Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

4 month old will not sleep more than an hour....EDIT... Edit again :)

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi ladies! I am new to this group and I'm having a bit of a problem. For the first 3 months of my daughters life she was a great sleeper. At night we would put her down with a pacifier and she'd be asleep within a half hour. She slept 8 hours at a time, and after nursing would sleep another 4. We were doing great!

Well, after she turned 3 months she stopped taking the pacifier, so I started nursing her to sleep every night. Probably not the best thing to do, in hindsight. Now she is 4 1/2 months old and will only sleep with me in bed! If I put her down in her crib or bassinett she will sleep for an hour then wake up. This will happen all night until I bring her into my bed. I love snuggling with her, but I want my bed back and I want her to have good sleeping habits.

Does anyone have any tips? I don't want to do CIO. I feel too bad when I try it.

Sorry for any typos! I am mobile and have a baby in my lap :)

Edit:

Thank you everyone who replied kindly. I didn't realize I would create so much drama with this post! My daughter is breastfed but takes a bottle of breastmilk every Monday night when I am not home. I will not be giving her any cereals, so don't worry :) You ladies have convinced me that nursing to sleep is not going to ruin my baby. I am not one for bed sharing, but it seems I may have a lot of it in my future! Thanks to those who reminded me that they are only young once. I will enjoy this time with my girl and give her whatever she needs from me. :) I guess I just needed some encouragement and to know that this is all normal.

Edit 2:

She slept for 5 hours straight tonight! I heard her crying and by the time I got to her she had put herself back to sleep. That has never happened before. Then she did the same thing twice more! I needed that longer stretch of sleep. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Replies (81-90):
Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Terrible advice. She is breastfed. You're suggesting over feeding a baby.

Quoting RetiredUSAFWife:

Well the only way you'll fix it is to let her know that you're in charge. It will only last a few days. My children slept through the night at a very early age. They were well fed and they were happy children. So it's your choice, You should be in charge not your child. Feed her before she cries for her food, and make sure she drinks at least four or five ounces or more at each feeding. At that age, she should probably be drinking a full bottle of formula three to four times a day, along with solid foods like fruit & veggies etc.

jridgill
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:30 PM
I co slept with both my breastfe babies. I slept without a shirt most of the time. They needed access a all times. I night weaned my son at 14 months. And weaned him all together at 19 months.
I nigh weaned my daughter at 13 months and weaned all together at 14 months.

Hugs - I hope you figure out a solution that works. My kids were boobaholics. I just kept
Repeating over and over

It will not last forever
It will not last forever

They are only young once
They are only young once
bellaamore
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Quoting kayleyrae90:

Well she has had a bottle several times because I have mama time every Monday evening. My husband feeds her and puts her to bed while I'm gone.
I don't sleep very well with her in the bed, and I just don't want her to get too used to it. I love snuggling with her in the mornings though!

Quoting Marimaru:

If you want to continue nursing, I don't recommend the bottle route.  It's as likely as anything that your baby may come to prefer the bottle.  Or she may reject the bottle altogether.  If she accepts the bottle, you will have the fight of removing the night time bottle later.

For me, at that young, I see nothing wrong with her being in your bed if you don't mind.  My baby slept with us most nights until recently, she is nearly 6 months old.

Op, please only allow a bottle if you arent there or if you just absolutely need a break.

Please do not give your baby cereal this young, especially in a bottle. Its not good for them and breastfed babies do really bad on it digestive wise.

I would try side caring the bed. Just take one side off her crib and attach the frame of her crib to the frame of yourbed via bungy cords, or wedge it between yourbed nd a wall. This will give her the closeness she needs, the convenience for nursing, and the ability to get a qualityleep without her in your bed.

Once she gets older and youare ready to move the crib away, put up the side. Get her used to it. After a couple months, push it away a few feet. Move ten more feetaftera few weeks, etc.

This is a very simple way to give her what she needs without going too far to one side or the other. We just moved my daughter to her crib Across the room from us at thirteen months and she took to itamazingly. She is sleeping twelve hours,only waking semi a couple times and dozing back off immediately until seven am when she wants milk, then out again inher bed until ten thirty am. This is twelve hours! 

Good luck.

AshleySail
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this
YOU clearly haven't done enough research

Quoting Pessema:

Think whatever you want. You clearly haven't done enough research. 

Quoting Loralismommy224:

Quoting Pessema:

Pediatricians are only required to get 1 HOUR of nutrition in their training/education! Newer evidence proves that cereal is bad for them, especially that young! The only time cereal should be added is in the case of severe AR...NO CEREAL! BF babies have to eat more frequently than ff babies bc the milk absorbs easier & faster. It's normal for a baby that age to have to wake up @ least once a night to nurse. No baby sleeps completely through the night. The baby's digestive system can't break down the cereal at that age, so it just sits in their intestines/gut & rots (which is why it fills them up longer, & not in a good way).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crazedmama06
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this

My youngest did that. Was almost sleeping through the night completely and then around 4 months he started waking during the night. Hubby was having some bad PTSD moments so baby couldn't be in our bed. Instead we ended up moving the crib into the room and our rocking chair. I'd rock while nursing, then once asleep put back in the crib and I'd go to bed. At about 6 months hubby deployed so baby would just come to bed whenever he woke up.He ended up getting up every 1.5hrs until he night weaned at 12 months and then he started sleeping longer. at 14 months he completely weaned and had no problems going to bed on his own. :) HUGS. It's soooooooo hard. I remember wanting to give up. But a baby doesn't think of this in a bad way. He just wants comfort and love. Feeding solids at this point won't help but could make it worse. Bottle feeding will just make it harder on both of you. Just nurse him. It's going to be gone so fast. Just enjoy. :) Also wearing during the day will be HEAVEN!!! Ergos are my little piece of break. :) 

cl1998
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:58 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree, at this age u don't need to "fix" them??!! Just settle in and go with it. At this age babies are starting to go through soooo many changes from growth spurts to teething! If it was me going through that I'd have issues sleeping too;) I am a bfeeding mama and have also have had 3 others who were formula fed. Do not give baby cereal before 6 months (hell I wouldn't give it at all!! It's just filler) Keep nursing so your supplies stays up and eventually this time will pass. Oh and FYI I wasn't able to pump to help my supply....not sure who said that. I know for me personally it did not work. My ds wouldn't take a bottle anyways after 2 months :/ good luck and come to the breast feeding group for nursing questions!!

Quoting Mom2Just1:

Terrible advice. She is breastfed. You're suggesting over feeding a baby.

Quoting RetiredUSAFWife:

Well the only way you'll fix it is to let her know that you're in charge. It will only last a few days. My children slept through the night at a very early age. They were well fed and they were happy children. So it's your choice, You should be in charge not your child. Feed her before she cries for her food, and make sure she drinks at least four or five ounces or more at each feeding. At that age, she should probably be drinking a full bottle of formula three to four times a day, along with solid foods like fruit & veggies etc.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Quoting MixedCooke:

1) The first bout of separation anxiety starts at 3 months--give her something you have worn so she has Mommy scent for comfort.

2) Maybe put a playpen in your room so she can still hear you near

3) Infant massage--start at the feet and rub towards the heart--increases circulation, growth, development, bond and who wouldnt pass out after a full body massage?

4) white noise--buffers outside sound and if you use a fan, it will ciculate the air and reduce the risk of SIDS

5) black out shades/curtains--especially during the day

6) routine, routine, routine

7) having a schedule can also help--my general rule was 2 hours up and then down for a nap.

8) too young for CIO

3) < It also helps to stretch out the muscles and bones. Just make sure that you ask your baby. (Yes, I know how that sounds, but when I took a class for infant massage the instructor said that she had forgotten to ask and her baby tensed all her muscles and screamed, until she asked, then her baby relaxed as best she could, and allowed the massage.) My son loves this at night. He doesn't always ask for it, but when he does, I oblige him, he usually asks when he is having issues getting settled to go upstairs for sleep, don't ask me how he knows, but he does.)

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Aww great update mama! I'm glad things are getting better. Just a heads up, expect a similar situation to happen between 8-10 months too, this one is usually the worst lol. But remember, it always passes!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol, so true! I have to supplement and I do it during the day if at all possible. I cannot imagine having to do all that work at 3 in the morning!

Quoting mamabens:

I'm still trying to figure out  how that will get mom more sleep. Instead of  what I did(have the crib side carred & jsut roll over & pop the boob in his mouth & go back to sleep) she would have to get up, boil water, mix it with the powdered formula, let it cool, while having a  screaming hungry baby &then feed baby.(and yes for those who will say otherwise, that is how you have to PROPERLY fix powdered formula to kill the bacteria & bugs in it) I think my way gets me MUCH more sleep!

Quoting mamoore83:

Why does teaching baby it's bottle time is ok? 

Quoting Pessema:

The only thing to do is when she wakes up start giving her a bottle instead of nursing, then put her right back in her crib. It might take a little bit but soon she will learn that waking up doesnt mean boob time.

MalakbelLacuna
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:25 AM

your edits made my day

youre right- she will only be this small for so long and then she will be a five year old telling you she can tuck herself in :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)