Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

4 month old will not sleep more than an hour....EDIT... Edit again :)

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi ladies! I am new to this group and I'm having a bit of a problem. For the first 3 months of my daughters life she was a great sleeper. At night we would put her down with a pacifier and she'd be asleep within a half hour. She slept 8 hours at a time, and after nursing would sleep another 4. We were doing great!

Well, after she turned 3 months she stopped taking the pacifier, so I started nursing her to sleep every night. Probably not the best thing to do, in hindsight. Now she is 4 1/2 months old and will only sleep with me in bed! If I put her down in her crib or bassinett she will sleep for an hour then wake up. This will happen all night until I bring her into my bed. I love snuggling with her, but I want my bed back and I want her to have good sleeping habits.

Does anyone have any tips? I don't want to do CIO. I feel too bad when I try it.

Sorry for any typos! I am mobile and have a baby in my lap :)

Edit:

Thank you everyone who replied kindly. I didn't realize I would create so much drama with this post! My daughter is breastfed but takes a bottle of breastmilk every Monday night when I am not home. I will not be giving her any cereals, so don't worry :) You ladies have convinced me that nursing to sleep is not going to ruin my baby. I am not one for bed sharing, but it seems I may have a lot of it in my future! Thanks to those who reminded me that they are only young once. I will enjoy this time with my girl and give her whatever she needs from me. :) I guess I just needed some encouragement and to know that this is all normal.

Edit 2:

She slept for 5 hours straight tonight! I heard her crying and by the time I got to her she had put herself back to sleep. That has never happened before. Then she did the same thing twice more! I needed that longer stretch of sleep. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Replies (41-50):
tabi_cat1023
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:48 PM
6 moms liked this
Where in the world are you getting your info? Its all incorrect and can lead to mom having serious issues BFing.

Quoting Pessema:

OP? True, thats why when you pump you do it slightly more often than when your child would be eating. I understand your concerns about pumping, i did origionally. My baby is 6 months & i've been pumping since she was 8 weeks old and I still have more than what she needs, plus you should be starting her on infant cereals soon so she won't need as much BM you just pump for 20-25 min about the time that you normally would have breastfed.

Quoting MorganTho:

Baby empties the breast more efficiently and completely than the pump. Do you even know if OP HAS a pump?

Quoting Pessema:

If you pump it does not hurt your supply if you aren't lazy and do it right. and the sooner you start her on a bottle the easier it will be. 

Quoting MorganTho:

I wouldn't do that she may not even take a bottle and that can harm your supply.

Quoting Pessema:

The only thing to do is when she wakes up start giving her a bottle instead of nursing, then put her right back in her crib. It might take a little bit but soon she will learn that waking up doesnt mean boob time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:49 PM
7 moms liked this
NOT true!! AAP and WHO say 6 months for solids and they dont recommend any cereal for BF babies as it ruins how iron is absorbed. And even the box of cereal says NOT to put in bottles. Cereal is carbs, carbs is sugar, sugar doesnt = sleep

Quoting Pessema:

No they won't. 3-4 months is safe to start infant cereals. I've been through this stage, and pediatricians recommend putting a little rice in a bottle for your child at this age if they aren't sleeping well.

Quoting MorganTho:

No cereals yet, she still has a virgin gut and those will be too hard on her tiny stomach!

Quoting Pessema:

OP? True, thats why when you pump you do it slightly more often than when your child would be eating. I understand your concerns about pumping, i did origionally. My baby is 6 months & i've been pumping since she was 8 weeks old and I still have more than what she needs, plus you should be starting her on infant cereals soon so she won't need as much BM you just pump for 20-25 min about the time that you normally would have breastfed.

Quoting MorganTho:

Baby empties the breast more efficiently and completely than the pump. Do you even know if OP HAS a pump?

Quoting Pessema:

If you pump it does not hurt your supply if you aren't lazy and do it right. and the sooner you start her on a bottle the easier it will be. 

Quoting MorganTho:

I wouldn't do that she may not even take a bottle and that can harm your supply.

Quoting Pessema:

The only thing to do is when she wakes up start giving her a bottle instead of nursing, then put her right back in her crib. It might take a little bit but soon she will learn that waking up doesnt mean boob time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 1:59 PM
6 moms liked this
Lol, you beat me to that one! A "board certified nutritionist", lmao! I place a lot of money in the fact that she's never talked to any nutritionist. Maybe a WIC employee though!

Quoting stepconfused182:

What in the world is a board certified nutritionist?? I practiced as a Registered Dietitian for 3 years before I went back to school to become an MD. There is no such thing as a board certified nutritionist because if you complete your bachelors of science degree, as well as an approved didactic internship program and THEN take the national registration exam, you are called a Registered Dietitian and no RD would allow herself to be called a nutritionist. Trust me. It IS selfish to give a child cereal to make them sleep. It's completely void of nutrition and only benefits the parents who are able to sleep through the night again. My advice to you is to stay off advice forums and go back to school.

Quoting Pessema:

No, I have never used formula and if you talk to a board certified nutritionist they will tell you it is perfectly safe to start cereal at 4 months. You need to get your facts straigt as well. And dont you dare start saying I'm selfish I'm not the one complaining because I cant get my child to sleep. And assuming things makes a real ass out of people. If you actually read my conversation you would have noticed I mentioned i breastfeed and pump.

Quoting stepconfused182:

This is completely false information. It is very harmful to a baby to start cereal before 6 months and what in the world is the purpose anyway? To be selfish so YOU can sleep at night? Nothing should be given to this baby except breastmilk and it's completely normal for a 4 month old to wake up several times a night to breastfeed. I'm assuming you formula fed. Breastmilk is perfect and therefore perfectly digested, much quicker than formula that just sits in the gut with the cereal that can't even be digested. A breastfed baby has a much lower risk of SIDS for this reason right here; they wake up frequently in the night to eat. You are the one who needs to do their research. Not the women in here giving good evidence based advice.  

Quoting Pessema:

No they won't. 3-4 months is safe to start infant cereals. I've been through this stage, and pediatricians recommend putting a little rice in a bottle for your child at this age if they aren't sleeping well.

Quoting MorganTho:

No cereals yet, she still has a virgin gut and those will be too hard on her tiny stomach!

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:33 PM

What's funny is that right when I finished with my dietetic program and was waiting to sit for my registration exam, I worked at WIC for 6 months as a "Nutritionist II". I was appalled at some of the things I heard the other nutritionists telling the participants and vowed to never let anyone ever call me a nutritionist. Their requirements are a bachelors degree and TWELVE hours of nutrition education. And then they can throw out any nutrition advice they please. Unbelievable.

Quoting larissalarie:

Lol, you beat me to that one! A "board certified nutritionist", lmao! I place a lot of money in the fact that she's never talked to any nutritionist. Maybe a WIC employee though!

Quoting stepconfused182:

What in the world is a board certified nutritionist?? I practiced as a Registered Dietitian for 3 years before I went back to school to become an MD. There is no such thing as a board certified nutritionist because if you complete your bachelors of science degree, as well as an approved didactic internship program and THEN take the national registration exam, you are called a Registered Dietitian and no RD would allow herself to be called a nutritionist. Trust me. It IS selfish to give a child cereal to make them sleep. It's completely void of nutrition and only benefits the parents who are able to sleep through the night again. My advice to you is to stay off advice forums and go back to school.

Quoting Pessema:

No, I have never used formula and if you talk to a board certified nutritionist they will tell you it is perfectly safe to start cereal at 4 months. You need to get your facts straigt as well. And dont you dare start saying I'm selfish I'm not the one complaining because I cant get my child to sleep. And assuming things makes a real ass out of people. If you actually read my conversation you would have noticed I mentioned i breastfeed and pump.

Quoting stepconfused182:

This is completely false information. It is very harmful to a baby to start cereal before 6 months and what in the world is the purpose anyway? To be selfish so YOU can sleep at night? Nothing should be given to this baby except breastmilk and it's completely normal for a 4 month old to wake up several times a night to breastfeed. I'm assuming you formula fed. Breastmilk is perfect and therefore perfectly digested, much quicker than formula that just sits in the gut with the cereal that can't even be digested. A breastfed baby has a much lower risk of SIDS for this reason right here; they wake up frequently in the night to eat. You are the one who needs to do their research. Not the women in here giving good evidence based advice.  

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this
That's so wrong. And so many people think what they say is gospel :-\

Quoting stepconfused182:

What's funny is that right when I finished with my dietetic program and was waiting to sit for my registration exam, I worked at WIC for 6 months as a "Nutritionist II". I was appalled at some of the things I heard the other nutritionists telling the participants and vowed to never let anyone ever call me a nutritionist. Their requirements are a bachelors degree and TWELVE hours of nutrition education. And then they can throw out any nutrition advice they please. Unbelievable.

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting stepconfused182:

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting stepconfused182:

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kayleyrae90
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:11 PM
2 moms liked this
Wait a second, are you saying I'm selfish because I'm complaining about not getting my child to sleep? This is my first baby, I didn't know it was normal for her to wake up every hour and needed some advice. It is difficult for me to function in this amount of sleep but god knows I will do what I need to for my baby girl.

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting stepconfused182:

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

mamoore83
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Why does teaching baby it's bottle time is ok? 

Quoting Pessema:

MommyO2-6631
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this
No. They are saying it is selfish for someone to put cereal in a bottle for the purposes of gaining more sleep. This does nothing for baby. Only for mom and dad. And could be harmful to baby's digestestive system. I advise again... please go to the breastfeeding group and post. There are actual breastfeeding counselors and internationally board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) that can help you with these problems, tell you what will and will not hurt your breastfeeding relationship/supply, and what can/cannot hurt your infant.

Quoting kayleyrae90:

Wait a second, are you saying I'm selfish because I'm complaining about not getting my child to sleep? This is my first baby, I didn't know it was normal for her to wake up every hour and needed some advice. It is difficult for me to function in this amount of sleep but god knows I will do what I need to for my baby girl.

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting stepconfused182:

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

BrittSam2011
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:12 PM

My first son wouldn't breastfeed (hospital nurse's fault) so I pumped for the full 9 months. Pain in the a** but worth it to get him the stuff he needs. Try putting your baby in a crib or bassinet by the bed and when she starts crying, put your hand on her belly and pat rhythmically so she falls back to sleep. So she knows your nearby.

victoriangavin
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:27 PM
The night time bottle is hard to break but sometimes they break it on their own. To fix the problem your having now because I recently went through the same thing with ds I gave him his night bottle and laid him in his crib asleep. If he woke up I kept trying but gave myself a 3 hour limit, if after three hours he was still up and probably fussy by then he slept with me. Did this every night till it worked well and now he gives me no problems. He would sleep in the crib until he woke up to feed then spend the last few hours in my bed

Quoting kayleyrae90:

Well she has had a bottle several times because I have mama time every Monday evening. My husband feeds her and puts her to bed while I'm gone.

I don't sleep very well with her in the bed, and I just don't want her to get too used to it. I love snuggling with her in the mornings though!

Quoting Marimaru:

If you want to continue nursing, I don't recommend the bottle route.  It's as likely as anything that your baby may come to prefer the bottle.  Or she may reject the bottle altogether.  If she accepts the bottle, you will have the fight of removing the night time bottle later.

For me, at that young, I see nothing wrong with her being in your bed if you don't mind.  My baby slept with us most nights until recently, she is nearly 6 months old.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)