Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

The dreaded car/car seat

Posted by   + Show Post
My dd will be 5 mos on the 30th and STILL screams bloody murder in the car. The whole entire ride. I figure shed be used to it by now. I've tried everything- put a shirt w my scent back w her, toys, mirror, light up mirror, music, paci, -- she's fine if I'm back w her giving her a bottle. But obv I can't do that when I have to drive! I was thinking maybe cuz the first month of her life she was in the nicu so never was in a car. My dd#1 loved the car. What do I do!??? It drives me crazy!! When should this pass?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Replies (11-20):
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Are they still in a carrier?  It may be the seat :(  Mine did this until we put him in the convertible seat.  It sits up a lil more than the carrier and he could see more.  Children need to be facing the rear until AT LEAST 2years of age.

Babies R Us is having their big trade in event.  You take an old thing and use as a 'coupon' and trade in for 25% off a big baby item (car seat, crib, etc).

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM

some kids don't get over it for a while if ever.

can you remove some of the inserts to see if they are making her uncomfortable/hot? (read you manual to see what must remain and what can be removed) 

Our middle didn't stop fussing in the car seat until we got her a convertible seat, it put her up higher where she could see out, and it sat more upright than the bucket seat and she liked that as well.

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely, it's illegal to forward face at 5 months, they must be BOTH 1 year old AND 20lbs to face the front.  It's much safer if they face the rear until at least 2, preferably until they reach the height or weight limits of their convertible seat.

Quoting mandapanda82:

No-- I have one from dd1 should I just put it in rear still?

Quoting Randi02:

Is she in a covertible seat? If not, I would try that.

We skip the infant seat altogether.

mandapanda82
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Well yes, I'd def keep her rear facing- too dangerous not too. Heck I don't even like having to have her sit by the window instead of the middle.

Quoting emkirkley:

Absolutely, it's illegal to forward face at 5 months, they must be BOTH 1 year old AND 20lbs to face the front.  It's much safer if they face the rear until at least 2, preferably until they reach the height or weight limits of their convertible seat.

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting Randi02:

mandapanda82
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I guess I'll try the convertible I have one from dd #1 it's a britax marathon, the fun cowmooflauge print:) It's only a couple years old.

Quoting rHOPEb:

Are they still in a carrier?  It may be the seat :(  Mine did this until we put him in the convertible seat.  It sits up a lil more than the carrier and he could see more.  Children need to be facing the rear until AT LEAST 2years of age.

Babies R Us is having their big trade in event.  You take an old thing and use as a 'coupon' and trade in for 25% off a big baby item (car seat, crib, etc).

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Then I guess I mis-understood the question?  what do you want to know? 

"should I just put it in rear still?"

Quoting mandapanda82:

Well yes, I'd def keep her rear facing- too dangerous not too. Heck I don't even like having to have her sit by the window instead of the middle.

Quoting emkirkley:

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting Randi02:

mandapanda82
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Well I didn't know if those were made for rear facing

Quoting emkirkley:

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting emkirkley:

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting Randi02:

mamabens
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:17 PM

THIS

Quoting Randi02:

BabyFruit Ticker

mamabens
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Depends ont he seat but if it's a true convertible seat then yes it's made to rf & ff. What seat is it?

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting emkirkley:

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting emkirkley:

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting Randi02:

BabyFruit Ticker

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:19 PM

a convertible seat is made to rear face then convert to a forward facing seat, a combination seat is a forward facing seat that is also a booster seat (a combination of both)...the Marathon (I think that's what you said in another post) is a convertible, it's for use both rear and forward facing. 

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting emkirkley:

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting emkirkley:

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting Randi02:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN