Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Baby Wearing for longer periods of time

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:43 PM
  • 27 Replies

How long do you wear your baby?

My Lil Chunker is 6mos.  He's around 21lbs.  I wore him for over 2hrs Saturday and he put a strain on my shoulders.  He was outward-facing in a Mai Tei.  Did I wear him wrong for him to put a strain on me?  Its more convenient to wear him and I enjoy it, but he's so heavy!  What is a good way that will not hurt me.  I have migraines and they come from straining muscles/nerves in my neck.  Thanks!

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I wore Lola (almost 7 mo) yesterday for about 3-4 hours in my ergo... I would have been fine with just her, but my diaper bag was really getting too heavy and I have to keep switching the shoulder it was on.  

I wasn't aware you could outward face with a mai tei?   I would say the outward facing is your problem... throws off your balance so you're always trying to compensate rather than baby just moving with you. 

alexislovesjr
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:48 PM

2 hrs straight with no break is a lil long for a 6 month old. I would suggest alternating. That what me and my hubby used to do with our boys. 35-40 mins each. I usually stop using a carrier when they're around 7-8 months old.

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting alexislovesjr:

2 hrs straight with no break is a lil long for a 6 month old. I would suggest alternating. That what me and my hubby used to do with our boys. 35-40 mins each. I usually stop using a carrier when they're around 7-8 months old.

Then what do you do with them??   haha!    The older baby/toddler stage is the best for baby wearing!   Keep them contained and entertained while shopping, etc...   :)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I usually wear him facing me at the grocery store, but we were at a strip mall with family and he kept looking around.  So, I figured I'd face him out.  Oh, and I was carrying the diaper bag too :/  

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

I wore Lola (almost 7 mo) yesterday for about 3-4 hours in my ergo... I would have been fine with just her, but my diaper bag was really getting too heavy and I have to keep switching the shoulder it was on.  

I wasn't aware you could outward face with a mai tei?   I would say the outward facing is your problem... throws off your balance so you're always trying to compensate rather than baby just moving with you. 

Kitschy
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I used and Ergo and was able to wear my two year old for extended periods of time while I was pregnant. In fact I used to hike 3 miles a day with her on my back. The ergo rocks. I would still be using it if my son enjoyed riding in it. He's 2

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:54 PM
I still go for hikes with my almost 2 year old in the ERGO. I don't waste my time going up into the mountains if I'm not going to stay at least a few hours. It's never been a problem for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I would've put him on my back but it was an outside strip mall and I didn't have a large enough coat to cover both of us.  I left it on the couch :(

Quoting Kitschy:

I used and Ergo and was able to wear my two year old for extended periods of time while I was pregnant. In fact I used to hike 3 miles a day with her on my back. The ergo rocks. I would still be using it if my son enjoyed riding in it. He's 2

Kitschy
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I think for me it was more the ergo and not if the child was back or front. It puts the weight on your hips so it's easier to carry for longer periods of time.

Quoting rHOPEb:

I would've put him on my back but it was an outside strip mall and I didn't have a large enough coat to cover both of us.  I left it on the couch :(

Quoting Kitschy:

Eliots_momma
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this
We walked around the biltmore house for about 5 hours and I baby wore. I took him out to change him but there was no problem. He is 7 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellaamore
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Angelle was ten pounds at borth, was at twenty pounds by six months. I always had issues with my neck, back or shoulders wearing her in anything but a moby.

Even now, she is 13 months, and i can wear her for long walks in the moby and i never have a tired achy muscle up top.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)