Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Constipation vent

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:38 PM
  • 18 Replies

First off please don't bash me for not BFing I tried for the first full week but she wasn't getting anything, I even tried pumping and nothing came out and I didn't even leak or ever become "engourged". She'd cry for hours until I broke down and gave her formula and it did the trick and she stopped crying I'm assuming because she was "full". I'm at my witts end right now. My poor DD is so constipated & gassy and she's miserable it's killing me. She's 2 weeks old and this damn formula is constipating her something wicked. I'm on WIC and they give Enfamil Infant....unless the doctor says something different. The doctor was going to switch her to the gentlease but wanted me to try the home remedy for constipation first -- 1TBSP of brown sugar in 2oz of water. It worked wonders yesterday because I had noticed her belly was firm and she hadn't pooped since Saturday morning. She had one big nasty runny poop yesterday evening and then that was it, still nothing today. She doesn't want to be put down, she screams like a banshee and pulls her legs up to her chest, she wants to be held to my chest and I rub her back and she passes out. While she's sleeping she makes the most God awful faces and starts grunting like she's pooping but there's nothing there at all (except pee). She just recently started gagging and then belching....I think I'm in for a long night I don't want to do the sugar water again because I don't want to give her to much water. I just wish tomorrow was Wednesday so she could have her pedi appointent :-\

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I've never dealt with a constipated baby. I hope you get this figured out

((Hugs))

shjchica
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:22 PM

It's ridiculous. When my sister and I were babies we couldn't have enfamil because we had the same problem from it and so haven't a lot of my friends babies.

Quoting la_bella_vita:

((Hugs))

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this
This.

Also none of those things you said indicate a lack of milk supply. If you want to try to bf again, it's certainly not too late :-)

Good luck figuring it out.

(and please don't listen to the people who suggest Karo syrup, it's a botulism risk just like honey)

Quoting la_bella_vita:

((Hugs))

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Aww : / I've never used enfamil.

Quoting shjchica:

It's ridiculous. When my sister and I were babies we couldn't have enfamil because we had the same problem from it and so haven't a lot of my friends babies.

Quoting la_bella_vita:

((Hugs))

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Water for a 2 week old baby is not safe. It also fills baby up so baby doesn't get the nutrition of the formula.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:37 PM
2 moms liked this
Any doc who recommends sugar water for a newborn needs their license revoked. Water that young can kill a baby. Are you extremely dependent on WIC? (NOT judging).. Any way you can switch the formula without relying on them?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Um no, don't give brown sugar! I would be seeking a new pediatrician after that horrible advice.  She is TWO WEEKS old for crying out loud!!!

True constipation is coming out in small, hard little pellets.  Is that how she is pooping? If not, she is probably not constipated and instead having gas pains which is totally normal for babies since their digestive tracts aren't as mature as ours are.  You can try gripe water, simethicone drops, burping in the middle of feedings before continuing the feed, etc.

ZakkarysMom
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:51 PM
This! Babies do not need sugar. And water can make them sick. Plain water that is. The only liquid they need is milk. Do not use karo syrup or juice either. I would get another dr because whoever told you to give your baby sugar water is an IDIOT. Sounds like you need to switch formula. Get a new dr and get a prescription to give to Wic. Good luck.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Any doc who recommends sugar water for a newborn needs their license revoked. Water that young can kill a baby. Are you extremely dependent on WIC? (NOT judging).. Any way you can switch the formula without relying on them?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Seriously, 2 ounces is like a full feeding too. Would you consider donor milk? Eats on Feets and Human milk 4 human babies are good resources. Many women are donor approved by milk banks and will give you blood test results to prove their milk is safe. May be a good option.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shjchica
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Sadly I am, especially with me not working right now it's tough. Once I go back to work it won't be AS bad because there will be another income coming in. Right now I'm depending on DH to pay all the bills out of his paycheck with very little to spare - usually just enough to pick up some odds and ends. I know they'll change her as long as the doctor says to change her, but it'd still be something in the Enfamil family...my friend had WIC too and had to go from Enfamil Infant to Enfamil Gentlease for her daughter and it made a world of difference. *sigh*

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)