Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Baby Wearing for longer periods of time

Posted by   + Show Post

How long do you wear your baby?

My Lil Chunker is 6mos.  He's around 21lbs.  I wore him for over 2hrs Saturday and he put a strain on my shoulders.  He was outward-facing in a Mai Tei.  Did I wear him wrong for him to put a strain on me?  Its more convenient to wear him and I enjoy it, but he's so heavy!  What is a good way that will not hurt me.  I have migraines and they come from straining muscles/nerves in my neck.  Thanks!

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Replies (11-20):
_Mrs.H_
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this

The Ergo is the only one that I can use for long periods of time.  

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

to be honest.....I forgot that my moby was in the car.  I had my ring sling and mai tei out.  He hasn't been in the moby since birth b/c he stays so hot. I bet it would be better now that's its cooler out.  Definitely need to get it back out and try!!! 

Quoting bellaamore:

Angelle was ten pounds at borth, was at twenty pounds by six months. I always had issues with my neck, back or shoulders wearing her in anything but a moby.

Even now, she is 13 months, and i can wear her for long walks in the moby and i never have a tired achy muscle up top.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Hmm.....around 3 hours

nicki.hemingway
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I have worn my 31 month old ds (28lbs) for up to 4 hours with a toddler hawk.  Did you pull your straps too tight maybe?  Also make sure you little one is sitting correctly in the carrier if they are off center it can cause the pull to be off.  I also reguarly wear my 19 month old Dd (will be 20 months on Sunday) in our moby.  She is around 21 lbs.  It all depends on the carrier and what position the child is in.  My kids do not like foreward facing in any carrier.  DS prefers being on my back and DD prefers to face me or be on my hip. 

Please excuse my typos. I baby wear at the computer and I have to type around a bobbing head.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Amberleigh81
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I have heard forward facing hurts mama and baby.

I wear my 21 pound 15mo the majority of my shift at work (paint-your-own-pottery store)... sometimes he's in it between 4-6 hours... I will be bending down on my knees, over a sink washing brushes, loading and unloading kilns... totally comfortable.

I usually back carry with my Ergo. Occasionally I RS if he's being clingy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommaoftwo
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

When my kids got to the nosey stage, I put them on my back, I've never had their back to my body though.

But my 17 month old only weighs 19 lbs, granted I also wore my 3 yr old and he was 25+lbs

Quoting rHOPEb:

I usually wear him facing me at the grocery store, but we were at a strip mall with family and he kept looking around.  So, I figured I'd face him out.  Oh, and I was carrying the diaper bag too :/  

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

I wore Lola (almost 7 mo) yesterday for about 3-4 hours in my ergo... I would have been fine with just her, but my diaper bag was really getting too heavy and I have to keep switching the shoulder it was on.  

I wasn't aware you could outward face with a mai tei?   I would say the outward facing is your problem... throws off your balance so you're always trying to compensate rather than baby just moving with you. 

Mommy of FIVE!!!

Tara~12.16.03  Zachary~5.17.05  Rowan~1.17.09  Willow~8/10/11 Baby~ EDA 1/27/13

mommaoftwo
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I am also guilty of having too many baby carriers lol, well at least according to DH!

I have an ergo, a moby and a woven.

CelestialSong
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

When mine was teeny (under 6 months) I would wear her for hours at a time in the Sleepy Wrap. I hardly even noticed she was there! She's 18 months now and the most comfortable position for both of us is her in a back carry in the Ergo, but she would rather walk or be held in my arms so I can't wear her very long anymore.

Marimaru
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I've found outward facing is always more straining to me than inward.  When they face inward they conform more to your shape, if that makes any sense.  Of course, at that age it's hard, because they definitely want to be looking around.  I wore my almost 6m old for about 3 hours one day when we were traveling.  I was a bit sore that day too.

iansmommy9
by Natasha on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:09 PM

My son refused the carrier.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN