Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

4 month old will not sleep more than an hour....EDIT... Edit again :)

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi ladies! I am new to this group and I'm having a bit of a problem. For the first 3 months of my daughters life she was a great sleeper. At night we would put her down with a pacifier and she'd be asleep within a half hour. She slept 8 hours at a time, and after nursing would sleep another 4. We were doing great!

Well, after she turned 3 months she stopped taking the pacifier, so I started nursing her to sleep every night. Probably not the best thing to do, in hindsight. Now she is 4 1/2 months old and will only sleep with me in bed! If I put her down in her crib or bassinett she will sleep for an hour then wake up. This will happen all night until I bring her into my bed. I love snuggling with her, but I want my bed back and I want her to have good sleeping habits.

Does anyone have any tips? I don't want to do CIO. I feel too bad when I try it.

Sorry for any typos! I am mobile and have a baby in my lap :)

Edit:

Thank you everyone who replied kindly. I didn't realize I would create so much drama with this post! My daughter is breastfed but takes a bottle of breastmilk every Monday night when I am not home. I will not be giving her any cereals, so don't worry :) You ladies have convinced me that nursing to sleep is not going to ruin my baby. I am not one for bed sharing, but it seems I may have a lot of it in my future! Thanks to those who reminded me that they are only young once. I will enjoy this time with my girl and give her whatever she needs from me. :) I guess I just needed some encouragement and to know that this is all normal.

Edit 2:

She slept for 5 hours straight tonight! I heard her crying and by the time I got to her she had put herself back to sleep. That has never happened before. Then she did the same thing twice more! I needed that longer stretch of sleep. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Replies (61-70):
BennyBaby09
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:26 PM
4 moms liked this
Your kidding right? She is breast fed. Never more than 3oz at a time and 4 months is WAY WAY to young for solids!! Might want to brush up on current recommendations before offering you bad and dangerous advice!

Quoting RetiredUSAFWife:

Well the only way you'll fix it is to let her know that you're in charge. It will only last a few days. My children slept through the night at a very early age. They were well fed and they were happy children. So it's your choice, You should be in charge not your child. Feed her before she cries for her food, and make sure she drinks at least four or five ounces or more at each feeding. At that age, she should probably be drinking a full bottle of formula three to four times a day, along with solid foods like fruit & veggies etc.

MyGirlsAbbyLiz
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:27 PM

shes probably dependant on you to fall asleep now.

mamoore83
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this
It sounds like the baby is only 4.5 months and breast fed

Quoting RetiredUSAFWife:

Well the only way you'll fix it is to let her know that you're in charge. It will only last a few days. My children slept through the night at a very early age. They were well fed and they were happy children. So it's your choice, You should be in charge not your child. Feed her before she cries for her food, and make sure she drinks at least four or five ounces or more at each feeding. At that age, she should probably be drinking a full bottle of formula three to four times a day, along with solid foods like fruit & veggies etc.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:31 PM
4 moms liked this
Wow, more terrible advice OP!

Quoting RetiredUSAFWife:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:32 PM
7 moms liked this
#1. Baby is breastfed.
#2. 4 month olds are NOT capable of "knowing who's in charge".
#3. A breastfed baby should never have a bottle larger than 3oz.
#4 . Solids should not be introduced until atleast 6 months old.

I can't get over how much misinformation is being thrown at this poor mother!! Sorry OP. :/

Quoting RetiredUSAFWife:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BennyBaby09
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:32 PM
3 moms liked this
I have to say OP you have gotten some TERRIBLE advice on this thread. Do as many other pp's have advised and go to the breast feeding group, where you WILL get good advice to continue your breast feeding relationship.
MorganTho
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this
She's breastfed exclusively still I believe.

Quoting RetiredUSAFWife:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:38 PM
4 moms liked this
And that's a bad thing?
Being dependent on a breast to fall asleep is no different than being dependent on a pacifier or bottle.
ETA: I correct myself, it is different, one has a human connection and the other is just plastic

Quoting MyGirlsAbbyLiz:

shes probably dependant on you to fall asleep now.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MalakbelLacuna
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:49 PM
2 moms liked this
she is a baby. it does mean boob time to her. there is no reason for her to think otherwise
in order to maintain supply and a good nursing relationship, nursing on demand is necessary for the first year

Quoting Pessema:

The only thing to do is when she wakes up start giving her a bottle instead of nursing, then put her right back in her crib. It might take a little bit but soon she will learn that waking up doesnt mean boob time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MalakbelLacuna
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:49 PM
2 moms liked this
four to five ounces at each feeding?!
babies stomachs are the size of their fists!!

Quoting MorganTho:

She's breastfed exclusively still I believe.

Quoting RetiredUSAFWife:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)