Nothing should be given to this baby except breastmilk and it's completely normal for a 4 month old to wake up several times a night to breastfeed. I'm assuming you formula fed. Breastmilk is perfect and therefore perfectly digested, much quicker than formula that just sits in the gut with the cereal that can't even be digested. A breastfed baby has a much lower risk of SIDS for this reason right here; they wake up frequently in the night to eat. You are the one who needs to do their research. Not the women in here giving good evidence based advice.  

Quoting Pessema:

No they won't. 3-4 months is safe to start infant cereals. I've been through this stage, and pediatricians recommend putting a little rice in a bottle for your child at this age if they aren't sleeping well.

Quoting MorganTho:

No cereals yet, she still has a virgin gut and those will be too hard on her tiny stomach!

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Loralismommy224
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Quoting kayleyrae90:

I understand that. Try doing like other posters have rec & wearing her in a sling throughout the day due to her new separation anxiety. My post was mainly geared toward Pessema trying to state my point to HER & to set her statement straight so you wouldn't be misinformed with inaccurate & out of date info. Sorry, I know you're frustrated but it does get better...hang in there mama ((hugs))!
stepconfused182
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:42 PM
6 moms liked this

What in the world is a board certified nutritionist?? I practiced as a Registered Dietitian for 3 years before I went back to school to become an MD. There is no such thing as a board certified nutritionist because if you complete your bachelors of science degree, as well as an approved didactic internship program and THEN take the national registration exam, you are called a Registered Dietitian and no RD would allow herself to be called a nutritionist. Trust me. It IS selfish to give a child cereal to make them sleep. It's completely void of nutrition and only benefits the parents who are able to sleep through the night again. My advice to you is to stay off advice forums and go back to school.

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting stepconfused182:

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

aehanrahan
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:43 PM
3 moms liked this
As most of the replies have stated, this sleep pattern change is completely normal. Infant sleep patterns change due to growth spurts, teething, new milestones, separation anxiety, and many other things. She is at an age for more than one of these things to hit all at once making things seem hopeless. It will NOT last forever. The easiest way to get through this kind of stage is to have your baby sleep as close to you as possible. If having her in your bed isn't an option, consider a crib side car. Put the crib right next to your bed so she's right there but still in her own space. She might even sleep a bit longer being closer to you. The security of mom being right there goes a long way. My second was a constant night nurser for a very long time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)