Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

The dreaded car/car seat

Posted by   + Show Post
My dd will be 5 mos on the 30th and STILL screams bloody murder in the car. The whole entire ride. I figure shed be used to it by now. I've tried everything- put a shirt w my scent back w her, toys, mirror, light up mirror, music, paci, -- she's fine if I'm back w her giving her a bottle. But obv I can't do that when I have to drive! I was thinking maybe cuz the first month of her life she was in the nicu so never was in a car. My dd#1 loved the car. What do I do!??? It drives me crazy!! When should this pass?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Replies (21-30):
mamalusbear
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:20 PM

My DS did that, and he quit around 8 months.  I agree that taking him out of the infant seat and putting him a convertible carseat helped a lot.  He would get really hot in the infant seat.

mandapanda82
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:21 PM
Oh good!

Quoting emkirkley:

a convertible seat is made to rear face then convert to a forward facing seat, a combination seat is a forward facing seat that is also a booster seat (a combination of both)...the Marathon (I think that's what you said in another post) is a convertible, it's for use both rear and forward facing. 

Quoting mandapanda82:

Well I didn't know if those were made for rear facing

Quoting emkirkley:

Then I guess I mis-understood the question?  what do you want to know? 

"should I just put it in rear still?"

Quoting mandapanda82:

Well yes, I'd def keep her rear facing- too dangerous not too. Heck I don't even like having to have her sit by the window instead of the middle.

Quoting emkirkley:

Absolutely, it's illegal to forward face at 5 months, they must be BOTH 1 year old AND 20lbs to face the front.  It's much safer if they face the rear until at least 2, preferably until they reach the height or weight limits of their convertible seat.

Quoting mandapanda82:

No-- I have one from dd1 should I just put it in rear still?

Quoting Randi02:

Is she in a covertible seat? If not, I would try that.

We skip the infant seat altogether.

mandapanda82
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Britax marathon, I think it's a convertible- emkirkley (a poster) said she thinks it is, I'm just gonna google to make sure

Quoting mamabens:

Depends ont he seat but if it's a true convertible seat then yes it's made to rf & ff. What seat is it?

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting emkirkley:

Quoting mandapanda82:

Well yes, I'd def keep her rear facing- too dangerous not too. Heck I don't even like having to have her sit by the window instead of the middle.

Quoting emkirkley:

Absolutely, it's illegal to forward face at 5 months, they must be BOTH 1 year old AND 20lbs to face the front.  It's much safer if they face the rear until at least 2, preferably until they reach the height or weight limits of their convertible seat.

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting Randi02:

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:31 PM

it is, the only FF seat they have is the frontier in the US.

Should be easy to install.

now, you said you have an older child.  if the older child is forward facing she should be the one in the middle, not the rear facing child.  general rule of thumb if you can get good installs is that the least protected child (forward facing or booster) should be in the most protected spot (middle seat).

regardless, the marathon will rear face, if you don't have the manual look it up online or call and have them ship you one, if you doubt your install look for CPSTs in your area and make an appointment.

when rear facing the straps should be even with or behind/below the shoulder. no heavy clothes, coats, snow suits, only use the infant padding if you must per the instructions because it tends to make them hot and that makes them fussy, should not be able to pinch a fold in the fabric in the straps at BOTH the shoulder and the hip.

Quoting mandapanda82:

Britax marathon, I think it's a convertible- emkirkley (a poster) said she thinks it is, I'm just gonna google to make sure

Quoting mamabens:

Depends ont he seat but if it's a true convertible seat then yes it's made to rf & ff. What seat is it?

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting emkirkley:

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting emkirkley:

Quoting mandapanda82:

Quoting Randi02:

Mrs.Bolin
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Every baby is different and it will go away eventually. Has nothing to do with being in the nicu. They just gotta get use to thier new life. Just stay calm as much as possible. Let her cry it out

Mrs.Bolin
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Dont go out and get a new carseat just yet cause most likely thats not what it is. Give it time

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
mandapanda82
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Well we have one anyways from my 4 y/o I'm just gonna give it a try

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

Dont go out and get a new carseat cause most likely thats not what it is. Give it time

Mrs.Bolin
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 5:58 PM

good deal, if u have one already then go for it

Quoting mandapanda82:

Well we have one anyways from my 4 y/o I'm just gonna give it a try

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

Dont go out and get a new carseat cause most likely thats not what it is. Give it time

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
fortressmom
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Two of my 4 have loved the car and the other two hated it. Some just don't ever get to where they will tolerate it. It seemed like my 2nd one adjusted to it around 6 or 7 months old. It's been awhile though as she's 10 now. I'm still working on it with the new babe. He's only 4 weeks, so I have a feeling we're in for it for a long while still!

Marimaru
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 7:43 PM

If you have one, try a different carseat.  Definitely still rear facing.  Likely where you are the law says rear facing to a year and 20 lbs.  My nephew HATED the carseat his parents had bought, but didn't mind the one my mom bought, so she traded with them because he was in her car way less.  It made a huge difference for them.  It made a big differences for my daughter to trade out her carrier for the convertable carseat too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN