Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

4 month old will not sleep more than an hour....EDIT... Edit again :)

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi ladies! I am new to this group and I'm having a bit of a problem. For the first 3 months of my daughters life she was a great sleeper. At night we would put her down with a pacifier and she'd be asleep within a half hour. She slept 8 hours at a time, and after nursing would sleep another 4. We were doing great!

Well, after she turned 3 months she stopped taking the pacifier, so I started nursing her to sleep every night. Probably not the best thing to do, in hindsight. Now she is 4 1/2 months old and will only sleep with me in bed! If I put her down in her crib or bassinett she will sleep for an hour then wake up. This will happen all night until I bring her into my bed. I love snuggling with her, but I want my bed back and I want her to have good sleeping habits.

Does anyone have any tips? I don't want to do CIO. I feel too bad when I try it.

Sorry for any typos! I am mobile and have a baby in my lap :)

Edit:

Thank you everyone who replied kindly. I didn't realize I would create so much drama with this post! My daughter is breastfed but takes a bottle of breastmilk every Monday night when I am not home. I will not be giving her any cereals, so don't worry :) You ladies have convinced me that nursing to sleep is not going to ruin my baby. I am not one for bed sharing, but it seems I may have a lot of it in my future! Thanks to those who reminded me that they are only young once. I will enjoy this time with my girl and give her whatever she needs from me. :) I guess I just needed some encouragement and to know that this is all normal.

Edit 2:

She slept for 5 hours straight tonight! I heard her crying and by the time I got to her she had put herself back to sleep. That has never happened before. Then she did the same thing twice more! I needed that longer stretch of sleep. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Replies (51-60):
mamabens
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:11 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm still trying to figure out  how that will get mom more sleep. Instead of  what I did(have the crib side carred & jsut roll over & pop the boob in his mouth & go back to sleep) she would have to get up, boil water, mix it with the powdered formula, let it cool, while having a  screaming hungry baby &then feed baby.(and yes for those who will say otherwise, that is how you have to PROPERLY fix powdered formula to kill the bacteria & bugs in it) I think my way gets me MUCH more sleep!

Quoting mamoore83:

Why does teaching baby it's bottle time is ok? 

Quoting Pessema:

The only thing to do is when she wakes up start giving her a bottle instead of nursing, then put her right back in her crib. It might take a little bit but soon she will learn that waking up doesnt mean boob time.

BabyFruit Ticker

melindabelcher
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:17 PM
4 moms liked this
((HUGS))
I know how challenging a poor sleeper can be :/ (dd was up every 30-90min for several months)
Sleep is so unique to each baby just like its unique to adults. (i'm a 7p-6a kind of girl, dh is a 12a-9a kind of guy) DS was sleeping 12hrs a night from 8 weeks on DD1 was up 2 times a night until 12mo then 1 time a night until 18mo. DD2 is up 5ish times a night at 10mo.
4mo-ish can be a common time for sleep regression. They are starting to meet so many new milestones are just getting over a growth spurt and likely starting teething, and seperation anxiety! What a doosey :)
If nursing to sleep doesn't work for you then take her off as she falls asleep and lay her in her bed. You can do this every time she wakes through the night, or only the first time she wakes and as she sleeps longer your gaps will get bigger. You can also trying to side car her crib like other have suggested. This way she has her own space as do you.
I personally nurse to sleep lay her in her crib and then bring her to bed the first time she wakes up. Some nights thats 30min later others thats 3 hrs later.
If the current set up is working for you, i would encourage you to continue it. There is nothing wrong with baby sleeping with mommy or nursing to sleep. After all you were her constant source of nutrition and comfort for 9mo :)
As already addressed I don't know what the difference of nursing to sleep or using a bottle to sleep as far as the baby goes. She'd still be waking to eat. The only difference is now you'd have to also prepare a bottle, bottle feed and pump. That sounds like ALOT more work but if you think it would be helpful theres not harm in trying. As for the cereal i personally feel its not only unnecessary but also potentially harmful to a BF baby so it's something we no longer use in our home (used it with my 2 previous, fairly healthy children, but i always feel theres something to be learned and improve upon)however i would encourage you to research and do what you believe to be best for your family. If you do use it i would NEVER advise you to put it in a bottle. The same goes for solids before 6 months.
I hope you find a method that works for you!! And kuddos for seeking help and advice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamoore83
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:52 PM

My baby is 7months and I'm having the same problem so I have no really solution for you, just to say I know what you are going through.  Nursing to sleep is not a bad thing it's good for baby to be close to mommy and might make her more feel more secure.  Personally I'm going to try to sidecar the crib because every attempt to put her to sleep in her crib on a good day she will only stay in there 1.5hours and then trying to put her back to sleep can last over 2 hours (NOT crying it out).  I think side car will give me my space back but I'll still be near her enough that she will sleep also. 

mamoore83
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:04 PM
3 moms liked this

Yes seems like more work and why is that is better what's the difference between nursing to sleep and bottle to sleep?  Other than what the baby will be eating.   

Quoting mamabens:

I'm still trying to figure out  how that will get mom more sleep. Instead of  what I did(have the crib side carred & jsut roll over & pop the boob in his mouth & go back to sleep) she would have to get up, boil water, mix it with the powdered formula, let it cool, while having a  screaming hungry baby &then feed baby.(and yes for those who will say otherwise, that is how you have to PROPERLY fix powdered formula to kill the bacteria & bugs in it) I think my way gets me MUCH more sleep!

Quoting mamoore83:

Why does teaching baby it's bottle time is ok? 

Quoting Pessema:

The only thing to do is when she wakes up start giving her a bottle instead of nursing, then put her right back in her crib. It might take a little bit but soon she will learn that waking up doesnt mean boob time.

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Quoting Pessema:

CHOKING HAZARD!

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

kayleyrae90
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:22 PM
2 moms liked this
Thank you, it's good to know this happens to other people. It wa just such an abrupt change I didn't know if there was something going on that I should know about! You're reply was very helpful. :)

Quoting melindabelcher:

((HUGS))

I know how challenging a poor sleeper can be :/ (dd was up every 30-90min for several months)

Sleep is so unique to each baby just like its unique to adults. (i'm a 7p-6a kind of girl, dh is a 12a-9a kind of guy) DS was sleeping 12hrs a night from 8 weeks on DD1 was up 2 times a night until 12mo then 1 time a night until 18mo. DD2 is up 5ish times a night at 10mo.

4mo-ish can be a common time for sleep regression. They are starting to meet so many new milestones are just getting over a growth spurt and likely starting teething, and seperation anxiety! What a doosey :)

If nursing to sleep doesn't work for you then take her off as she falls asleep and lay her in her bed. You can do this every time she wakes through the night, or only the first time she wakes and as she sleeps longer your gaps will get bigger. You can also trying to side car her crib like other have suggested. This way she has her own space as do you.

I personally nurse to sleep lay her in her crib and then bring her to bed the first time she wakes up. Some nights thats 30min later others thats 3 hrs later.

If the current set up is working for you, i would encourage you to continue it. There is nothing wrong with baby sleeping with mommy or nursing to sleep. After all you were her constant source of nutrition and comfort for 9mo :)

As already addressed I don't know what the difference of nursing to sleep or using a bottle to sleep as far as the baby goes. She'd still be waking to eat. The only difference is now you'd have to also prepare a bottle, bottle feed and pump. That sounds like ALOT more work but if you think it would be helpful theres not harm in trying. As for the cereal i personally feel its not only unnecessary but also potentially harmful to a BF baby so it's something we no longer use in our home (used it with my 2 previous, fairly healthy children, but i always feel theres something to be learned and improve upon)however i would encourage you to research and do what you believe to be best for your family. If you do use it i would NEVER advise you to put it in a bottle. The same goes for solids before 6 months.

I hope you find a method that works for you!! And kuddos for seeking help and advice.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Have you joined the breastfeeding group?  Those ladies are awesome.  Both of my kids were/are EBF and both slept in their own beds.  ALL kids are different and need different things at different points in their lives.  Our daughter slept thru the night before 2mos and has always been a great sleeper!  She cut out her naps before 18mos tho.  Now, our son just turned 6mos and still wakes up 2x a night if not every 2hrs (no I do not co-sleep and I go to his room to feed).  He refuses to nap during the day and when/if he naps its 30min here and there.  Its CRAZY!!!  

Anyway.....sounds like your lil one is just going thru a growth spurt.  Once your milk levels out she will go back to sleeping well.  Do not be fooled that giving solids will help b/c it won't.  It can constipate a baby, make them gassy, or even upset their poor tummies.  Trust me.....been there and tried that!  :/  

Hang in there.  If you don't want to co-sleep then go back to getting up and rocking/feeding her to sleep.  Keep offering a paci if needed tho.  Maybe try a different brand?  It will get better!  Congrats on your lil one!!!

RetiredUSAFWife
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Well the only way you'll fix it is to let her know that you're in charge. It will only last a few days. My children slept through the night at a very early age. They were well fed and they were happy children. So it's your choice, You should be in charge not your child. Feed her before she cries for her food, and make sure she drinks at least four or five ounces or more at each feeding. At that age, she should probably be drinking a full bottle of formula three to four times a day, along with solid foods like fruit & veggies etc.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Oh my, that does sound frustrating...((Hugs))

mommaoftwo
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:25 PM

This is awful advice

first of all, there is absolutely no reason baby should ever NEED a bottle, aside from medical reasons or mom having to go somewhere without baby.

The baby should NOT be starting cereals soon, she is only 4 months old, Drs say at least 6 months, and it is a bad idea to start with cereals, start with veggies. Or let baby decide when they are ready for food and skip purees altogether.

Even if you do start a baby on purees, breastmilk or formula should be the MAIN source of calories until at least one year.

pumping can be detrimental to your supply, even if you do it steadily, some women just cannot deal with a pump.

Quoting Pessema:

OP? True, thats why when you pump you do it slightly more often than when your child would be eating. I understand your concerns about pumping, i did origionally. My baby is 6 months & i've been pumping since she was 8 weeks old and I still have more than what she needs, plus you should be starting her on infant cereals soon so she won't need as much BM you just pump for 20-25 min about the time that you normally would have breastfed.

Quoting MorganTho:

Baby empties the breast more efficiently and completely than the pump. Do you even know if OP HAS a pump?

Quoting Pessema:

If you pump it does not hurt your supply if you aren't lazy and do it right. and the sooner you start her on a bottle the easier it will be. 

Quoting MorganTho:

I wouldn't do that she may not even take a bottle and that can harm your supply.

Quoting Pessema:

Mommy of FIVE!!!

Tara~12.16.03  Zachary~5.17.05  Rowan~1.17.09  Willow~8/10/11 Baby~ EDA 1/27/13

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)