Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

4 month old will not sleep more than an hour....EDIT... Edit again :)

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi ladies! I am new to this group and I'm having a bit of a problem. For the first 3 months of my daughters life she was a great sleeper. At night we would put her down with a pacifier and she'd be asleep within a half hour. She slept 8 hours at a time, and after nursing would sleep another 4. We were doing great!

Well, after she turned 3 months she stopped taking the pacifier, so I started nursing her to sleep every night. Probably not the best thing to do, in hindsight. Now she is 4 1/2 months old and will only sleep with me in bed! If I put her down in her crib or bassinett she will sleep for an hour then wake up. This will happen all night until I bring her into my bed. I love snuggling with her, but I want my bed back and I want her to have good sleeping habits.

Does anyone have any tips? I don't want to do CIO. I feel too bad when I try it.

Sorry for any typos! I am mobile and have a baby in my lap :)

Edit:

Thank you everyone who replied kindly. I didn't realize I would create so much drama with this post! My daughter is breastfed but takes a bottle of breastmilk every Monday night when I am not home. I will not be giving her any cereals, so don't worry :) You ladies have convinced me that nursing to sleep is not going to ruin my baby. I am not one for bed sharing, but it seems I may have a lot of it in my future! Thanks to those who reminded me that they are only young once. I will enjoy this time with my girl and give her whatever she needs from me. :) I guess I just needed some encouragement and to know that this is all normal.

Edit 2:

She slept for 5 hours straight tonight! I heard her crying and by the time I got to her she had put herself back to sleep. That has never happened before. Then she did the same thing twice more! I needed that longer stretch of sleep. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Replies (71-80):
MalakbelLacuna
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:50 PM
3 moms liked this
there is absolutely nothing wrong with this either. shes a BABY

Quoting MyGirlsAbbyLiz:

shes probably dependant on you to fall asleep now.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MalakbelLacuna
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:51 PM
2 moms liked this
why does baby even need a bottle. maybe mom is a sahm. if so- no need for bottles. and after four months, baby can just drink out of an open cup when she eats- no need for a bottle. they can be skipped altogether

Quoting Pessema:

If you pump it does not hurt your supply if you aren't lazy and do it right. and the sooner you start her on a bottle the easier it will be. 

Quoting MorganTho:

I wouldn't do that she may not even take a bottle and that can harm your supply.

Quoting Pessema:

The only thing to do is when she wakes up start giving her a bottle instead of nursing, then put her right back in her crib. It might take a little bit but soon she will learn that waking up doesnt mean boob time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MalakbelLacuna
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:52 PM
3 moms liked this
babies should not have solids until 6 months
and no she does not need less breastmilk. breastfed babies can survive very well on breast milk alone for the whole first year!

Quoting Pessema:

OP? True, thats why when you pump you do it slightly more often than when your child would be eating. I understand your concerns about pumping, i did origionally. My baby is 6 months & i've been pumping since she was 8 weeks old and I still have more than what she needs, plus you should be starting her on infant cereals soon so she won't need as much BM you just pump for 20-25 min about the time that you normally would have breastfed.

Quoting MorganTho:

Baby empties the breast more efficiently and completely than the pump. Do you even know if OP HAS a pump?

Quoting Pessema:

If you pump it does not hurt your supply if you aren't lazy and do it right. and the sooner you start her on a bottle the easier it will be. 

Quoting MorganTho:

I wouldn't do that she may not even take a bottle and that can harm your supply.

Quoting Pessema:

The only thing to do is when she wakes up start giving her a bottle instead of nursing, then put her right back in her crib. It might take a little bit but soon she will learn that waking up doesnt mean boob time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Devious333
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:53 PM
3 moms liked this
Yes! That group is wonderful, every BFing mother should be in it. They have helped me a lot, I have learned so much from that group!

Quoting BennyBaby09:

I have to say OP you have gotten some TERRIBLE advice on this thread. Do as many other pp's have advised and go to the breast feeding group, where you WILL get good advice to continue your breast feeding relationship.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MalakbelLacuna
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:53 PM
4 moms liked this
pediatricians more often than not know NOTHING about nutrition and breastfeeding.

Quoting Pessema:

No they won't. 3-4 months is safe to start infant cereals. I've been through this stage, and pediatricians recommend putting a little rice in a bottle for your child at this age if they aren't sleeping well.

Quoting MorganTho:

No cereals yet, she still has a virgin gut and those will be too hard on her tiny stomach!

Quoting Pessema:

OP? True, thats why when you pump you do it slightly more often than when your child would be eating. I understand your concerns about pumping, i did origionally. My baby is 6 months & i've been pumping since she was 8 weeks old and I still have more than what she needs, plus you should be starting her on infant cereals soon so she won't need as much BM you just pump for 20-25 min about the time that you normally would have breastfed.

Quoting MorganTho:

Baby empties the breast more efficiently and completely than the pump. Do you even know if OP HAS a pump?

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MalakbelLacuna
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this
she hasn't done her research?
interesting

Quoting Pessema:

Think whatever you want. You clearly haven't done enough research. 

Quoting Loralismommy224:

Quoting Pessema:

Pediatricians are only required to get 1 HOUR of nutrition in their training/education! Newer evidence proves that cereal is bad for them, especially that young! The only time cereal should be added is in the case of severe AR...NO CEREAL! BF babies have to eat more frequently than ff babies bc the milk absorbs easier & faster. It's normal for a baby that age to have to wake up @ least once a night to nurse. No baby sleeps completely through the night. The baby's digestive system can't break down the cereal at that age, so it just sits in their intestines/gut & rots (which is why it fills them up longer, & not in a good way).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Devious333
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope, they don't. Dd's pedi was lecturing me at her 9 month appt about how I need to be feeding her meat. I told him that she breastfeeds and doesn't "need" it. Also, that rice cereal stuff isn't good for babies at all.
Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

pediatricians more often than not know NOTHING about nutrition and breastfeeding.

Quoting Pessema:

No they won't. 3-4 months is safe to start infant cereals. I've been through this stage, and pediatricians recommend putting a little rice in a bottle for your child at this age if they aren't sleeping well.

Quoting MorganTho:

No cereals yet, she still has a virgin gut and those will be too hard on her tiny stomach!

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifeforchrist
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this

This is the worst advice ever. Ignore this person. If you follow this advice you will possibly detsroy baby's gut and ruin your supply.

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope, your pedi is giving out outdated information.  The new guidelines are no earlier then 6 months for any solids.  Giving solids too early can cause allergies, serrious digestive issues, and all sorts of other medical problems both now and later in your child's life.  It also wont help baby sleep any longer at night, it would most likely give baby a belly ache and lead to more waking at night.

Here is a link to an article posted on the American Acadamy of Pediatrics website:

http://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap/aap-press-room/pages/Introduction-of-Solid-Foods-and-Allergic-Reactions.aspx?nfstatus=401&nftoken=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&nfstatusdescription=ERROR%3a+No+local+token

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

Quoting MorganTho:

Quoting Pessema:

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:19 PM

It is very common for babies to have some sleep regression at 4 months.  It's a huge growth spurt, many babies begin teething at this age, and it's the beginning of separation anxiety.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with nursing your baby to sleep, it's the way mankind has been putting babies and young children to sleep since the beginning of mankind.  I also don't see anything wrong with bed sharing.  We bedshared with our daughter for almost 2 years.  But if that isn't a route you want to take then you may just have to get up and nurse baby and lay her back down in her bed.  Maybe try laying your hand on her chest and leaving it there until she is completely asleep.  At this age you may just have to get up a lot of times a night, that is why I prefer to bedshare.  Sleep training isn't healthy and even if it was it's not recommended you begin any type of sleep training until after 6 months.  My best advice is just to hang in there, this is a phase that will pass in time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)